Retiree hangs himself from tree in the garden "because people just wanted to borrow pension payment"

webfact

Retiree hangs himself from tree in the garden "because people just wanted to borrow pension payment"

10pm.jpg

Caption: People just wanted to borrow money from him.

A Thai man in Buriram hanged himself after going into a spiral of depression following his retirement. 

His wife said he was unhappy because people borrowed his retirement money and wouldn't pay it back. 

Nang Rong police called to a house in Thanon Hak sub-district of the north eastern Thai province found 61 year old Udom Wangpha lying under a large tamarind tree, reported Thai Rath. 

He had hanged himself with vines and taken weed killer. A bottle of weed killer was next to the body. 

His wife Somwang Wangpha, 53, said that her husband retired from a private company in October and got a payment of more than a million baht.

He gave her one million and kept 150,000 baht for his personal needs. 

But after people continually borrowed from him and would not pay him back he went into a spiral of depression losing 20 kilograms in weight and talking about wanting to die. 

She kept a close watch on him with their son. But yesterday she went to the market to sell eggs and vegetables leaving her son to look after his dad. 

When the son couldn't locate his father he went into the garden to look for him - he found him with vines around his neck under the tree. He was dead. 

Somwang said the family were not short of money - her husband had a monthly pension of 4,000 baht as well. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-08

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

51 minutes ago, Denim said:

RIP Udom.

Pity he was not familiar with the saying ' Neither a lender nor a borrower be '

Anybody trying to borrow from me gets less than short change unless they are a close and trustworthy friend. Nobody bothers me any more. If you are a soft touch you will get a constant stream of pests at your door.

If you cannot say no then just lend to one person only. Any other borrows can be told they can borrow money as soon as x returns the money already lent.

I did  that. Good policy.

The others are still waiting along with me for the  first  one. lol

RIP sounded like a nice guy but taken advantage of by people... lucky he had the foresight to give the wife the bulk of the retirement fund or he probably would have been cleaned out entirely...
I hope the wife can continue to have a reasonable life & take care of the son.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TheHangingJudge said:

There are two words of English that are universally understood the second one being Off.

Pity the poor chap didn’t use to his advantage.

Interesting!

What is the first one, please?

How awful the poor bloke couldn't live out his retirement in peace without people leeching dough off him under the guise of a " loan " .. It says a lot about their society that folk are willing to descend on an elderly member poncing dosh off him with no intention of paying it back .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I always say "Sorry, but everything I have is tied up in cash" ????

Your'e  too  polite  try  "piss off  and  go  get  a  job  shitface",  i  find  that  works + as a  bonus  word  gets  around i'm  blackheart.

I have been known to lend Thais money, but always safe in the knowledge that I won't get it back. I've never been disappointed. Thai friends/family call it a loan, I call it a gift or donation.

• Like 2

If the numbers in the article are accurate it wasn't much of a retirement fund.

Just like gambling, when loaning, never spend more than you can afford to lose.

Also we only have the wife's word for what happened.

(I've lent money to 4 Thai persons.  Only one of them never paid it back and that was only for ฿2,000.   The one I lent the most to, over ฿40K, paid it all back but it took almost a year.  He was happy to have an interest free loan.)

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1