Checking in at international airport.

merijn

I have a question about the check in options at the international airport.

I will be flying from HKT to BKK with Thai and then to DOHA with Qatar.

Both on separate tickets.

Can i still check in at the international airport and label my luggage all the way to my end destination (Thai and Qatar have a interline agreement i believe) and do my immigration at Phuket ?

Or do i have to use the domestic terminal and collect my luggage in BKK and check-in again with Qatar which i don't like to do off-course.

OP, you wont have an option to clear immigration at Phuket, HKT to BKK is a domestic flight. Check-in and you will be directed to domestic departures not international departures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you wont have an option to clear immigration at Phuket, HKT to BKK is a domestic flight. Check-in and you will be directed to domestic departures not international departures.

Normally if you have a international connecting flight leaving from BKK and you have the ticket you should be able to use the international terminal and do immigration at HKT.

At least that was my experience in the past with other holidays.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, merijn said:

Normally if you have a international connecting flight leaving from BKK and you have the ticket you should be able to use the international terminal and do immigration at HKT.

At least that was my experience in the past with other holidays.

That cant possibly work, once you clear immigration you are in a part of the airport thats technically outside of thailand, how would you get to the domestic gates that are inside Thailand, you would be re-entering Thailand. The same at the other end, the OP will be landing at BKK domestic with everyone else on the plane, no immigration between him and Thailand.

Catch any domestic flight in Thailand you dont go through immigration to get on or off the plane.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

That cant possibly work, once you clear immigration you are in a part of the airport thats technically outside of thailand, how would you get to the domestic gates that are inside Thailand, you would be re-entering Thailand. The same at the other end, the OP will be landing at BKK domestic with everyone else on the plane, no immigration between him and Thailand.

Catch any domestic flight in Thailand you dont go through immigration to get on or off the plane.

Looks like you don't have experience with HKT and BKK airports.

In HKT both passengers (who cleared immigration and normal domestic passengers) are combined just before the plane bridge.

At arrival in BKK people who cleared immigration in HKT follow a special designed security point for those people and go from the domestic site to the international side of the airport. 

So that is not a issue but i don't know if Thai will check me in at international label my luggage and clear immigration at HKT as i have 2 separate tickets with Thai and Qatar.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I have done this as well with 2 separate tickets. Checkin Phuket will be able to arrange all until Doha.

Thanks Stevenl, Just the answer i was looking for.

I was afraid that because i have to separate tickets Thai would refuse check-in and i could not do immigration at HKT.

Saves me a lot of hassle with all the luggage.

I suppose that the other way also no problem is to label the luggage all the way to HKT from London via Doha.

• Like 1

Interlining of baggage has been mainstream for many years already. Even before that, the much maligned (on here) Thai Airways had my bags go all the way from Bangkok via LHR to Scotland although the last sector was on a BA ticket. BA were unable to offer the same option coming back so I had to do the baggage claim and re-check shuffle at LHR.

19 minutes ago, schlog said:

Stevenl is 100% correct. All easy and no problem.

Btw QR also has daily flights HKT-DOH directly which i prefer.

Thanks, I know about the flight but that would give me a 20 hrs stopover in Doha ????

• Haha 1

First of all they normally can check you in on separate tickets , but not the luggage IF the airlines are not in the same alliance.. As far as I remember Thai i in star aliance and Qatar is not.. I think they are in oneworld which amongst others consist of British Airways..hence you can not check in at least the luggage all the way due to both reasons. If you travelled without luggage it would probably be possible. 

4 minutes ago, paahlman said:

First of all they normally can check you in on separate tickets , but not the luggage IF the airlines are not in the same alliance.. As far as I remember Thai i in star aliance and Qatar is not.. I think they are in oneworld which amongst others consist of British Airways..hence you can not check in at least the luggage all the way due to both reasons. If you travelled without luggage it would probably be possible. 

See post #3 in this thread.

Check through baggage and doing immigration at Phuket.

Two topics that are mixed up freely here.

I still want to see how you can do immigration in Phuket (stamped out) and enter a domestic flight to Bangkok. Tell me how this works.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Check through baggage and doing immigration at Phuket.

Two topics that are mixed up freely here.

I still want to see how you can do immigration in Phuket (stamped out) and enter a domestic flight to Bangkok. Tell me how this works.

The airport is such that you can get to the gate from the international side after passing through Immigration. You are given a sticker allowing you to go to international departures at BKK without having to clear Immigration again. And this is all backed up by an exit stamp in the passport and a boarding pass from BKK.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

You wont have a choice.....if the bags can be checked through they will be. And so will you. Transit etc.

2 separate tickets, so if op wanted to all he has to do is show only hkt-bkk, and check in again in BKK.

5 minutes ago, schlog said:
57 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

The airport code is HKG not HKT.

Am i the only one that has the feeling that many guys who stay now in Thailand would died after 2 weeks 25 years ago lol.

They may well have done if trying to get to HKG in time for their flight to Bangkok - Wonder how much the Taxi fare for that would be !!!

3 minutes ago, poohy said:

You really sure about that???? As a general rule, its better to be thought an idiot,than to say stupid things and remove all doubt

Phuket International Airport (Thai: ท่าอากาศยานภูเก็ต) (IATA: HKT, ICAO: VTSP) is an international airport serving the Phuket Province of Thailand. 

555, My mistake.????.. When I googled HKT it showed up as Hong Kong Time.  

36 minutes ago, hansgruber said:

Not to be nosey but why didn't you just fly Qatar air direct from Phuket to Doha? Save yourself a lot of nonsense. 

They run a flight. I've used it when going to Nice. Phuket/Doha/Nice. 

One of the best airlines. 

Probably this gives better arrival times for a connecting flight. See also posy #13, "" Thanks, I know about the flight but that would give me a 20 hrs stopover in Doha".

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Probably this gives better arrival times for a connecting flight. See also posy #13, "" Thanks, I know about the flight but that would give me a 20 hrs stopover in Doha".

Moreover sometimes there is a considerable difference of price between the two options. I usually go with Qatar from Phuket, but the last time, going through Bangkok, I saved a lot of money.

And, anyway, if Merijn has booked this flight, he probably had some reason.

In my last trip a simple telephone call to the Phuket office of Bangkok Air, that was bringing me from HKT to BKK, has solved the problem of Immigration and baggages .......

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 8:16 AM, Peterw42 said:

On 6/10/2019 at 8:32 AM, Peterw42 said:

WRONG