Pattaya again patches up flood-battered beach

Rimmer

13 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

And it was only back in April that one of our esteemed members assured us that the beach was the best it had ever been and had not been washed away !!

It would appear that Deputy Mayor Pattana Boonsawad has other ideas. I wonder how much this is gonna cost to fix ?

In what context do you mean fix lol.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

The point being made is that they screwed up previously, if they had applied some thought and planning (with regard to heavy rain run off) then this wouldn't occur!!

We have just entered the rainy season, frequent heavy rain can be expected and if it's coming from from above the railway line and into town it is gonna happen every time, so the question is who owns the back hoes featured in the main pic ? What are their extortionate charges? and how many times are they gonna be employed to repair the beach (troughs) your word? 

Stop being such an apologist and open your eyes to the possibility of rampant corruption being paid for by locals and visitors alike.

Maybe re-read my post. I never said there wasn't corruption.  Of course there is. Everywhere.  Someone is making money on the beach repair.  Someone is making money on the replacement of the sidewalks on North Pattaya Road (why are these being replaced when so many other sidewalks are in worse shape?).  Someone made money on all those temporary marigold flowers everywhere.  If they ever get around to burying the wires someone is going to make a ton of money there, too.  Etc., etc.  

I was merely pointing out that the entire beach doesn't wash away every time it rains--contrary to what you always read here.  Of course the flooding should have been corrected before the beach was widened.  Duh.  But, TIT.  Until the flooding is fixed, though, we will have to put up with channels in the beach washing away, to be repaired each time.  But, the entire beach doesn't wash away.  Two steps forward, one step back.  

• Haha 1

Any jobs,  construction jobs done here, are normally par standard.

By the time the initial bucket of money gets carved up into the paper envelopes, the remaining funds only support a sub standard job. 

Just like the roads.

And Pattaya beach reconstruction. 

The big payday comes from the maintenance and repairs. 

Also substandard. 

(Nobody is actually trained in this type of work, they just see someone else who do, and they do the same)

Repairs can last a lifetime. $$$

The big money is the manufacturing of brown paper envelopes..????

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai’s are not stupid........they have Engineers, I have had many Thai’s work for me and with me on Oil n Gas projects all over the world.

I can’t understand WHY......they keep wasting money on Pattaya Beach.

the first thing they need to do is clean out or replace every storm drain from Beach Road all the way up to Sukhumvit and across and back into the dark side.

THE STORM WATER HAS NOWHERE TO GO..........the culvert is FULL right up to the top of the steel grate flush with the roadway surface.

At the same time, build pumping stations to be able to have primary disinfectant treatment and filtering.

Separate the sewage from the storm water flow.

Until the drains are open and able to handle the run off, Pattaya Beach will erode and disappear every time there is significant rains.

22 hours ago, morrobay said:

New drainage pipes running the entire length of the beach to be installed starting in June and construction lasting 9 months. 

Then wait 1 month and repeat ????

22 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It'll never work, just cement the whole damn beach, it's all to dirty anyway.

Well they will need sand for that..................but I agree a beach is not required and does not appear on my agenda when visiting Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Captain 776 said:

Separate the sewage from the storm water flow.

But the sewage system already works much more efficiently during rainy season when everything fills up and overflows. The storm water takes it all out to sea.

Eventually.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, morrobay said:

New drainage pipes running the entire length of the beach to be installed starting in June and construction lasting 9 months. 

I seem to remember that shortly after they 're-paved' Beach Road, (quite a few years ago now), they dug it up again to lay larger drainage pipes i.e. as usual, the job wasn't done properly the 1st time!!    Just 'business as usual' here!!

They've got to keep 'work projects' coming, so that they can continue skimming from the contracts!    It's all good for business!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newnative said:

Maybe re-read my post. I never said there wasn't corruption.  Of course there is. Everywhere.  Someone is making money on the beach repair.  Someone is making money on the replacement of the sidewalks on North Pattaya Road (why are these being replaced when so many other sidewalks are in worse shape?).  Someone made money on all those temporary marigold flowers everywhere.  If they ever get around to burying the wires someone is going to make a ton of money there, too.  Etc., etc.  

I was merely pointing out that the entire beach doesn't wash away every time it rains--contrary to what you always read here.  Of course the flooding should have been corrected before the beach was widened.  Duh.  But, TIT.  Until the flooding is fixed, though, we will have to put up with channels in the beach washing away, to be repaired each time.  But, the entire beach doesn't wash away.  Two steps forward, one step back.  

There's no corruption the ncpo says so

22 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Morning campers ???? Any news on the state of the beach this morning after last nights and this mornings downpours ?? ????????

Are the back hoes busy again ? ????

Fixed yesterday. Foxed today.

nkradar.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Morning campers ???? Any news on the state of the beach this morning after last nights and this mornings downpours ?? ????????

Are the back hoes busy again ? ????

It is still raining, might as well wait!

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

It'll never work, just cement the whole damn beach, it's all to dirty anyway.

Actually the solution is quite simple. Build an artificial reef out as far as one wants the beach to stretch, and fill in behind with sand. Of course, they'd have to put big drains in at the end of each soi that meets Beach Rd, to take the runoff. I saw such in the UK. They even had a swimming pool constructed in the reclaimed area. Pattaya sea water is too toxic to swim in, so access to the water would not be needed. Allows for volleyball courts and such to be made, and in Pattaya's case, they would have a large open space to hold concerts, rather than closing off Beach Rd.

Will it happen? 5555555555555555555 of course not.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, morrobay said:

They don't need new ones, The old ones under Beach Rd are big enough, but they'd have to clean out the 25 years of sand and rubbish that will be blocking them. I guess there is more money to be made putting in new ones.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually the solution is quite simple. Build an artificial reef out as far as one wants the beach to stretch, and fill in behind with sand. Of course, they'd have to put big drains in at the end of each soi that meets Beach Rd, to take the runoff. I saw such in the UK. They even had a swimming pool constructed in the reclaimed area. Pattaya sea water is too toxic to swim in, so access to the water would not be needed. Allows for volleyball courts and such to be made, and in Pattaya's case, they would have a large open space to hold concerts, rather than closing off Beach Rd.

Will it happen? 5555555555555555555 of course not.

If a Farang suggest it? No it won't.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 12:27 PM, newnative said:

Hate to state the obvious, but contractors are expected to make money (profit), they don't do this stuff out of the goodness of their hearts. They will continue to laugh all the way to the bank while the planners give them ever more unworkable solutions to build.  Good on them, good business if you can get it. 

On 5/31/2019 at 11:10 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

They don't need new ones, The old ones under Beach Rd are big enough, but they'd have to clean out the 25 years of sand and rubbish that will be blocking them. I guess there is more money to be made putting in new ones.

image.png.c0559e05b4b261a053b690ffb5388cd8.png

You dont need to go back 25 years for sand packed drain pipes. This is at the North end failed project together with the Soi 6 major drain project about 5 years ago. These almost 2 meter diameter pipes went under the beach road and went out into the bay about 200 meters. It was a very big project with barges with cranes and work boats laying these pipes along the buoy line to the outfall. I questioned whether just a gravity flow would work with the small drop angle. So obviously they neglected to install permanent pump stations at these locations. 

Edited by morrobay