Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

57 minutes ago, stud858 said:

How many weeks for Gaffs punch?

6?

In the AFL's best interest and with a good record i'd say 4 weeks.

In Gaffs defence,he would not of thrown it unless he was being impeded a lot of times off the ball.

I would have done the same.

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1

I've always found it bizarre that the same determined punch out on the street would involve police and a police charge of assault.  But within sport it doesn't. Gaff seemed so remorseful.  I'll give him that. 

• Like 2

Fantasy wrap for this week.

FJ gets over NN's 2261 - 916

The close one was between GA and Chooks with GA getting home 2121 - 2028

And lastly Alex with a record score 2484 over Rip 1758

Nice work by the Delightful Dees,hope you haven't peaked to early Alex? 

Last round before the finals next week is-

FJ v Rip

NN's v CCS

DD's v GA's

Time to move on your last couple of trades gents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

In the AFL's best interest and with a good record i'd say 4 weeks.

In Gaffs defence,he would not of thrown it unless he was being impeded a lot of times off the ball.

I would have done the same.

I'd take 4 weeks in a heartbeat.

If it's a broken jaw, he's looking at 6 weeks I reckon.

So out of character for him.

I'm not sure if he was trying to punch his arm away but he's generally not the sort of

guy who even pushes guys, let alone punches them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stud858 said:

I've always found it bizarre that the same determined punch out on the street would involve police and a police charge of assault.  But within sport it doesn't. Gaff seemed so remorseful.  I'll give him that. 

The only AFL/VFL player ever to have been charged by police with an on-field assault is Leigh Matthews, who king hit Neville Bruns and broke his jaw at Princes Park in 1985.

He was initially convicted and fined $1000, but the conviction was overturned on appeal and he was granted a 12-month good behaviour bond.

The incident was behind play and apparently not witnessed by any of the umpires, so no report was lodged. Television replays pressured the VFL into charging Matthews with 'conduct unbecoming;

This meant it could not be heard by the tribunal, so Matthews appeared before the VFL Commission, and he was de-registered for four games. The incident was the catalyst for changes in the reporting and tribunal system as we know it now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do harp on but...

Once apon a time there was a thing called a shepard,that's no longer in the game but we now have what is called a block.Many free kicks are paid especially against ruckmen for blocks and others in marking contests.

To the jury and your honour,was Gaff not blocked twice before the incident and why wasn't he paid a free kick before it boiled over into frustration of being an A grade footballer being scragged by a first year wannabe. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I do harp on but...

Once apon a time there was a thing called a shepard,that's no longer in the game but we now have what is called a block.Many free kicks are paid especially against ruckmen for blocks and others in marking contests.

To the jury and your honour,was Gaff not blocked twice before the incident and why wasn't he paid a free kick before it

boiled over into frustration of being an A grade footballer being scragged by a first year wannabe. 

Should do something less agressive. Like keep chilli powder in his sock and rub it into his opponents face during a scrap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Should do something less agressive. Like keep chilli powder in his sock and rub it into his opponents face during a scrap. 

Not having a go but you sound like Pavilich and Rewalt on comentary who weren't renowned for fighting their way out of a wet paper bag.

That's why they don't have any GF's under their belt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, stud858 said:

How many weeks for Gaffs punch?

6?

Cameron got 5 for knocking Harris-Taylor out, Gaff’s brain fart looked worse, no doubt it’ll be straight to the tribunal. I’m thinking we won’t be seeing Gaff until at best round 1 next year, at worst, well that’ll depend where Will’s boys end up.. 7-8 weeks wouldn’t be out of the equation.

It’s in the ‘Hall-Staker’ bracket for mind..

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, farmerjo said:

I do harp on but...

To the jury and your honour,was Gaff not blocked twice before the incident and why wasn't he paid a free kick before it boiled over into frustration of being an A grade footballer being scragged by a first year wannabe. 

That he was obviously being blocked before he broke wind could be his saving grace.

Won't get him off but may help him out with a lower penalty.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Radar501 said:

The only AFL/VFL player ever to have been charged by police with an on-field assault is Leigh Matthews, who king hit Neville Bruns and broke his jaw at Princes Park in 1985.

He was initially convicted and fined $1000, but the conviction was overturned on appeal and he was granted a 12-month good behaviour bond.

The incident was behind play and apparently not witnessed by any of the umpires, so no report was lodged. Television replays pressured the VFL into charging Matthews with 'conduct unbecoming;

This meant it could not be heard by the tribunal, so Matthews appeared before the VFL Commission, and he was de-registered for four games. The incident was the catalyst for changes in the reporting and tribunal system as we know it now.

I was there officer......and on the centre wing Brunswick side of Princess Park, looked worse on film but in reality it was way off the ball, was also Abblet senior picked on a half forward flank in an early game for the Cats who i thought on his performance on that day to be rather overrated...

15 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Fantasy wrap for this week.

FJ gets over NN's 2261 - 916

The close one was between GA and Chooks with GA getting home 2121 - 2028

And lastly Alex with a record score 2484 over Rip 1758

Nice work by the Delightful Dees,hope you haven't peaked to early Alex? 

Last round before the finals next week is-

FJ v Rip

NN's v CCS

DD's v GA's

Time to move on your last couple of trades gents.

On the day, would have cleaned you up old fella....Gaff is in my team and a nice 109 points even being marked all day, thought Oliver had a good day playing forward though i didnt think he would score to well...but 154.....nice...if the DD play to there averages 2400 points is about right....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Front page of " The Worst Australian " this morning.

DSC07320.JPG

It's a witch hunt.

AFL lawyer at the tribunal asking for between 8 to 12 weeks.

Jeremy Cameron (whose got form) got 5 for elbowing a bloke to the head.

Knocked him out and he had bleeding on the brain.

I reckon 6 to 7 is fair.

43 minutes ago, Will27 said:

It's a witch hunt.

AFL lawyer at the tribunal asking for between 8 to 12 weeks.

Jeremy Cameron (whose got form) got 5 for elbowing a bloke to the head.

Knocked him out and he had bleeding on the brain.

I reckon 6 to 7 is fair.

Nanna Gerrard on AFL 360 last night saying 12 weeks would be sufficient.

I think 7 is appropriate, leaves him out for enough games if the Eagles are good enough to make the big dance.

• Like 1

Pssssssttttttt the word is out.....one of the "establishment " clubs.....dark blues but not in navy......is going to land an out of contract top class midfielder plying his trade in the west comes out as a free agent..........on the coast.....and in trouble.....here we go here we goooo....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GrantSmith said:

Nanna Gerrard on AFL 360 last night saying 12 weeks would be sufficient.

I think 7 is appropriate, leaves him out for enough games if the Eagles are good enough to make the big dance.

And 8 it is..

22 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Pssssssttttttt the word is out.....one of the "establishment " clubs.....dark blues but not in navy......is going to land an out of contract top class midfielder plying his trade in the west comes out as a free agent..........on the coast.....and in trouble.....here we go here we goooo....

The news at the train station is Polec to the Roo's?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dan-is-the-man-saints-hunt-hannebery-20180806-p4zvv4.html

Its out in the open.....with 2 or 3 years left on his contract Saints trying to do the impossible I can't see the Swans allowing him to go considering half there midfield will begin queuing at centrelink end of season for the aged pension....

Not an attractive destination is Moorabbin like Arden St nooooo one wants to go there....

The Gaff incident....you have no idea how this affects my fantasy team, im rather peed off that said midfielder will now be rubbed out for the up and coming fantasy finals...its a forced trade that wasn't counted on...meanwhile the press are having a field day..Red cards, lawyers coming out and giving there bit and lets not forget the amount of newspapers being sold because of it...if it had involved a Collingwood player the Hearld Sun would have made an absolute packed from sales this week....

Mate the picture says all...head in hands on the bench Simo trying to console Gaff....out of character but it happens, there running on adrenalin there isn't anytime to think there is lots of niggling in a game, that left hook looked like a cheap weak shot to me im surprised it did so much damage....Gaff wasn't even looking at Andrew when the swing came in....6 weeks its worth....I mean Grinter copped trail by press got 6 weeks for a flying tackle on Wee willy Wallace who ducked into the tackle...and I know I was there on the Scays members wing that incident happened no more than 4 meters from where I was standing....the umps didn't even think it was reportable at the time....ive been dirty on that for more than 20 years...now I realise why Wallace ended up with a broken jaw, seen him with 2 commentators on the G pre Sundays game blah blahing away he would be lucky to be 165cm plus a known  notorious ducker he did get a lot of free kicks.....

Red card??????? never going to happen ....there was an incident way back....again I was there.....I seem to get lucky and be at historic events concerning the AFL...David Ryths Jones....

“I just got him back,” Banks told Open Mike, which screens on Fox Footy at 9.30pm on Tuesday night. “Look, David was a sniper. I don’t think there was a league player that didn’t want to give Rhys-Jones a bash.

That comes from magpie Dennis Banks..... Jones is/was a complete arse hole.....in one game while still playing for the Swans under coach Ian Stewart who the rumours of the time said was a cross dresser, David who has a little brain and even less brain power pretty much sniped away started a number of fights against the Demons, of course the members stand at the G were incensed by what we were seeing, I do forget the details now and who got reported but at least 6 fights this ape started, there had been pleading from commentators on the radio...yes trannies to ear at games in those days to get Jones off the ground...Dee's being weak as piss did not clean him up as we all hoped they would...Steward did cope criticism for not taking him off the ground and thats where it ended....no we wont see Red cards in AFL...and I dont agree with it anyway nor sin bins as they have in Rugby, really its the duty of the coach to straighten his players out...

Now, now Alex, have 2 nephews at the saints.  Hanneberry won't be going anywhere and the saints have a couple of young mids comming up.

49 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Now, now Alex, have 2 nephews at the saints.  Hanneberry won't be going anywhere and the saints have a couple of young mids comming up.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dan-is-the-man-saints-hunt-hannebery-20180806-p4zvv4.html   in todays Age there fella....have it from a Swans supporter quote "Hanneberry hasn't got much currency", if i recall some coach of the Saints had his neck on the chopping block about this time last year, and wasn't there a rumour started down Moorabbin  that D Martin was Saints bound and before that it was the human hair mop from the Dockers going to be running out in Red White and Black...who is crying wolf? the story goes when the wolf appeared and there was yet another cry for help it was ignored...then the wolf had a very long lunch indeed....