Immigration Police calling in to hotels ?

HamonRye

A group of about 8 to 10 of them walked into the hotel reception yesterday.

Surprised to find out they come around the hotels everyday.

Is it now normal for them to be questioning tourists sat in hotel receptions?

Havent been here awile.

23 minutes ago, baansgr said:

No, there job is to check tourists have been registered, not to interrogate innocents on holiday.

Yeah,

That's the way i see it.

All that's needed is a quiet word with the hotel owner who can show them that the person has been registered on their phone.

All sign in books for hotels have "1000 baht fine" written on them if its incorrectly or partially filled, so in most cases i dont see the need to be hassling tourists IF they have already been shown the registry form online.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

get used to it will only get worse...

Yep something going on, police never use to come to my house to check passport before.

2 year ago 1 visit from tourist police.

Last year 1 visit local police 1 more by tourist police.

This year 1 visit from tourist police,  1 visit local police,  1 visit Immigration police with local police. 

I guess it's Joker, Batman where are you. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yep something going on, police never use to come to my house to check passport before.
2 year ago 1 visit from tourist police.
Last year 1 visit local police 1 more by tourist police.
This year 1 visit from tourist police,  1 visit local police,  1 visit Immigration police with local police. 
I guess it's Joker, Batman where are you. [emoji41]

Maybe you’re their “go to good guy” in the area now. They can pop in to your place to appease the jokers mandate and know you’ll be in compliance. Then they can report back everything is in order in their sector, no bad guys here and return to playing on their phones in the air conditioned barracks.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Maybe you’re their “go to good guy” in the area now. They can pop in to your place to appease the jokers mandate and know you’ll be in compliance. Then they can report back everything is in order in their sector, no bad guys here and return to playing on their phones in the air conditioned barracks.

I wouldn't disagree been here long enough the local cops are OK bunch as far as I know, they all know me but still apologize to the Mrs and 1 is family.

I am only 1 of 4 farangies of long stay in our large village so they don't have many to check on.

I think there are others a bit further out but never hear anything going on with anyone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Just wait till BJ shows up on your doorstep one day, with his aides and accompany army carrying a big color posterboard of miscreants in tow... Then you'll really be famous!!! :tongue:

• Haha 1

In the soi behind my Chiang Mai condo building there are several fairly new hostels that appeal to backpackers, but the hostel owners do a good job of filing TM30s on-line.  There are also some restaurants/bars that appeal to the same crowd, but they really aren't noisy and close by midnight.  Also, barber and beauty shops, nail salon, travel agency that offers visa run services, drug store -- basically a busy little neighborhood that's popular with backpackers who really don't look like a rough crowd.  It's not Nimman but it's not Loi Kroh either.  Still, about once or twice a month someone from Immigration swoops through the 'hood, checking the TM30 filings at the hostels and going into the restaurants/bars asking to see everyone's passports.  A little over the top, IMO.   

• Sad 2

All foreigner as potential criminals until proved otherwise.  Due process and presumption of innocence.
<laughs> That's a bygone era even in the West.  Never was established here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What exactly did they do with you, on each of those lovely home visits???

Stare at my four really excited, snarling, barking dogs who didn't know who the hell they were. 
Although it has nothing to do with immigration, we have them for a reason.  And they do their job.  And nobody will ever get hurt unless they come over the fence uninvited. 
But I've had no visit since the Erawan Bombing where all evil foreigner where suspect!!!

Edited by connda

4 hours ago, HamonRye said:

Yeah,

That's the way i see it.

All that's needed is a quiet word with the hotel owner who can show them that the person has been registered on their phone.

All sign in books for hotels have "1000 baht fine" written on them if its incorrectly or partially filled, so in most cases i dont see the need to be hassling tourists IF they have already been shown the registry form online.

If they had a tip, or in impromptu quick check on a hotel with issues in the past -- then they might do a check like that... the numbers are just to make sure that when they are doing the check -- the person or persons they are looking for don't slip out a different exit or go around them.

On the bight-side...  being spot checked in a hotel is the best place to be checked... you should be very close to your passport and that makes it easy ????

Don't forget why they're doing this, it's to make sure the terrorist bombers are registered so after the attack they can just drive to the hotel and pick them up.

After that the bins will come back in the malls....

Which part of Thailand? And their visit may have had nothing to do with guests but to know if guests were staying less than 30 days .

with the hotel license crackdown , many hotels without the silly piece of paper got creative by changing signs and removing daily rates. The only way for police or officials to bust a hotel is if guests confirm they are staying less than 30 days.

not saying this was the case but a possibility 

I was in Thailand on a long stay visa O-A.  I check in an out a particular hotel in Bangkok frequently because I travel to other locations, but store my baggage.  When I checked in after I had been staying in that hotel in a span of 60 days, the receptionIST asked to see my arrival/departure card.  Guess they needed to know if I was in overstay status. That was in March 2019. Once they saw that I could stay in Thailand until December 2019, I was not asked for Arrival/Departure card again, just passport.  It can bee seen that Immigration is more aggressive about checking for Overstays, and are using all sources at their disposal.  I am back in the USA now, but return to Thailand before the end of 2019.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just wait till BJ shows up on your doorstep one day, with his aides and accompany army carrying a big color posterboard of miscreants in tow... Then you'll really be famous!!! :tongue:

Well if does I will send a message to Batman on Facebook and he can deal with Joker. 

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What exactly did they do with you, on each of those lovely home visits???

They said hello to me very politely and I have posted before on similar threads like this, they take photo's of my passport pages, Thai driving licence, Yellow house book and then do a photo session with them and tell you to smile. ????

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

They said hello to me very politely and I have posted before on similar threads like this, they take photo's of my passport pages, Thai driving licence, Yellow house book and then do a photo session with them and tell you to smile. ????

For photo purposes, I wonder if the average Thai knows what "flipping the bird" looks like???

Or, you could just tell them, sorry no photos... I don't want anyone recognizing me from Interpol's "red notice" list!  :tongue:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For photo purposes, I wonder if the average Thai knows what "flipping the bird" looks like???

Or, you could just tell them, sorry no photos... I don't want anyone recognizing me from Interpol's "red notice" list!  :tongue:

Well as I said they know me and I know them, my wife knows them.

Why on earth would I do what you suggest.

If your serious you'd better be careful what hand signals you give.