Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

webfact

21 minutes ago, coxo said:

Health insurance in the form of accident and emergency is ok, as far as outpatient that is just BS

I've been coming here on and off since 1994, and much more in the last couple of years, I doubt the total outpatient cost has reached 40000Baht yet in all that time.

I just wish they would come up with some Hybrid cover which was part bond and part insurance, with a card to get you access to initial treatment. Can't see the sense of having the outpatient cover as an insurance, but a problem could arise if you don't have enough in your pocket and can't get to the bank. 

I always remember a story, told to me in the 90s of someone's acquaintance that had a medical problem, who died whilst they argued if he had cover, and he had $5000 in his hotel safe! He may of died anyway, but a different end to the story never got a chance to be told.

As I've said already, how to transact this, there was a post on the other thread quoting you could use your insurance cert in support of application??? But if you don't already have permission to enter & stay for 12 months, you would not need the insurance. 

18 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Would be nice to know there actually is/was a poll and where it is.
I found it (finally) by clicking on the "comments" icon under the "Yes/No" images, as the link in the OP goes to the TV topic but the poll is on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiVisaNews/posts/10158438383398012

From reading the comments on the ''Poll" didn't seam overwhelmingly supportive

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Think not too many polled were in their 70's or 80's. Try getting insurance at that age.

they tried asking those in their platinum years..... but they kept getting  " what ?   what ? " to the

questions asked   ????  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Agree . One reason America needs FREE medicare for all ! Shut the damn insurance companies down!

Fat chance !   and when talking about america,  really fat chance

Edited by rumak
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ryane66 said:

I guess in your estimation l am an old greezer. I am 71. Slim and fit. Regular health checkups define me as excellent. I bike 30km EVERY day.

I outworked the younger Thai workers building my home. I really don't think l am close to having a foot in the grave. Pretty sure l could keep up to you.

Your a bit touchy bout that Slim

• Haha 1

"mandatory health insurance of over 50s"

while the short term tourists don't? They are the ones renting motorbikes looking for adventures.." Guess what i did in Thailand.."

yeah we old men need insurance in case we fall off the bar stool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

seriously?  where and when was the poll ?

old farts, this will impact you more than you think

especially the 40k outpatient rule

either you had brains and some kind of insurance (I had via wife's work) 

but now forcing it ...

I believe insurance is a SCAM ... I have money if I go to hospital

if really sick, I will go die at home

I don't want to be forced for something I will not use, as I will pay as I go

as you can see, it is EVERYBODY over 50, not the O-A only

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, alphason said:

Still not exactly clear, but looks like they could be talking about Non O-A visas issued outside Thailand that give a 1 year entry stamp on arrival? I guess the logic is that they are not applying for an extension in Thailand so do not have to hold the 800k in a Thai bank, isn't that 800K supposed to be for such medical emergencies?

But If its only for over 50's why do the policy rates quoted on the website show premiums for all ages including under 50's

They had better get their rules and regs uniform . Was that dude drunk when he came up with this brainstorm ?

• Haha 1

I generally agree but compulsory outpatient is ridiculous and is nothing more than a moneyspinner for the insurers and the overall limit is too low, though of course that's up to the individual.

I'd rather they demanded a minimum 1m limit but no OPD.

• Thanks 1

As a long-term Canadian Expat living in Phuket for the past 20+ yrs and turning 61yrs next month (How the Hell did that happen...???) I highly support health insurance for all those living in T’land, including all Long Term Expats, Tourists and ......... Thai Nationals. Financial planning 101. Health Care is the 1st item on my Annual Budget. If you don’t like Thai insurance providers, there are many Health Care providers overseas including BUPA Global, CIGNA, Regency for Expats, etc..... that will provide you coverage.

Edited by verticalift
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Reading the Ministry article in English courtesy of Google Translate, I note the outpatient requirement is clearly stated as "...not less than 4 thousand baht..." not 40,000 baht as is being widely reported.  And still a lot to work out regarding implementation.  AAAND just had the wife read the original Thai article, and Google translate got it wrong!  40,000 baht outpatient it apparently is ????

Edited by paybob
Update on an erroneous translation.