The horns of a dilemma.

Gandtee

If you are married and doing the 400k/40k, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. There are no tearful goodbyes at the airport, the family is not getting broken up by a ruthless and uncaring Thai Government. Its the same amount of money for the same amount of time.

If you are doing retirement and 800k/65k, leaving 800k in the bank to meet the requirements, NOTHING HAS CHANGED, leave the money in the bank, no tearful goodbyes or families being torn apart at the departure gate.

If you are doing retirement and 800k/65k, drawing down the money then topping back up from home country funds, relatively speaking, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. You can still use the funds at home to live off, top-up etc. if you were spending the 800k to live each year, where was the next 800k top-up coming from ?????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

In germany it's 7 years until they can get a passport, but the family reunion visa is easy to get if you are married, can even invite certain parts of the family afaik.

But much more difficult in the UK though.

all those donated baht, gone to buy how many? houses for relatives(s)(s)(s)

wonder how many rue the day, and knowing the favour can never be returned, when it is 'your' turn! to beg for help

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

all those donated baht, gone to buy how many? houses for relatives(s)(s)(s)

wonder how many rue the day, and knowing the favour can never be returned, when it is 'your' turn! to beg for help

A sensible person would buy a condo his name a car his name...

and stay single.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Graviton said:

A sensible person would buy a condo his name a car his name...

and stay single.....

A more sensible person would rent a condo.

Staying single is an option; however, I've observed most farangs here who go down that path end up as miserable gits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Staying single is an option; however, I've observed most farangs here who go down that path end up as miserable gits.

Why rent when your condo, when its paid for itself and you are living rent free and the value has increased in thai baht, and your rent is subject to exchange fluctuations, so rents increased by 90% since 2008

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

19 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

You’re assuming everyone has that amount which shows you’ve missed the point of the OP

Depends how you see the OP's point.

My opinion or advice is if want stay thailand keep the money to stay for whatever the need in the bank.

There's other things you can do but you either some kind of income or pension.

As said if you have some income no money saved and married is better.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends how you see the OP's point.

My opinion or advice is if want stay thailand keep the money to stay for whatever the need in the bank.

There's other things you can do but you either some kind of income or pension.

As said if you have some income no money saved and married is better.

Everybody should have 800k or 65k a month or a mixture or married... they are the legal requirements

1 hour ago, Graviton said:

Why rent when your condo, when its paid for itself and you are living rent free and the value has increased in thai baht, and your rent is subject to exchange fluctuations, so rents increased by 90% since 2008

It's personal choice. If you live in a country where rents will swallow 50% of your income, obviously it makes more sense to own. When it's only taking 10%, it's not significant.

Try selling the condo, and see how long that takes. My landlord has been trying to sell the condo I rent for about 7 years now.

If you get bad neighbours, or the condo management starts playing funny buggers, you're stuck. I am free to move elsewhere. That's even more important now,  with Immigration shifting the goalposts.

I don't know where you get the 90% figure from. I've been renting in Chiang Mai for ten years, and my rent has decreased by 1500 baht per month. If I shifted to Chiang Rai, I would knock off another 2000 baht per month for a similarly equipped condo. I'm willing to concede my Aussie dollar buys less.

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's personal choice. If you live in a country where rents will swallow 50% of your income, obviously it makes more sense to own. When it's only taking 10%, it's not significant.

Try selling the condo, and see how long that takes. My landlord has been trying to sell the condo I rent for about 7 years now.

If you get bad neighbours, or the condo management starts playing funny buggers, you're stuck. I am free to move elsewhere. That's even more important now,  with Immigration shifting the goalposts.

I don't know where you get the 90% figure from. I've been renting in Chiang Mai for ten years, and my rent has decreased by 1500 baht per month. If I shifted to Chiang Rai, I would knock off another 2000 baht per month for a similarly equipped condo. I'm willing to concede my Aussie dollar buys less.

90% was by having to purchase baht first to pay rent..

Eg....75 Baht for £1 in 2007 today 39.5? You haven’t read it properly.

Like a I said if its paid for itself, it owes nothing, so you could just rent it out or even walk away....

Or stay why sell anyway, its a home....

Regards neighbours or management issue, never experienced it......

out in the sticks would be cheaper?

Edited by Graviton
Added

23 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The cost of houses, healthcare and daily living in many countries like Australia, would preclude many not to mention the cost of getting the necessary visa and healthcare checks, and not being entitled to universal health care.

Same as the UK

1 minute ago, Graviton said:

90% was by having to purchase baht first to pay rent..

Eg....75 Baht for £1 in 2007 today 39.5? You haven’t read it properly.

Like a I said if its paid for itself, it owes nothing, so you could just rent it out or even walk away....

Or stay why sell anyway, its a home....

Regards neighbours or management issue, never experienced it......

You omitted to mention you were working off the result of Brexit. The AUD has not had anywhere near that depreciation.

I'll agree to disagree. Your way works for you, my way works for me.

Just now, Lacessit said:

You omitted to mention you were working off the result of Brexit. The AUD has not had anywhere near that depreciation.

There are paths that guide our way, rough hew them how we may.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Nothing to do with brexit “2008 collapse” ring a bell....

but I have the choice of your way too?

1 minute ago, Graviton said:

Nothing to do with brexit “2008 collapse” ring a bell....

but I have the choice of your way too?

Only after you have sold it, or rented it out. I prefer to have my capital earning income in Australia, where I can sleep comfortably in the knowledge I am not going to be subject to capricious rules changes, and can liquidate easily.

Brexit has nothing to do with the fall in the GBP? News to me.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Only after you have sold it, or rented it out. I prefer to have my capital earning income in Australia, where I can sleep comfortably in the knowledge I am not going to be subject to capricious rules changes, and can liquidate easily.

Brexit has nothing to do with the fall in the GBP? News to me.

Are you paying attention ITS PAID FOR ITSELF ALREADY.......DONT NEED THE MONEY TO MOVE...

£ was in the 40s 2010

Just now, Graviton said:

Are you paying attention ITS PAID FOR ITSELF ALREADY.......DONT NEED THE MONEY TO MOVE...

£ was in the 40s 2010

Sorry, I am not paying attention. Broken records have that effect on me. I switch them off.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Sorry, I am not paying attention. Broken records have that effect on me. I switch them off.

Seems like hou are 

Just now, Lacessit said:

Insults when corrected by facts....want the graph...

enjoy your day I know I will.......

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Graviton said:

Everybody should have 800k or 65k a month or a mixture or married... they are the legal requirements

No they shouldn't if they don't want to, people can stay in Thailand many ways which still are the legal requirements.

Nowadays it seems to me Thai immigration authorities have a problem with single falangie men maybe women to, wanting to stay Thailand.

That problem is something to do with falangies not paying hospital bills.

I thought OP was posting about someone coming to Thailand some 20 years ago or more when things were easier but many were money amounts grandfathered so the OP's post to me becomes a personal scenario situation. 

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

I think it does matter -if you're only 400k close to the breadline you were always on thin ice

If it does matter who would that apply to if your married with 400,000 in bank or 40K a month that is all you need. 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No they shouldn't if they don't want to, people can stay in Thailand many ways which still are the legal requirements.

Nowadays it seems to me Thai immigration authorities have a problem with single falangie men maybe women to, wanting to stay Thailand.

I thought OP was posting about someone coming to Thailand some 20 years ago or more when things were easier but many were money amounts grandfathered so the OP's post to me becomes a personal scenario situation. 

For ext of stay due to retirement is 800k 65k a month mixture or the marriage route is what (..I..) was referring to. Anything else up to them.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You thought right in your last but one paragraph.

2 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

You thought right in your last but one paragraph.

The hospitals bills as I am led to believe are an O-A issue.......resolved with mandatory health insurance. And possible 100 baht on ever visitor ticket..... going into the hospital pot.......

4 minutes ago, Graviton said:

The hospitals bills as I am led to believe are an O-A issue.......resolved with mandatory health insurance. And possible 100 baht on ever visitor ticket..... going into the hospital pot.......

And where does an over 75 obtain health insurance and at what cost?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

Not my point I was addressing a paragraph referencing unpaid bills.... if you had it before? What happened? Non O ext to stay due to retirement don’t need insurance? 

21 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Cigna

https://www.cignaglobal.com/

Globality Health

https://www.globality-health.com/yougenio/world/

If not yet 80, AXA Global also has some options  https://www.axaglobalhealthcare.com/en/international-health-insurance/plan-details/

Cost: depends on plan and whether you accept a deductible but roughly USD $4000 - $5000 a year.  (referring to inpatient only plans).

If you request a quote on any of those sites don't put your phone number (enter a string of zeroes or nines) or you'll be pestered by sales people.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Cigna

Globality Health

If not yet 80, AXA Global also has some options  https://www.axaglobalhealthcare.com/en/international-health-insurance/plan-details/

Cost: depends on plan and whether you accept a deductible but roughly USD $4000 - $5000 a year.  (referring to inpatient only plans).

If you request a quote on any of those sites don't put your phone number (enter a string of zeroes or nines) or you'll be pestered by sales people.

I think the emphasis was more about cost.. those prices are too high...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Cigna

Globality Health

As I understand it, the authorities want farangs to use THAI medical insurance companies for the O-A visa. Correct me if I am wrong.

Given they also want 40,000 baht OUTPATIENT insurance, I'm not sure your post is relevant.

Edited by Lacessit