Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

13 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

May is eating so many pies Melbourne paid double the going rate and got two for the price of one  ????

I've heard Melbourne are keen on this guy (on the left) for next year.

7b18b871d2553684b5169d96671b6f32.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

For Uncle Alex who has been strangely quiet.

Top-20: The greatest Melbourne players from 1987-2020, led by Garry Lyon

The odds were stacked up high against Max Gawn.

Did he want it bad enough? Were his knees going to stand up?

By 2013, the 208cm project big man with the comedic streak was at the crossroads.

But when club legend Jim Stynes empowered him to harness the individual power of his personality and playing traits, it set the former Domino’s pizza boy on a course to become potentially Melbourne’s greatest player of the AFL era.

Since 1987, the Herald Sun has ranked the Dees’ new captain Gawn No.4, and his current midfield mate Clayton Oliver No. 19 in the club’s top-20.

Among them are some of the biggest names in the club’s history. Garry Lyon, Stynes himself, David Neitz, and some other uber-talented goal kickers in David Schwarz, Jeff Farmer and the remarkable story of Allen Jakovich.

For all the disappointment of the dark days between 2007 and 2015, the firepower in red and blue has been, at times, immense.

And for a while there in the late 80s and early 90s, the Dees were a top-four force under John Northey.

But their two Grand Final appearances since 1987 have yielded 96 and 60-point losses almost a decade apart, in 1988 and 2000.

Now, Gawn and Oliver have the opportunity to give Melbourne a decent shot at breaking the longest premiership drought in the game, and write their own version of the Western Bulldogs’ and Richmond’s fairytale flags.

THE TOP-20 DEMONS PLAYERS FROM 1987-2020

1. Garry Lyon

2. Jim Stynes

3. David Neitz

4. Max Gawn

5. Todd Viney

6. David Schwartz

7. Brett Lovett

8. Adam Yze

9. Jeff Farmer

10. Nathan Jones

11. Sean Wight

12. Aaron Davey

13. Stephen Tingay

14. Russell Robertson

15. Jeff White

16. Brad Green

17. Cameron Bruce

18. Shane Woewodin

19. Clayton Oliver

20. Allen Jackovich

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Uncle Alex might be feeling a bit blue. This was the season that the Demons were going to win the Premiership for the first time in close to 100 years and now the season might be over and the window has closed.

Add to that he had put down a whack of money for the unlikely premiership win, intending on using the winnings to have the teeth fixed on his faithful mutt, Cho-cho.

The quietness is probably the sound of Uncle Alex contemplating what could have been, what should have been, what will now never be...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

For Uncle Alex who has been strangely quiet.

Top-20: The greatest Melbourne players from 1987-2020, led by Garry Lyon

The odds were stacked up high against Max Gawn.

Did he want it bad enough? Were his knees going to stand up?

By 2013, the 208cm project big man with the comedic streak was at the crossroads.

But when club legend Jim Stynes empowered him to harness the individual power of his personality and playing traits, it set the former Domino’s pizza boy on a course to become potentially Melbourne’s greatest player of the AFL era.

Since 1987, the Herald Sun has ranked the Dees’ new captain Gawn No.4, and his current midfield mate Clayton Oliver No. 19 in the club’s top-20.

Among them are some of the biggest names in the club’s history. Garry Lyon, Stynes himself, David Neitz, and some other uber-talented goal kickers in David Schwarz, Jeff Farmer and the remarkable story of Allen Jakovich.

For all the disappointment of the dark days between 2007 and 2015, the firepower in red and blue has been, at times, immense.

And for a while there in the late 80s and early 90s, the Dees were a top-four force under John Northey.

But their two Grand Final appearances since 1987 have yielded 96 and 60-point losses almost a decade apart, in 1988 and 2000.

Now, Gawn and Oliver have the opportunity to give Melbourne a decent shot at breaking the longest premiership drought in the game, and write their own version of the Western Bulldogs’ and Richmond’s fairytale flags.

THE TOP-20 DEMONS PLAYERS FROM 1987-2020

1. Garry Lyon

2. Jim Stynes

3. David Neitz

4. Max Gawn

5. Todd Viney

6. David Schwartz

7. Brett Lovett

8. Adam Yze

9. Jeff Farmer

10. Nathan Jones

11. Sean Wight

12. Aaron Davey

13. Stephen Tingay

14. Russell Robertson

15. Jeff White

16. Brad Green

17. Cameron Bruce

18. Shane Woewodin

19. Clayton Oliver

20. Allen Jackovich

I reckon if you compiled a list for WC, Lyon would probably be the only certainty with Jeff Farmer and AJ as possibles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I reckon if you compiled a list for WC, Lyon would probably be the only certainty with Jeff Farmer and AJ as possibles.

Ha....i watched them a lot.......Gary Lyon would not rate in my team...yea very good player first few years then like Harry and a few others pretty much had there own bed in a private hospital.....never really recovered from his shoulder injuries and a few others....

Neitz loved him as the State Centre half back forget him once he went forward..'' wouldnt make my top 30

Schwarts after 3 kneed operations stays as he was just a bullock and trier....even no spring or pace....

Jeff Farmer....frigging lazy froward pocket....couple of dazling displayes then where are you jeff? wouldnt make my top 200

Shane Woewodin, yes i liked him but only 2 good seasons shouldnt get a mention....

Rober Flower finished in 87 even as a cripple would be in the top 10..

Jackovich should be in the top 10....kicked more goals per games while at Deeland than anyone else anywhere...very effective and very good contested mark with great speed off the blocks...

Todd Viney, Stynes, Yze, Green and Bruce no particular order top 5 for me then right next to them B Lovett J White, Jones, Davey and Robertson make out the next group of 5.

The most consistant players ever were Stynes, Viney, Jones, Davey, White, Green, Bruce and Adem Yze....they were mainly on ballers...

Special mention for Sean Wight who died of cancer at age 42 i think, could have been anything, think he had 2 knees and a few other things....for a guy who first picked up the Sheridan as a 18 or 19 year old was a natural with no fear....injured 1/3 of his career...

And Russell Robertson was the last player in the sights of Dean "Chop" Bailey....our last experiance player they got rid of as we decended into hell for 10 ys.....it was like are you kidding? Long time injured came back late in the year...was worth his place in the team...chop for next season..........Dean Baily hope its very hot where you are.....

• Like 2

Well it got me thinking......these guys should be in the top 20 

Andrew Leoncelli...thank you Blues for him....another constant preformer....

Steven Febey, how could i forget him? named one of my dogs after him.....he and Yze were my favourites at that time...

Steven Streach...brilliant wingman to bad the son who got chopped end of last season wasnt even in his dads shadow...

And the most under rated ruck rover midfield there ever was....Stephen Newport.....racked up quite a few games..

Most of the guys ive mentioned were in Northey's and Danihers teams, the thing is with these guys there is not a Dunstan Martin amongst the, nope...only Jackovich could be spectacular these guys were like the back bone, you could expect them to stand up every week...consistant and talented, the big runners were Viney, Streach, Yze, Tingay and of course Stynes....Newport was an inside who sometimes got outside, some of them should get on over to the G and teach these prima donnas how to play foooooootball...

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 6:46 AM, BookmanBkk said:

How about one of your favourite all time Demons in Jack Watts Uncle Alex?  Where does he stand?  Top 10?

I like Jack................was thrown in too early, miss managed, played out of position....NOTE...Paul Roos found his sweet spot playing across the half back and centre lines, he wasnt a forward but could go forward during a game and too loose as a defender he was a tall midfielder outside runner....thats what he was....Goodwin not the brightest spark that ever coached an AFL team had a fixed idea on his position, he was very effective during Roos last 2 years, the best kick to position player in the team...

Paul Roos also found Nev Jetta's position....for years and years every dudd coach that came by had him as a small forward or mid resting forward....bingo, back pocket....say no more....ho I miss Paul.....

And gees I forget his name now ex GWS mid got rubbed out for being naughty, I liked him a lot...again Roos had him in defence.....many attacks originated from him out of defence but simple had an idea he was a forward and killed his career stone dead...

What do I think of Simon Goodwin...NOT MUCH....Im wondering when el presidenta WILL chop the dick, seriously to land in Perth after all the pre season noise and put in that performance is inexcusable...I would have got ex fro boss on the line and told him to come on over....just for a year.....

And maybe my wish has been played out during the lowdown that is the lockdown....in the G board room.....there having a nice two or three month look at Simple....is he up to it????????? Seriously the team play like hes lost them.....

Ps....some players are just one position players and thats it......get over it coaches....

Edited by AlexRRR
I love WCE
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Will27 said:

Saw this today and thought it may be of interest.

How Plugger lifted the interest in the Swan cannot be underestimated.

Swans' home crowd average per year:

1586406803652.png

Wasnt because they were winning more games no?

I been to Sydney a few times....they love celebs up there....the beautiful people...best in AU....Bondi beach and all....the boat in the harbour, even Gorgie Pell jumped right into a limo and headed off to Sydney the second he was let out of HM hotel Barwon..... Like to know how he could do interstate travel when there handing out tickets of $1000 for being 45ks from home....

21 hours ago, Will27 said:

Tall forwards take a while to mature...………….

You are mistaken sir.....he Jack was not a forward......may have played there as a jr but that slate is wiped clean during your first preseason......as mentioned above that irresistible super intelligent loveable guy that was the Swans and Dee coach Paul Roos found his spot....he was a tall mid.....outside runner, how good is Simon? letting go one outside mid to Port and the other to North and what did we have last year....a big fat ZERO in that position....

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Jack Watts was recruited as a forward, no doubt about it.

It might not be his best position now, but he was drafted on his

form as a FF in the under 18 championships. Was eventually named as All Australian FF.

That's like saying Nic Natanui wasn't drafted as a ruckman.

Come on Uncle.

There is some truth to what you say still once you step up to the big stage there is no given, in the case of that basket case over at the G they needed a messiah the poor fella even made his debut against the Pies normally our biggest game of the year and at CHF, poor guy.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BookmanBkk said:

Sydney -Siders love a winner!

Lucky our crowds are discerning', voting with their feet and wallets if they arent happy with the coach or team. Its this people power that has helped Sydney management and the board stay focused on producing a competitive team since the late 1990s.

When the supporters accept mediocre as a reward for their support, well, we have seen what happens at other clubs, they just keep underperforming. 

During Warwick Cappers best years for Sydney in 1986/1987, the crowds were 25k and 21k average - see chart below

1992, 1993 and 1994 were a 3-peat of wooden spoons for Sydney, with the crowds reflective of that

Warwick Capper
Tony Lockett
Barry Hall
Buddy Fanklinn
(Joe Daniher)

Sydney media has needed a big name to fawn over, and it has worked 

crowds1.PNG

The VFL/AFL were watching your backs......time they came back to rescue us as its apparent we have lost our way again.....very good move to ship us off to Tassie to justify spending all that money to keep us out of the grave....I like Launceston....great little city...could see myself living there once...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

The VFL/AFL were watching your backs......time they came back to rescue us as its apparent we have lost our way again.....very good move to ship us off to Tassie to justify spending all that money to keep us out of the grave....I like Launceston....great little city...could see myself living there once...

More of a case of Sydney succeeding despite AFL efforts.  As the admin at the AFL head office got better , it also made life easier