the Infamous TM30 just messed me up

I was going to roll over to BKK, rent a place for the upcoming winter, then come back to the states and finish up my summer lunacies, then come back when the heat breaks. Im on an OA retirement until Jan 2020.

Then I just remembered that when I arrive, the hotel checks me in. Then when I rent a place, I need to go to CW to file my TM30, get an exit permit and take off back to the USA...

But when I come back, I still have to do a TM30. So now I have two trips to CW.

So I either wait to come over, do two trips, or not even file a TM 30 to start and just do it when I come in september.

Oh and when does my 90 days run? From my entry?  which one, if I do 2?

There has been not mention of CW telling people to  do another TM30 report after a trip out of the country.

You may only need to be sure the at least one TM30 form is submitted. They accept TM30 reports by mail.

Any time you leave the country your 90 day count resets to zero and then one is due 90 days from the date you enter the country.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, quandow said:

A few years ago I used to rent a cheap room, got my TM30 registered there, and kept it regardless of where I lived. It was worth it to avoid just this kind of hassle.

Yeah until they show up to check ????

I mean how about this. I arrive on say a Monday and get my usual hotel room. Then I find a place say on thursday, move my chit in, hang for a few days, then take off. Then register when I come back. Would they put two and two together and fine me when I try to file the TM 30

• Haha 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

There has been not mention of CW telling people to  do another TM30 report after a trip out of the country.

Im changing residences though. So Im not at my registered address and I gave up the place (although I could have it back with a phone call, but I want to be on the river). So when I come back Ill be in a new place.

I'm planning an overnight visit to Bkk, staying in a hotel, which obviously will TM30 me. When I return home the next day, do I have to go through the whole procedure with myTM 30 at Jomtien again? Or should I just ignore it?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You may only need to be sure the at least one TM30 form is submitted. They accept TM30 reports by mail.

Any time you leave the country your 90 day count resets to zero and then one is due 90 days from the date you enter the country.

So Joe:

Are you saying that at CW once a TM 30 is issued and someone (say on the so called retirement visa with a reentry permit) leaves Thailand then when they return to Thailand to the same address, that person has no need for a new TM 30 to be submitted to immigration?

Edited by zombie nights

9 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

I'm planning an overnight visit to Bkk, staying in a hotel, which obviously will TM30 me. When I return home the next day, do I have to go through the whole procedure with myTM 30 at Jomtien again? Or should I just ignore it?

I don't think Jomtien does a search to find out if you stayed in hotel. The only seen to want them if you make a trip out of the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zombie nights said:

So Joe:

Are you saying that at CW once a TM 30 is issued and someone (say on the so called retirement visa with a reentry permit) leaves Thailand then when they return to Thailand to the same address, that person has no need for a new TM 30 to be submitted to immigration?

Apparently it is being done that way. It seems at this time they are only checking to see if a TM30 was ever done for a person.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think Jomtien does a search to find out if you stayed in hotel. The only seen to want them if you make a trip out of the country.

Is that a new thing?  Last 2 years when I returned from trips to the UK and reported on a new TM30 they told me not to bother as I am on a retirement extension.  This is what always bothers me and keeps me reporting, the interpretation of the rules can change at any time or at the whim of an immigration officer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, gmac said:

Is that a new thing?  Last 2 years when I returned from trips to the UK and reported on a new TM30 they told me not to bother as I am on a retirement extension.

I answered in as a general comment as an example since I do know about the posters status here.

I am aware Jomtien does not enforce that for those on long term extensions or visa entries.

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Then when I rent a place, I need to go to CW to file my TM30, get an exit permit and take off back to the USA... 

OP - not sure where you are planning to rent (and i'm not an expert on the TM30) but won't the landlord file that for you.  plus, you can get the re-entry permit at the airport.  so you wouldn't need to go to CW at all.  i use CW and my apartment mgr takes care of the TM30, never had to deal with it and had no issues when i've done my extension (i'm doing one next week so maybe i'll find out different soon !!!). 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Can't you do the TM30 online now (and possibly TM 28)?  I was looking and saw that foreigners could register.

Although I do think people are over-reacting a bit.

thai immigration 90 day reporting tm 30 online.png

thai tm 30 extranet registration page.png

Edited by 4evermaat

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I answered in as a general comment as an example since I do know about the posters status here.

I am aware Jomtien does not enforce that for those on long term extensions or visa entries.

Commenting from Chiang Mai here. I was told by my condo management when I moved in that TI is very serious about the T30 here and they advised me to let the front desk attendant know each time I return from a trip out of Thailand. They then do the filing for me. Note that they did not say returning from a domestic trip, where I know the hotel would have TM30'd me. Just to be safe, I ask the front desk agent to TM30 me each time I return from any trip.

22 minutes ago, bubba said:

Commenting from Chiang Mai here. I was told by my condo management when I moved in that TI is very serious about the T30 here and they advised me to let the front desk attendant know each time I return from a trip out of Thailand. They then do the filing for me. Note that they did not say returning from a domestic trip, where I know the hotel would have TM30'd me. Just to be safe, I ask the front desk agent to TM30 me each time I return from any trip.

It's helpful that posters identify which province they are talking about when it comes to the TM30 requirements (or application) as many provinces treat it differently.  You're correct about how CM Immigration treats it excepting that you only need to "update" the TM30 when you return to your TM30 registered address after you've been out of country.  There currently is no need to update if you're only traveling within Thailand.

Also (again, CM Immigration specific), people showing up for an extension of any kind who have a printout of an online TM30 filing are being asked to go up to the third floor of immigration and replace that printout with the smaller/standard TM30 Receipt of Notification form (and then providing a copy of that form for their extension).

Again, this is only how CM Immigration is currently doing it. 

• Like 1

I don't believe I have ever filed a TM30. I extend my visa once a year and get a multiple entry stamp. I fulfill the 90 reporting requirements. But I have never reported to the I/O after I have left the country or been on a trip within the country. 

In march I had my missus ask the IO if I needed to do so, he said don't bother, it is not needed (maybe at that particular office).

To me it seems the height of stupidity to go through immigration at the airport and give them an address, and then go to the local immigration the next day to give them the exact same information....have these folk never heard of computers and they are both part of the same organisation.

• Like 1

Went to PI recently, stayed in four different private addresses plus hotels.....no requirement there.....seriously who wants to spend a morning st immigration just somehow can spend a nightvst your friends house.....ludicrous

23 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Have Jomtiem required you to submit a TM30 previously, for eg when doing a 90 day report or Re-Entry permit? 

In your circumstances, I would not do a report, as I have been told it is not necessary by Jomtiem. I am on a retirement extension, living in the same place for many years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have Jomtiem required you to submit a TM30 previously, for eg when doing a 90 day report or Re-Entry permit? 

In your circumstances, I would not do a report, as I have been told it is not necessary by Jomtiem. I am on a retirement extension, living in the same place for many years. 

Same here.

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Done many tm30 by mail even sent a week late , always get a receipt and never any fines. 

How many times, roughly? When did you start this reporting?

You self-report? Do you document yourself on page 2?

After returns from domestic trips where a hotel may have registered you? Or only after an international arrival? 

Which office? What address?

Do you include a paid return envelope?

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They've told me that also, repeatedly, and I take their word for it. And that applies to both local trips and overseas ones.

But what bothers me slightly is that they say all sorts of things but never write them down. Without written confirmation it would be impossible for me to actually prove later on that I had been told that I didn't need to do it.

15 minutes ago, rott said:

The OP speaks of the upcoming winter, confused me.

Im a proud American snowbird, so things like Visa hassles dont affect me. I show up, I rent, I stay, I leave, and if they dont let me in I go elsewhere ????

13 minutes ago, rott said:

The OP speaks of the upcoming winter, confused me.

He means the US winter months, cool season here. Notwithstanding, a winter of discontent is likely - it could be a Shakespearean catastrophe if they go full retard on the 24 hour reporting.