Follow Japanese traffic laws - that will reduce accidents, Thais urged

webfact

bkk.jpg

FILE photo

Thailand is turning to Japan to try and reduce the appalling death toll on its roads.

Government officials think that by implementing Japanese rules and regulations they can make the Thais a more responsible law abiding race. 

Harsher punishments, a strict points system for driving offences and serious licence removal for offenders is at the heart of the plans proposed by the Communications Ministry. 

Citing Thai Post the ryt9.com site quoted communications deputy Jirut Wisanjit as saying that the Japanese model of law enforcement was what was needed to help solve the crisis on Thailand's roads. 

By following the Japanese's strict adherence to the law the Thais would be inspired to be more responsible and this would lead to less accidents. 

The implementation of stricter measures regarding the points system and removal of licences was seen as vital. 

The Japanese model could see Thailand taking away licences for six moths, one year, three years and permanently in some cases. 

Thaivisa notes that the website did not mention the thorny issue at the heart of adopting any new legislation - enforcement.

Source: RTY9

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-08

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While in Tokyo i saw the Japanese police writing tickets every day again for cars parked on the road....

I have never ever seen that in Thailand.

Without real police Thailand will always stay what it is now....a very dangerous place to be on the roads.

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Not unlike ordering a baby to write Shakespeare. 

Asking Thais to suddenly become Japanese (only when behind the wheel) is a ridiculous ask. The Japanese are polar opposites of the Thai. Japanese actually respect and care about each other. 

What they actually need to do is get rid of u-turns, install roundabouts in many places instead of traffic lights, stop making people drive an extra 2 kilometres and back to get to a right turn that could easily have been served by a roundabout.   My own local PTT service station is about 700 metres from my house but since they widened the road to facilitate through traffic it is now an 8 kilometre round trip involving 2 u-turns and a potential long wait at a traffic light.  No wonder locals drive the wrong way down the road to avoid this absurdity.

People jump red lights because of the delays caused by operating them in 4 stages rather than 2, so unnecessary on most junctions.

Educate drivers properly before letting them on the road, a written test and knowing how to parallel park does not a driver make.

I actually must applaud the Thai for looking outside their borders - something which very rarely happens. 

However, their arrogance always manages to show. As if the only issue was that they weren't following the optimal laws. 

Ridiculous arrogance. There are deep, fundamental issues with Thai society that contribute to the Thai roads. 

1. Poor education which affects everything from terrible road design to poor lighting and signage. 

2. Selfishness which leads to 'me first' mentality. 

3. Class hierarchy which encourages 'more important' people to drive more recklessly.

Others

8 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It doesn't matter which countries laws you select as the example to follow. All the time there is close to zero enforcement of them, people will continue to drive abominably.

your spot on.......

22 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

To enforce Japanese style traffic laws, first you would need to have Japanese style police. Never happen in Thailand>

And Japanese style respect for fellow man. 

And Japanese style honor which, unlike Thai who habitually break the rules/law when they think they are not being watched, prevents most (not all) Japanese from law breaking even when they are not being watched. 

And Japanese style FACE which, unlike Thai style FACE that is generally used to hide behind while doing poor deeds, encourages honorable behavior. 

And Japanese style patriotism which, unlike Thai nationalism, makes Japanese people take real pride in their country. 

And Japanese style education which actually teaches people how to live in a modern society. 

And Japanese style civic education. 

And and and 

The land traffic act 1979 seems to be unheard of in Police stations, even if they knew the law it's only a suggestion and they will still make decisions based on prejudice and money offered. Get the cops to follow the law first.

15 minutes ago, Youlike said:

While in Tokyo i saw the Japanese police writing tickets every day again for cars parked on the road....

I see Police writing such tickets every day on South Pattaya Road by example, and putting wheel clamps on cars or chain on bikes.

Agree that many streets where I sadly never saw that even if it would be really needed...

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Follow Japanese traffic laws:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Laws laws, whats that?

Nobody here observes any laws, police included.

your right a few weeks ago I saw  COPPER driving motorbike....he had HELMET on.....2 kids oh same bike NO HELMETS !!!

20 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I actually must applaud the Thai for looking outside their borders - something which very rarely happens. 

However, their arrogance always manages to show. As if the only issue was that they weren't following the optimal laws. 

Ridiculous arrogance. There are deep, fundamental issues with Thai society that contribute to the Thai roads. 

1. Poor education which affects everything from terrible road design to poor lighting and signage. 

2. Selfishness which leads to 'me first' mentality. 

3. Class hierarchy which encourages 'more important' people to drive more recklessly.

Others

Don't make me laugh, Thai's looking outside their borders ? Most Thai drivers don't have the intelligence to know where Japan is let alone expecting them to understand how well the Japanese drive.

Japan supposedly has one of the hardest driving tests in the world to pass. But in Thailand the so-called test could be passed by a retarded ameba.  The problems run too deep and will not change by implementing new laws that few, if any will follow.

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

Government officials think that by implementing Japanese rules and regulations they can make the Thais a more responsible law abiding race. 

They sure cant figure it out for themselves....and "implementing Japanese rules" is NOT taking advice. They'll copy the rules, and there'll be some changes for sure, so they fit the thais...

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

Japan supposedly has one of the hardest driving tests in the world to pass. But in Thailand the so-called test could be passed by a retarded ameba.  The problems run too deep and will not change by implementing new laws that few, if any will follow.

Please don't insult a single cell organism, they can not answer back.???? When you have so many arrogant and ignorant generally Thai male drivers, who believes that they are almost impervious to any unsafe act that they may perform due to their brainwashed and abiding believe in the hocus pocus told to them by a work shy, often runaway crook, dressed up in orange linen, then nothing, absolutely nothing will change the mindset of those Thais that flagrantly disregard any law, let alone those in charge of a potential motorised lethal weapon.

41 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Without real police Thailand will always stay what it is now....a very dangerous place to be on the roads.

proactive policing is the only answer no matter what laws they use - that costs money and training which they are unwilling to spend, until that happens the free for all carnage will continue 

putting people in charge that actually have an education would be a good start

Archived