Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

16 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah just like Obama told me the type of insurance I should have.  Thank you but I am a 62 year old engineer with doctors as friends and relatives as nurses.  I will seek my own counsel

Which railroad did you work for? If your doctor friends simply respond with "then don't do that" when you tell them "it hurts when I do this" then maybe insurance is a good investment. ???? 

• Haha 2

stop playing the twisted game with bringing elite into so nany of your comments on so many threads,its twisted and mostly disrespectful to 1000's of elite holders, we should respect all visa holders, and whats happening with o-a visa will eventually happen to everyone, from short term tourists, marriage, everyone one of us, they mentioned this in their greedy plan a while back, they will start with one section of foreigners as a test and move into every area of foreigners. thats if the plan succeeds, who knows, who knows if the health industry will still have the same power with another crew in power

lets face it this crime gang will sell their grandmothers and elephants to make money, thats how bad they are, but to think in a cowardly way and say, ooh what about these visas holders, is not looking at the larger picture, we all will be affected if they stay in power
How bizarre. I showed no disrespect to Elite users. I'm interested in the program myself.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, leiftheswede said:

A health insurance from abroad covers a year or the shorter period u pay for. That period does not correlate with the visa period. How do they mean to solve this. As usual decisions are made without thinking and proper research of facts and how it actually works.

"As usual decisions are made without thinking and proper research of facts and how it actually works." That is because Thais have zero "critical thinking" skills. If you have ever driven a car here and have read about the WHO statistics about road fatalities, that is all you need to know. Somchai cannot face the facts nor care about them without giving an annoying nervous laugh. Good luck to all of you expats guys still there and my deepest sincere sympathies to all of you who cannot get out.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Another smug, nonsense post. Someone who thinks what he chooses to do should apply to all. Who thinks that all his fellow expats are on the bones of their backsides, scrounging off the Thai system. How incredibly patronising! How about those who prefer to self insure? I have more than enough to cover any eventuality, but prefer not to gamble my hard earned on insurance which will be damned expensive and may not pay out anyway because of a pre-existing condition.

My wife and stepdaughter are covered because they're Thai, but I've paid cash whenever they've needed treatment. Despite being 74 yoa, I'm incredibly fit and healthy. Paying vast amounts each year would be money down the drain.

If they're looking for a solution, the best bet would be to allow people to use the 800,000 in the bank for their visa extension. At least that way, if the treatment was expensive, they'd have some of the bill covered.

I'm certain that the problem isn't with the long term expats anyway, I personally don't know, or have even heard of an expat not having the means to pay a hospital bill. If anything, it's the tourists who come without travel insurance who ride uninsured motorbikes and have really nasty accidents who're a problem. Some might say that it's also another way for the powers that be, along with the insurance company elites to line their pockets.

My family have a great life here, mainly because of me providing for them. I'll be unable to do this if I have to pay a massive annual insurance premium.

Smug ?

I know lots of X-pats who have spounged off the system.

My wife is Thai as are our 4 kids, I also pay private hospital cover for all of them, even though they can get medical treatment for free in a public hospital, I prefer to have them on par with me.

I once self insured as well, i.e. until I found an insurer who was prepared to think outside the square and cover my pre-existing condition.

Your suggestion of using the 800,000 could be an alternative, perhaps go an extra step and grandfather it, allowing all current long stayers to use the existing funds in an emergency and the new ones to take out cover to satisfy their criteria, but seriously anyone coming here and not being able to afford cover, shouldn't be here IMO.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I once self insured as well, i.e. until I found an insurer who was prepared to think outside the square and cover my pre-existing condition...............

Which insurer was that? 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I wonder if this will be a problem if you are a retired American military with Tricare for Life coverage.   You pay 25% of the bill and no more than $3,000 a year.  After that Tricare covers the total cost.  This is better than any plan they list here.

That is hardly better than any plan here ... at least not in costs for you. Perhaps in provided service?

Cambodia is currently my alternative choice of venue
Siem Reap of you're a Chiang Mai sort of person, Phnom Penh if you're a Pattaya/Bangkok sort of person, Kep/Kampot for Hua Hin lovers. Just under $300 for a 1 year multi entry ES VISA, no hoops if you're over 55.
Is Siam Reap super polluted?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I have enough money to pay my bill i don't need any extra outlay. And yes we are taxpayers every time you go to  7/11 you pay tax. Get off your high horse !

So do I, could also self insure if I chose too, but I could see the writing on the wall, like I did with the retirement visa, hence the change two years ago.

But why would I want to self insure when it's cheaper to insure, obviously you didn't major in math, as for tax, you mean goods and services tax...lol

Image result for picture of the lone ranger on his horse

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ThailandGuy said:

So when you are 76 years old you have to pay 133.000 baht a year insurance to be 400.000 max  insured !  Bizar ! If you dont have to consule a doctor in 3 years you have paid up one year of maximum insurance. I guess Thailand does not want old people to live there anymore. Thailand is not that friendly as they say?

http://www.bangkokinsurance.com/long-stay-visa/

Yep. Great value insurance.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Smug ?

I know lots of X-pats who have spounged off the system.

My wife is Thai as are our 4 kids, I also pay private hospital cover for all of them, even though they can get medical treatment for free in a public hospital, I prefer to have them on par with me.

I once self insured as well, i.e. until I found an insurer who was prepared to think outside the square and cover my pre-existing condition.

Your suggestion of using the 800,000 could be an alternative, perhaps go an extra step and grandfather it, allowing all current long stayers to use the existing funds in an emergency and the new ones to take out cover to satisfy their criteria, but seriously anyone coming here and not being able to afford cover, shouldn't be here IMO.

I'm always curious when a child of mixed ethnic background is automatically labeled as a non-white when a white person is involved. Maybe I'm wrong 4ME and you aren't white. But if you are why would you automatically refer to your kids as "Thai"? Aren't they also half non-Thai? Often I've heard it said when a black person and a non-black have a child the child is referred to as black. Why? Isn't the child also half "non-black"? Is it right to label the new Royal baby as black? I think not. it's a baby. Let them become what they will without labels. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

It's an extension of stay based on a non-Imm B visa and nowt to do with an O-A.

I think you are of the hook for now this round

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

I'm always curious when a child of mixed ethnic background is automatically labeled as a non-white when a white person is involved. Maybe I'm wrong 4ME and you aren't white. But if you are why would you automatically refer to your kids as "Thai"? Aren't they also half non-Thai? Often I've heard it said when a black person and a non-black have a child the child is referred to as black. Why? Isn't the child also half "non-black"? Is it right to label the new Royal baby as black? I think not. it's a baby. Let them become what they will without labels. 

Thai as in citizens.

I am not white.

If where going to label them, then they are EurAsian.