Myanmar backs 'strategic partner' Huawei despite US ban

rooster59

Myanmar backs 'strategic partner' Huawei despite US ban

By Khine Kyaw 
The Nation, Yangon

ea2420c64ae25f6c8488627f7eb1d0c8.jpeg

Liman Zhang, chief executive of Huawei Myanmar, delivers a speech at the Myanmar Indoor Coverage Digitalisation Summit 2019 held in Yangon on May 24 (Photo courtesy of Huawei Myanmar)

Amid the ongoing trade war between the United States and China that recently intensified with Washington’s ban on Huawei Technologies, Myanmar has publicly announced its stance on the issue at the event entitled, “Myanmar Indoor Coverage Digitalisation Summit 2019” on Friday.

Soe Naing, deputy director general of the Posts and Telecommunications Department, said Myanmar considers the Chinese technology giant a “strategic partner”. 

He lauded Huawei for its important contribution to the development of Myanmar’s communications industry with its reliable communications solutions and professional services.

“We welcome Huawei to continue to participate in Myanmar’s future communications network construction,” he said.

“As long as equipment suppliers follow the existing laws, rules and regulations of Myanmar, we will not prohibit any of them from fairly participating in the [market] competition.”

Soe Naing stressed that Myanmar is trying to formulate laws relating to cyber security and technical standards to ensure the nation’s network security. 

Huawei has been accused by the US government of engaging in activities that are contrary to US national security or foreign policy interest, which the firm has repeatedly denied.

Win Tint, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Construction, said Myanmar aims to provide a fair environment for all parties to reduce communication costs and improve efficiency.

“The development of smart buildings and the economy in Myanmar requires a process in which it is inseparable from all-inclusive efforts. So, we will let everyone participate in our long journey,” he said.

“We hope that all parties can provide their own ideas based on the overall development and give full play to their respective energy. We will ensure everyone works together to build a better Myanmar.”

Aung Myint, president of the Federation of Myanmar Engineering Societies (Fed.MES), said Myanmar is keen on working together with all parties to improve the people’s daily lifestyle and bring digital to every citizen.

“We need technical support in real estate, telecom and other related sectors for digitalisation of indoor coverage and to encourage all relevant parties to work on a single standard,” he said.

“We hope to cooperate with all parties to promote the establishment of standards, and Huawei is one of them. We will also transfer these capabilities to registered engineers of our society. They will implement these standards later on.”

Liman Zhang, chief executive of Huawei Myanmar, said the firm’s cooperation with the government, telecommunications operators and stakeholders continues to grow further, despite the US ban.

“We always negotiate with them to ensure win-win solutions for both sides. We could solve many issues by this way,” he said.

Zhang said the firm would sign a memorandum of understanding with the Fed. MES in the near future to achieve a better, systematic cooperation in the construction industry, based on the requirements of Myanmar’s ICT infrastructure. The partnership will strengthen more collaboration for indoor coverage digitalisation in Myanmar, he said.

At the half-day event, he pledged to transparently cooperate with government agencies, consumers and business partners.

“Huawei has been continuously attacked by the Americans with unfair accusations and legal actions since last year.

Notwithstanding, our customers especially from Myanmar not only still believe in Huawei but also support our telecommunication processes,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369984

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-05-25

A huawei phone and laptop will shortly become bricks and book stands.  I heard this morning they are not allowed to put SD or MINI SD photos on their phone boxes anymore.  Its over the fat lady is singing.  Trump wins this round.

Myanmar doesn't get it....most other countries do....Australia in fact is are required (not officially yet) to tell prospective customers of the downside nowadays of Huawei phone and tech gear....

Untill this issue is settled, Huawei will be isolated

1 hour ago, jimmyyy said:

A huawei phone and laptop will shortly become bricks and book stands.  I heard this morning they are not allowed to put SD or MINI SD photos on their phone boxes anymore.  Its over the fat lady is singing.  Trump wins this round.

why would they not be allowed to use SD cards?

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Huawei will be a white elephant in a few years. No one is going to buy their phones or tablets.

Similar to Toshiba thailand ....  it's just about gone as they won't service anything anymore.

not sure I agree that Trump can wipe out the 3rd biggest mobile manufacturer in the world. His arguments are becoming less credible by the second now he has said they may be included in a trade deal. Maybe he should be liable globally if his security risk is proven to be nothing but a trade war ploy.

5 minutes ago, alant said:

why would they not be allowed to use SD cards?

I didn't know this either, there is an organization of SD and Mini SD, they license the use of the names, that is an american organization.  So because of the executive order Huawei can not longer us those terms and they are not allowed to be in the organization.  So they can have the SD and Mini SD slots just can't use the name.   Crazy as it sounds.

Trump may well have sunk the US mobile tech industry with this one.

Yes for a short while the telecom giant Huawei is denied product, until that is they go elsewhere.

Looking into the crystal ball I see a new operating system on the horizon. Followed by Chinese manufacture of component hardware.

Once these become available I see the prospect of component prices falling and all Chinese phone producers and more converting to them.

7 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

I didn't know this either, there is an organization of SD and Mini SD, they license the use of the names, that is an american organization.  So because of the executive order Huawei can not longer us those terms and they are not allowed to be in the organization.  So they can have the SD and Mini SD slots just can't use the name.   Crazy as it sounds.

I do not believe this is an American organisation, more Japanese oops just seen it is HQ'd in California, sorry.

For info my Huawei does not have a SD card

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Huawei will be a white elephant in a few years. No one is going to buy their phones or tablets.

Similar to Toshiba thailand ....  it's just about gone as they won't service anything anymore.

They will probably be carried by the China market as they are huge and look to be fairly well run, similar to Motorola back 25 years ago.  Motorola was caught off guard when their clientèle for phones changed from uptight business men to tweens riding scooters.   An ad in the Taipei subway a couple of decades ago showed a child riding her razor scooter holding up her Motorola phone.  You maybe right.  Huawei may go the way of Motorola, Erikson and Nokia one day.  It is certainly part of a cycle. 

19 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Good for Myanmar !!

If you are so supportive, perhaps you can buy stock in Huawei and replace whatever you own with their products.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Burma is married to China. They are investing so much money in Burma, that they cannot say no to anything at this point. Same with Cambodia. Married to the mob. 

don't forget thailand... question is can vietnam and ph hold out?  

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Burma is married to China. They are investing so much money in Burma, that they cannot say no to anything at this point. Same with Cambodia. Married to the mob. 

And the process will repeat country after country.

10 hours ago, alant said:

Trump may well have sunk the US mobile tech industry with this one.

Yes for a short while the telecom giant Huawei is denied product, until that is they go elsewhere.

Looking into the crystal ball I see a new operating system on the horizon. Followed by Chinese manufacture of component hardware.

Once these become available I see the prospect of component prices falling and all Chinese phone producers and more converting to them.

I agree with you. I do understand Trumps concern about a possible back door, but this was going too far and not going to turn out well. Huawei is big enough to develop their own operating system. Huawei has a good market share in asia, if they can lower pricing they will gain more market share.  Huawei as options to starting new operations for sub components in other countries. 

On 5/25/2019 at 7:22 PM, rooster59 said:

Soe Naing, deputy director general of the Posts and Telecommunications Department, said Myanmar considers the Chinese technology giant a “strategic partner”.

Give it a few more years they will change from a strategic partnership to "being your masters !!!!

Good luck selling your souls to the devil!

Archived