What happens if we cannot pay the hospital bill ?

geovalin

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

So are you claiming the hospital allowed him to die by stopping treatment, or that they killed him?

I have spent months in hospitals here, had first class treatment, and  think your comment is terrible.

get a life............... im not claiming anything im just making a statement of what i know happened, make of it what you like.

you spent months in hospital here and had treatment cos you or your family were paying for it right ?

try to read and understand what my post said and dont put you words or thoughts in my head or here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Why pay any unless you pay it all? 

If he had no friends he may get kicked out with no bill and sent back to his country which has top notch health care for free. 

If you are talking about the UK you are no longer entitled to free health care if you have lived outside the UK/EU for a number of years.

6 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

If you are talking about the UK you are no longer entitled to free health care if you have lived outside the UK/EU for a number of years.

Outside of the UK for 6 months (there was talk about making it 3 months) & you lose your entitlement to free health care (read somewhere that you needed to pay 150% of the cost so worse than never having it) 

HOWEVER if you're repatriating back to the UK you regain your entitlement to free health care the moment you land, I don't know how you prove you're repatriating (I guess having somewhere to live long term would do it).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Outside of the UK for 6 months (there was talk about making it 3 months) & you lose your entitlement to free health care (read somewhere that you needed to pay 150% of the cost so worse than never having it) 

HOWEVER if you're repatriating back to the UK you regain your entitlement to free health care the moment you land, I don't know how you prove you're repatriating (I guess having somewhere to live long term would do it).

All depends on what you tell 'em

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RickTik said:

Maybe the guy should just not sweat the bill.

After all, the Master Race Elites have a plan for him:

FB_IMG_1550565321892.jpg

It's working like a charm, with millions migrating to Europe and the UK.

His family must know him better than anyone that's why their not helping with the cost. He's lucky to have good friends to help but someone like him is not helping the rest of us who live in Thailand , that's why immigration keeps setting new though rules to stay here.

18 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes but that was out patient treatment, some meds are damned expensive even in government hospitals.

When i was in, in the 4th month i was given a drip with meds costing approx 5.000 baht per bottle, it was a 3 day course, 1 bottle every 6 hours, and i was told i was being given it only because my bill was covered with insurance, a person on the 30 baht scheme would not be given it, a doctor told me.

Thanks for the info Colin. You were sensible and prepared. Good of you to admit that you got better meds than a Thai would have done under their own NHS. Reminds me of the so called 'postcode lottery' in UK where it depended where you lived whether you received certain meds or not or even got the chance of surgery. One Health Authority caused uproar by stating they would not operate on any patient over 65 years due to someone of that age having limited life expectancy! A different Authority related a case of them operating on a 98 year old who lived to 104, dying of something unrelated. The surgeon said, in his opinion, that was money well spent!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farang99 said:

Nope, it only depends if you declare yourself 'ordinarily resident' or not.

It's entirely up to you.

"Q: Are you ordinarily resident in the UK, A: yes I am" = free NHS.

Interesting to note the hospitals first case of a broke patient! Makes one wonder at the need for insurance based on farangs decamping?
I'm quite dure this hospital has had many farangs unable to pay their bills, all the big govt hospitals have. I think what they meant was it was the first case to go through their payment plan process which I think may be a new system. The govt hospitals have just recently started seeking ways to improve repayment rates of fee paying clients.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

it would explain why his family has refused to help...

No, it would not necessarily explain that and, even if it did, how would it matter?  It is busy-bodying and completely irrelevant to his current situation as far as the OP is concerned.

I'm quite dure this hospital has had many farangs unable to pay their bills, all the big govt hospitals have. I think what they meant was it was the first case to go through their payment plan process which I think may be a new system. The govt hospitals have just recently started seeking ways to improve repayment rates of fee paying clients.

If a farang can't pay the bill, i assume the hospital gives minimum life saving treatment? they must stop providing somehow?

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If a farang can't pay the bill, i assume the hospital gives minimum life saving treatment? they must stop providing somehow?

A/E life saving and stabilisation (life support machine if necessary) was/is provided initially free of charge to everyone. However, if for example surgery is then necessary it wouldn't be provided without payment. The patient is not disconnected but maintained until they die naturally, which could be from their injuries/condition, infection contracted whilst in hospital or bronchopneumonia through immobilization etc.

A/E life saving and stabilisation (life support machine if necessary) was/is provided initially free of charge to everyone. However, if for example surgery is then necessary it wouldn't be provided without payment. The patient is not disconnected but maintained until they die naturally, which could be from their injuries/condition, infection contracted whilst in hospital or bronchopneumonia through immobilization etc.
Provided yes, free of charge no.

More accurately they should not delay immediate life saving care in an emergency and govt hospitals won't. Private hospitals have been known to though.

Option 3  turn off the machines, i  think everyone should  have the choice to die and accept that their  lack of insurance has consequences, I'm not for compulsory insurance  but  people would  have to sign a disclaimer saying they will not be treated in any way.

5 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i knew a man the same position but no friend or family here to pay the bill he was dead within 24 hours of the hospital knowing that

It can happen that an expensive operation (e.g. brain surgery) is necessary within the next 24 hours. However, without payment the hospitals can (and do) refuse to operate. The patient died of his condition. The hospital didn't terminate him or expedite his death.

Edited by The Fugitive
  • Like 1

Option 3  turn off the machines, i  think everyone should  have the choice to die and accept that their  lack of insurance has consequences, I'm not for compulsory insurance  but  people would  have to sign a disclaimer saying they will not be treated in any way.

You can it's "do not resusitate" worth getting a tattoo in English and Thai

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

So are you claiming the hospital allowed him to die by stopping treatment, or that they killed him?

I have spent months in hospitals here, had first class treatment, and  think your comment is terrible.

9 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i knew a man the same position but no friend or family here to pay the bill he was dead within 24 hours of the hospital knowing that

It can happen that an expensive operation (e.g. brain surgery) is necessary within the next 24 hours. However, without payment the hospitals can (and do) refuse to operate. The patient died of his condition. The hospital didn't terminate him or expedite his death.

Edited 3 hours ago by The Fugitive

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it would not necessarily explain that and, even if it did, how would it matter?  It is busy-bodying and completely irrelevant to his current situation as far as the OP is concerned.

No it's called accountability. There are consequences in this life if you never mature and carry on like a kid for most of it by partying life away. Though it wasn't stated it appeared this was a self induced problem that has even alienated his family. The OP was for sympathy? I've no sympathy for those who bring shit down on themselves by avoiding responsibility.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have used Patong Hospital on occasions ,in the entry foyer they have a well signed desk specifically for payment arrangements I guess Thai patients also. Never seen a queue there and payment after treatment is normal ,although not strictly supervised and given the amount of tourists there, you may think it should be.One could say the never ending supply of tourist patients has got to be good for business

On 6/10/2019 at 4:30 PM, BritManToo said:

The private hospitals all wanted money in advance from me.

How did this guy get 600kbht credit?

The Government hospital want an advance to,maybe he was was out for the count when admitted.

I looked after an 80-year old Australian friend after he hit his head on Ekkamai when struck by a motorcycle. He was in govt hospital almost a year. Bill? 100k.

Now, that's not ICU or a private room. Mostly just nursing care. Just saying.

Furthermore, provinfial health plans in Canada require three months' residency to become active. Not sure if exceptions are made. I do think it's the most sensible plan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I looked after an 80-year old Australian friend after he hit his head on Ekkamai when struck by a motorcycle. He was in govt hospital almost a year. Bill? 100k.

Now, that's not ICU or a private room. Mostly just nursing care. Just saying.

Furthermore, provinfial health plans in Canada require three months' residency to become active. Not sure if exceptions are made. I do think it's the most sensible plan.

that is more like it,or should be,it is when unnecessary treatment is added to the bill.If the padding was stripped out it would equate to a more reasonable amount,but what has reason got to do with anything this is Thailand The angels must have been looking on this guy that day as he was not delivered to another hellish environment

On 6/10/2019 at 3:31 PM, rumak said:

unfortunately aren't most of us somewhere in the middle ?   the concept of mind over matter has been around for a long time.   The concept is great.   But reality does not often play along.

I don't quite understand you. Death is inevitable, fear is therefore pointless as is any belief system, it is as it is. Trillions of life forms have died before you, nature is good at what it does.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

No it's called accountability. There are consequences in this life if you never mature and carry on like a kid for most of it by partying life away. Though it wasn't stated it appeared this was a self induced problem that has even alienated his family. The OP was for sympathy? I've no sympathy for those who bring shit down on themselves by avoiding responsibility.  

The OP did not seek sympathy.

He sought practical information that would be of use in helping resolve his friend's situation.

This was provided and utilized, and since the thread seems fated to forever fall into unhelpful judgemental posts it is now closed.

I agree whole-heartedly that anyone living here should have either adequate insurance or meaningful self-insurance (i.e. 3 million baht or more set aside and readily at hand, and means to replenish as used). And I am constantly telling TV members this and trying to dissuade them  from the various forms of denial used to justify not doing this. (You all know who you are).

Certainly the OP's friend brought this on himself. But we are all human, we all make mistakes, and the fact that someone's predicament was caused by a mistake in judgment is no excuse for lack of compassion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

He has two kidneys doesn't he?!

And he only needs one, there is your payment. Assuming they are healthy kidneys, if not there are other body parts that can be swapped out.

1. Selling of organs is illegal in Thailand and most other countries.

2. the patient in question is critically ill in an ICU so obviously in no state to donate an organ.