Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Come on mate.

He gets one of the greats on and all he did was question why he went on and why he was playing bad.

He's chief writer for the Sun so watching footy is his job. If he hasn't been watching him, he shouldn't be questioning his form.

Thought it was really disrespectful to bring up past criticisms.

Not the right time for that line of questioning one would've thought. It's supposed to be a celebration of his career, not a critique.

I think it's been made bigger than it was and after re-watching it, I was wrong when I said that I thought Robbo had prefaced his question about not watching him this season...

He's a writer so it is kind of his job to be asking questions - good or bad - it had minimal impact on the interview overall and Pav nailed the response.

Guess we'll agree to disagree Khun Will and that's ok, pretty sure we're both mature enough to not chuck our toys out of the cot over our differing opinions ;)

• Like 1

Come on mate.

He gets one of the greats on and all he did was question why he went on and why he was playing bad.

He's chief writer for the Sun so watching footy is his job. If he hasn't been watching him, he shouldn't be questioning his form.

Not the right time for that line of questioning one would've thought. It's supposed to be a celebration of his career, not a critique.

I think it's been made bigger than it was and after re-watching it, I was wrong when I said that I thought Robbo had prefaced his question about not watching him this season...

He's a writer so it is kind of his job to be asking questions - good or bad - it had minimal impact on the interview overall and Pav nailed the response.

Guess we'll agree to disagree Khun Will and that's ok, pretty sure we're both mature enough to not chuck our toys out of the cot over our differing opinions ;)

what do the Freo supporters think?

As long as Horse leaves Towers off in the last 2 minutes we should be ok! Hahahah

Starting to sound like 2012 all over again, when we had big Mummy out with a busted knee as well, big old Lumberjack stepped in for a cameo and away we went and the rest is, as they say, history...

As far as rucking goes, we should do alright, most of the sides we face - except for North (but we should have Cinderella back in) - have all lost their number 1 ruckman and I also think young Naismith's up to it. Nankervis, I not so sure about...

Horse will probably throw a curveball and have Aliir as the back up option...

Could be worse, we could be the Doggies..

Looks like Horse's is following this thread... In his presser just a moment ago...

"Aliir has done some ruck work for us on the reserves so we feel as though we have a few options."

I really hope they don't put Aliir in the ruck...it will disrupt the backline structure which is a work in progress

Was watching this and thought it was very untidy by Slobbo.

Let's get a champ on the show, tell him you think he's basically played crap this year, went on to long and then

bring up a criticism from years ago.

No mention of All Australian honours, leading goalkicking,F& b's etc etc.

Then for the rest of the show pulls himself stupid over Jimmy Bartel ( who seems like a great bloke BTW) and Boomerbah.gif

Docker Matthew Pavlich shirtfronts AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson after insult

Retiring Fremantle great Matthew Pavlich has been forced to vigorously defend his decision to play on in 2016.

AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson copped a smackdown from Pavlich on the popular Fox Footy program ahead of his 350th game against Sydney this Sunday at Domain Stadium.

Pavlich, 34, appeared stunned at first before gathering his composure and returning fire at the veteran Melbourne scribe.

"You may not have watched too much football Robbo, that would probably be my retort, particularly Fremantle games, if that's the way you've sort of viewed the year," Pavlich said.

"I feel like I've contributed really strongly to the team. It's been a challenging year, we haven't really got the ball in our forward half anywhere near as much as we'd like, and as a forward

you're always a byproduct of what's happening up the field.

"I don't have any regrets, I'm really content with my decision to play on. In a lot of ways, I'm extremely fulfilled by it."

Pavlich's predecessor as captain, Peter Bell, said he couldn't believe the disrespect Robinson showed the retiring champion, who captained Fremantle for nine seasons and will retire as its greatest player.

"His form hasn't dropped this year... it has been a tremendously disappointing year for Fremantle and you can make of it what you will but clearly Matthew Pavlich is still the best Fremantle key forward," Bell said.

"Pav's a big boy and I really didn't want to give this air because it distracts from the celebration of his career but it didn't leave me feeling that good.

"Whether you like Pav, love him or hate him, I don't think he deserved it.

"I found it stark the difference in Robbo's treatment of another great player in James Bartel, on the same night."

"He would actually be cringing that I brought this up again, that's the sort of person he is."

Bell, a friend and former teammate of Pavlich and now a board member at Fremantle, said he was flabbergasted with Robinson's line of questioning.

"Why would you get on a champion of the game in the twilight of his career, celebrating a 350-game milestone and then in a short little interview ask two questions that

in my humble opinion were disrespectful and inappropriate in the circumstances," Bell said.

"Surely you've had the time to prepare some questions."

Bell also berated Robinson for raising criticism of Pavlich's perceived lack of leadership aired by former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas several years ago.

"He used it as an opportunity to rehash criticisms that were highly contentious at the time and many would say highly without merit at the time. Why would you bother?" Bell said.

"By all means if it's a 30-minute expose you can bring up whatever you like, whatever you like, you can highlight the good, and the bad."

Pavlich told AFL 360 he would enter retirement happy he had left no stone unturned to get a premiership and every last inch out of his body.

"I really feel now, with these last four or five rounds to go, that by the end of that the sponge will be absolutely, complete wrung dry," he said.

"I'll have nothing left to give and feeling quite fulfilled."

Despite the team's poor performance, he had enjoyed "little wins" this season, including seeing the development of some of Fremantle's gun youngsters.

"In some ways, I can leave some type of legacy about hard work, determination and fighting through when times are tough," he said.

Pavlich, a six-time All-Australian and six-time best and fairest winner, has played more games (349) than any other AFL footballer from a WA club, with second-placed Eagle Dean Cox miles behind on 290.

The number four pick in the 1999 draft may be below his absolute best this season but he has led admirably, been effective and performed at a level above many of his teammates.

"He's been unbelievable this year, considering the season that Fremantle has had," Bell said.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon said he had wanted to see Pavlich - who won the minor premiership with Fremantle last season and was critical to the club earning its first grand final appearance in 2013 - retire with a flag to his name.

"We wish this year could have been a bit different. But at the end of the day it's still a pleasure to work with Matthew... he is quite miraculous in a lot of ways," Lyon said of his ability to perform at a high level for so long.

I didn't see too much in it at the time but I did like Pav's retort though and thought it was well played... In Robbo's defence, I thought he did preface his comment by saying something along the lines of that he hadn't watched too much of Freo - maybe I was imagining it.

Must've been a slow news day in the West if this is gaining traction though..

Come on mate.

Nothing in it IMO...I thought Robbo was pretty good actually. His questions were innocuous and what u should expect from a journo. Came across as a fairly soft fluff piece to me.

Maybe the Freo PR boffins are trying to attract a bigger crowd and interest for the game by making somethign out of nothing?

Here is the interview...

https://youtu.be/VCrlGHpONDQ?t=39m20s

BookMan, on 28 Jul 2016 - 09:39, said:BookMan, on 28 Jul 2016 - 09:39, said:BookMan, on 28 Jul 2016 - 09:39, said:
GrantSmith, on 28 Jul 2016 - 09:33, said:GrantSmith, on 28 Jul 2016 - 09:33, said:GrantSmith, on 28 Jul 2016 - 09:33, said:
Will27, on 28 Jul 2016 - 08:35, said:Will27, on 28 Jul 2016 - 08:35, said:Will27, on 28 Jul 2016 - 08:35, said:

Come on mate.

Guess we'll agree to disagree Khun Will and that's ok, pretty sure we're both mature enough to not chuck our toys out of the cot over our differing opinions wink.png

what do the Freo supporters think?

Didn't see it but will try to track it down, anyone got a link please ?

" He's a writer so it is kind of his job to be asking questions - good or bad "

Good or bad ?, still has to get or report facts as they are not some biased personal opinion.

Sorry, just found Bookmans link above.

I think you are right ,there wasn't much in it and Mathew handled it pretty well and didn't appear to be too upset.

• Like 1

Was watching this and thought it was very untidy by Slobbo.

Let's get a champ on the show, tell him you think he's basically played crap this year, went on to long and then

bring up a criticism from years ago.

No mention of All Australian honours, leading goalkicking,F& b's etc etc.

Then for the rest of the show pulls himself stupid over Jimmy Bartel ( who seems like a great bloke BTW) and Boomerbah.gif

Docker Matthew Pavlich shirtfronts AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson after insult

Retiring Fremantle great Matthew Pavlich has been forced to vigorously defend his decision to play on in 2016.

AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson copped a smackdown from Pavlich on the popular Fox Footy program ahead of his 350th game against Sydney this Sunday at Domain Stadium.

Pavlich, 34, appeared stunned at first before gathering his composure and returning fire at the veteran Melbourne scribe.

"You may not have watched too much football Robbo, that would probably be my retort, particularly Fremantle games, if that's the way you've sort of viewed the year," Pavlich said.

"I feel like I've contributed really strongly to the team. It's been a challenging year, we haven't really got the ball in our forward half anywhere near as much as we'd like, and as a forward

you're always a byproduct of what's happening up the field.

"I don't have any regrets, I'm really content with my decision to play on. In a lot of ways, I'm extremely fulfilled by it."

Pavlich's predecessor as captain, Peter Bell, said he couldn't believe the disrespect Robinson showed the retiring champion, who captained Fremantle for nine seasons and will retire as its greatest player.

"His form hasn't dropped this year... it has been a tremendously disappointing year for Fremantle and you can make of it what you will but clearly Matthew Pavlich is still the best Fremantle key forward," Bell said.

"Pav's a big boy and I really didn't want to give this air because it distracts from the celebration of his career but it didn't leave me feeling that good.

"Whether you like Pav, love him or hate him, I don't think he deserved it.

"I found it stark the difference in Robbo's treatment of another great player in James Bartel, on the same night."

"He would actually be cringing that I brought this up again, that's the sort of person he is."

Bell, a friend and former teammate of Pavlich and now a board member at Fremantle, said he was flabbergasted with Robinson's line of questioning.

"Why would you get on a champion of the game in the twilight of his career, celebrating a 350-game milestone and then in a short little interview ask two questions that

in my humble opinion were disrespectful and inappropriate in the circumstances," Bell said.

"Surely you've had the time to prepare some questions."

Bell also berated Robinson for raising criticism of Pavlich's perceived lack of leadership aired by former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas several years ago.

"He used it as an opportunity to rehash criticisms that were highly contentious at the time and many would say highly without merit at the time. Why would you bother?" Bell said.

"By all means if it's a 30-minute expose you can bring up whatever you like, whatever you like, you can highlight the good, and the bad."

Pavlich told AFL 360 he would enter retirement happy he had left no stone unturned to get a premiership and every last inch out of his body.

"I really feel now, with these last four or five rounds to go, that by the end of that the sponge will be absolutely, complete wrung dry," he said.

"I'll have nothing left to give and feeling quite fulfilled."

Despite the team's poor performance, he had enjoyed "little wins" this season, including seeing the development of some of Fremantle's gun youngsters.

"In some ways, I can leave some type of legacy about hard work, determination and fighting through when times are tough," he said.

Pavlich, a six-time All-Australian and six-time best and fairest winner, has played more games (349) than any other AFL footballer from a WA club, with second-placed Eagle Dean Cox miles behind on 290.

The number four pick in the 1999 draft may be below his absolute best this season but he has led admirably, been effective and performed at a level above many of his teammates.

"He's been unbelievable this year, considering the season that Fremantle has had," Bell said.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon said he had wanted to see Pavlich - who won the minor premiership with Fremantle last season and was critical to the club earning its first grand final appearance in 2013 - retire with a flag to his name.

"We wish this year could have been a bit different. But at the end of the day it's still a pleasure to work with Matthew... he is quite miraculous in a lot of ways," Lyon said of his ability to perform at a high level for so long.

I didn't see too much in it at the time but I did like Pav's retort though and thought it was well played... In Robbo's defence, I thought he did preface his comment by saying something along the lines of that he hadn't watched too much of Freo - maybe I was imagining it.

Must've been a slow news day in the West if this is gaining traction though..

Come on mate.

Nothing in it IMO...I thought Robbo was pretty good actually. His questions were innocuous and what u should expect from a journo. Came across as a fairly soft fluff piece to me.

Maybe the Freo PR boffins are trying to attract a bigger crowd and interest for the game by making somethign out of nothing?

Here is the interview...

https://youtu.be/VCrlGHpONDQ?t=39m20s

I would've thought it was meant to be a celebratory piece before his 350th, talking about his achievements.

Perhaps I read too much into it.

• Like 1

Teams are out for the round!

Put your house on Freo to beat the Swans! Look at who Sydney has named in the team again:

Jarrad McVeigh

ben Mcglynn

Toby Nankervis

Teddy Richards

Mcveigh is the only one of those 4 i want to see playing again this year. And even mcveigh is looking a bit older and not wiser. OKay, we need a ruck so Toby can play.

Freo to win by 23 points!

here are all the teams ...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Ummmmmm something funny going on around here, Well Will its thursday night teams are in, confidence sky high haven't missed a beat how does it feel that your almost across the line man?

Just to recap...Bucks actually seen him say on the telly tonight say there are players playing for there future down there at pie land.

So do expect the Pies to come out hard for at least a quarter WILL, North get there over the hill Top Gun back yawn, think he played full forward and they picked him up from the Blues a few years ago...so the rice is in the pudding too man...

Books has stated he is going for Freo due to the Pavlova 350, you would think they could but Books is well and truly off the boil so its safe to pick the Swans here WILL.

No need to wish you good luck your a hero back to back....money in the bank...smile.png

• Like 2

Teams are out for the round!

Put your house on Freo to beat the Swans! Look at who Sydney has named in the team again:

Jarrad McVeigh

ben Mcglynn

Toby Nankervis

Teddy Richards

Mcveigh is the only one of those 4 i want to see playing again this year. And even mcveigh is looking a bit older and not wiser. OKay, we need a ruck so Toby can play.

Freo to win by 23 points!

here are all the teams ...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams

Remember Khun BM, 3 of those players listed could be omitted, so don't be penciling in the Dockers just yet ;)

No Ballantyne either for Trade Bait Tommy so maybe he'll put on a show, have a bit of pride in the guernsey and all that...

• Like 1

Robbo v Pav,

Nothing in it, I agree,

When you have the runs on the board as Pav has, its no drama to coolly put the front foot forward and glance the ball to the boundary for an easy four.

• Like 2

Tips are in, I'm so nervous of holding on to second spot, got Ron breathing down my neck followed by Sceadugendai Books and Chooks a short knife in the back away............Gees wish i was WILL comfortably way out in front seemingly not a care in the world, can take the Mrs out to lunch with no pressure of the up and coming weekend, the prestigious TV Tipping contest won back to back by WILL, the new Hawthorn here at TV land, we measure success by the standard WILL has set.

Dear me was coughing cornflakes over the kitchen table this morning...who to pick who to pick? should i listen to Bucks? and the Pavs 350 should i gamble? Whats about tonights game? Dogs always surprise....and of course North......Saints looking the goods too and way more convincing than the Shinboners...what to do what to do?

b

• Like 2

Tips are in, I'm so nervous of holding on to second spot, got Ron breathing down my neck followed by Sceadugendai Books and Chooks a short knife in the back away............Gees wish i was WILL comfortably way out in front seemingly not a care in the world, can take the Mrs out to lunch with no pressure of the up and coming weekend, the prestigious TV Tipping contest won back to back by WILL, the new Hawthorn here at TV land, we measure success by the standard WILL has set.

Dear me was coughing cornflakes over the kitchen table this morning...who to pick who to pick? should i listen to Bucks? and the Pavs 350 should i gamble? Whats about tonights game? Dogs always surprise....and of course North......Saints looking the goods too and way more convincing than the Shinboners...what to do what to do?

b

You're working beautifully AlexRRRtongue.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

b

We all model our self on you WILL the great man.....i was looking forward to your friday fertiliser column ummm you have neglected to do one this week....dont change your style now, cant be doing that so close to seasons end, i mean you could get bad luck and do your nuts this weekend in tipping then its all wide open again......

b

We all model our self on you WILL the great man.....i was looking forward to your friday fertiliser column ummm you have neglected to do one this week....dont change your style now, cant be doing that so close to seasons end, i mean you could get bad luck and do your nuts this weekend in tipping then its all wide open again......

Jeez...Hero worship again Alex!!! Speak for yourself old fella.

I will say this. KhunWill is known for his coolness under pressure. Chimpy still fondly remembers the diplomatic visits to Kandahar and Baghdad where Will relieved tension in the room by handing out some West Coast Eagles promotional mini-balls then he and Chimpy did some kick to kick and handball drills for the assembled warlords...

Cool as a cucumber is the big fella Will..

Now Alex, as for you spitting out your cornflakes today (unintentional dribbling...okay i can accept that). We all know your tips are set early in the week and are more fixed than month old Jello

This week I am trying something different for myself. I have asked each one of my GFs to nominate a winner. (Sadly there are only 9 games so a few missed out)..

Even the lovely lass fancies Freo this week...

• Like 2

b

I will say this. KhunWill is known for his coolness under pressure. Chimpy still fondly remembers the diplomatic visits to Kandahar and Baghdad where Will relieved tension in the room by handing out some West Coast Eagles promotional mini-balls then he and Chimpy did some kick to kick and handball drills for the assembled warlords...

Now Alex, as for you spitting out your cornflakes today (unintentional dribbling...okay i can accept that). We all know your tips are set early in the week and are more fixed than month old Jello

This week I am trying something different for myself. I have asked each one of my GFs to nominate a winner. (Sadly there are only 9 games so a few missed out)..

BookMan, has Chimps been on the wee wee again?

He knows he shouldn't be talking about those covert ops.

• Like 1

BookMan, has Chimps been on the wee wee again?

He knows he shouldn't be talking about those covert ops.

Chimps hasn't touched a drop since he met with Gil

I mentioned your comment to Chimps and he gave me a wry smile and shook his head... You ASIO boys...full of secrets

• Like 1

b

Alex, after your sensational forecast for this weeks games, I decided not to post one.

It's like batting after Bradman mate, anything else was bound to be a let down.

What a nice guy you are, such a lovely way with words, were you in sales after ASIO?

• Like 1

b

Yes buddy give up on what worked for you most of the year your one knife i dont have to worry about, as for all your girl friends, there god dan Thai most there follow Chelsea or Liverpool they wouldn't have any idea unless you hold up pictures of team gurneys and then there going to match it by matching colors to English Premier League clubs....

Hero worship, to right kid, you wanna have some respect for us old fellas, WILL will take his second tipping cup home which is a first and its back to back, not to mention me bing runner up right behind the big cool guy 2 years running....ho and he has a beautiful way with words too have you not noticed?

I do my teams on the friday morning, unless of course its a thursday night game, follow routine and it never changes, my tipping style never changes either, the cornflakes all over the table is my puppy wanted to get in on the tipping today, I've posted his pic to show he is real not like post-186435-0-77723600-1469777995_thumb. your imaginary friend....

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 2

b

Yes buddy give up on what worked for you most of the year your one knife i dont have to worry about, as for all your girl friends, there god dan Thai most there follow Chelsea or Liverpool they wouldn't have any idea unless you hold up pictures of team gurneys and then there going to match it by matching colors to English Premier League clubs....

Hero worship, to right kid, you wanna have some respect for us old fellas, WILL will take his second tipping cup home which is a first and its back to back, not to mention me bing runner up right behind the big cool guy 2 years running....ho and he has a beautiful way with words too have you not noticed?

I do my teams on the friday morning, unless of course its a thursday night game, follow routine and it never changes, my tipping style never changes either, the cornflakes all over the table is my puppy wanted to get in on the tipping today, I've posted his pic to show he is real not like attachicon.gifS__5824546.jpg your imaginary friend....

Cool dog Alex. Do u have her wear cute dresses as well? I hope he picks some ruffies for u this weekend..

right up behind? eh? Beautiful way with words? what are u fantasizing about...On second thoughts don't tell me...

• Like 2

b

I do my teams on the friday morning, unless of course its a thursday night game, follow routine and it never changes, my tipping style never changes either, the cornflakes all over the table is my puppy wanted to get in on the tipping today, I've posted his pic to show he is real not like attachicon.gifS__5824546.jpg your imaginary friend....

Not a thai dog, it's registered.
  • Like 1

Haha!! I get home from work and read the day's banter from TVF AFL and get an update on the round, and a smile on my face.

Thank you.

Pav's 350 already sold out. Looking forward to a memorable afternoon at the footy.

Now I know why Alex does so well at the tipping.

Its his little mate in the Sukhumvit Ray Bans who licks up the dribbled morning corn flakes.

No Joblow, the Ray Bans are originals we have style over here in the east.

• Like 1