new head of immigration

14 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

If he does not ban 90 day reporting I hope he can get the website report online to work, just tried again and goes no further than the first page, then tells me to contact the local office. I probably should be using explorer with win98

If you last entered Thailand before Jan 13 you can not report online....you will get the response you are getting now.

47 minutes ago, Pib said:

If you last entered Thailand before Jan 13 you can not report online....you will get the response you are getting now.

Or if you have gotten a new passport since your last entry to the country.

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

hahaha!  crazy talk!  of course it'll only get stricter.  new boss gots to make a name for hisself.  get ready for a whole raft of new regulations, and look forward to some catchy slogans, too.

OTOH, another way to make a name for himself is to increase tourist arrivals... 

There's already a proposal to extend some of the free VOA and visa programs.  Seems simple enough to add some level of assurance that, if you qualify, you won't get randomly turned away by some front line IO in a bad mood.  I don't have a clue what percentage of innocent travelers are being turned away.  It may be tiny.  But the mere worry that it could happen would send me and my sweaty tourist cash elsewhere.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

In my experience, new bosses wants to a make a difference to be noticed, always has been harder requirements. 

Never ever has there been an ease to the requirements. 

Only wishfull thinking on Thaivisa. 

For existing visa maybe but new ones get introduced sometimes ... investment visa got introduced, elite visa got introduced, smart visas got introduced (tho they suck...).

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The Immigration Bureau does not have the biggest say over introduction of new visa types (though their comments will be considered). Visas are primarily the responsibility of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with input from several other ministries and departments.

It’s the Immigration Commission (IC), headed by the Minister of Interior, that decide on the introduction of visa types in accordance with the immigration act. In most cases the government of the day also sign off on any changes. 

The MFA’s only responsibility is the issuance of visas, but has no say beyond it’s role as a member of the commission. They also communicate immigration policy to foreign consuls etc. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Where immigration has historically had the biggest influence is over the rules for extensions of permission to stay. Recently, they have (at some entry points) been abrogating tourist visas, but that is not officially something they should be allowed to do.

The law clearly gives power to immigration to deny anyone entry — regardless of the visa they hold, at any entry point, for any reason given in the immigration act, or order or regulation issued by the Minister.

So officially they can deny a tourist visa holder as long as they follow formal procedure.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

One factor that may prove decisive in the medium to long term is how well the new head of the Immigration Bureau can get on with those in charge at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I get the impression that there has been little coordination over the last few years.

The head of the IB and those in charge at the MFA have very little influence individually on anything!

One brilliant improvement we might see, if the Immigration Bureau and MFA can agree the ground rules, is allowing pre approved e-visas to be affixed to your passport on arrival in Thailand. While many countries have managed to introduce such a system,

Any such improvements will by down to the the MOI, the IC, and government.

I believe a power struggle between the two ministries involved has prevented this kind of rational system from being implemented in Thailand.

“Power struggle”! What power struggle? 

Very simply: The MOI, IC, and government of the day decide everything. The MFA are responsible for issuing visas, and the IB is responsible for enforcing the immigration act, regulations, and orders.

Regulations will not be suddenly rescinded, that would be a loss of face. 

One can only hope for relaxation in implementation. 

I actually expect the regulations to become stricter, the retired person market is looking less attractive to Thailand and their xenophobia will rule. 

• Like 2

Joke's new immigration ball was already rolling so the fire will get hotter before it cools down is what it would most likely tend to be. And an OP saying the next stage of immigration rules will be coming out on Monday April 22 is sure fire proof. Put on your seatbelts and asbestos suit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Given that this posting may be temporary, the annual police re-shuffle occurs in October, "Big Oud" may just try to muddle along, avoiding any international incidents. He does have a solid record, but it is hard to tell how close he is to retirement. I think he is a Lt. General, which is near the top, even though the article calls him a Maj-Gen.

Big Joke definitely jumped the queue, some speculate that the annual re-shuffles were manipulated to favor him and others perhaps less deserving, by a decade or so. That he was taken down is probably not surprising, in hindsight, as the manipulation was finally exposed, causing great anger at the higher levels.

• Like 2