Why does nobody want to live in France?

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

One day in Paris and you'll see why I would never want to live there. Lots of "quality" immigrants from third-world north African countries trying to do whatever they can to separate you from the contents of your wallet and bank account, never going there again. Food, weather and architecture all lovely though.

Yeah well i'm a Brit and i could say the same for London.

One day is enough and you'll see why i never want to live there.

Most capital cities are the same and are not representative of the people or country as a whole.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I would...  but I’d have to pay high income tax & I can avoid that living in Thailand. 

And do not forget the visa situation ! I am Canadian and the most I can expect is a 6 month stay in France as there are no visa for retirement if you have no history of living in France before and I can not claim refugee status. Investor visa, well, I am not a millionaire . With a Canadian pension it would also be very expensive.  I am also doing better in Thailand   at the moment.

20 minutes ago, malibukid said:

and the East Europeans girls are hoties.

Well the Med coast girls are hip
I really dig the tops they don't wear,
And the Italian girls with the way they walk
They knock me out when I'm down there.
The German farmer's daughters really make you feel alright,
And the Finnish girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be Czechoslovakian girls 
<Prague Prague Prague baby Prague Prague Prague>
I wish they all could be Czechoslovakian
I wish they all could be Czechoslovakian girls..........

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

All my money comes from pensions taxed in the UK.

As far as I know France would have no claim on anything, I would also only be living there part of the year.

Not sure how much property tax is in rural France, which would be my main liability.

Not cheap I am afraid. There are 2 taxes to pay. My 3-bed bungalow costs me around Euro 1,600 per year for that. Car and house insurance is another Euro 800 (only 3rd part for the car). I believe French tax is based upon world-wide income so stay out of that too. Electricity is truly eye-wateringly costly. I find it quite expensive to live there but the days of living on Euro 1k per month are long gone if you want any quality of life. In 19 years I have met nothing but friendship out in the countryside. I think the towns are perhaps another matter. On balance you have the right idea - camp out in the Summer and scoot back to Asia for the winter. Cheers RtS

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, connda said:

If that is a 'ladyboy' I may have to put that on my bucket list of things I want to try at least once before I die.  <laughs>  But I don't see an Adam's apple, don't see Seinfeld's phobia - Man Hands.  Just looks like a smoking hot Euro-Blond.  

images.jpg.1a37d707b39a30f1150d254d350b96db.jpg

You'll feel it, believe me......

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, connda said:

Well the Med coast girls are hip
I really dig the tops they don't wear,
And the Italian girls with the way they walk
They knock me out when I'm down there.
The German farmer's daughters really make you feel alright,
And the Finnish girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be Czechoslovakian girls 
<Prague Prague Prague baby Prague Prague Prague>
I wish they all could be Czechoslovakian girls..........

Yes    ' Wouldn't it be nice '   

• Haha 1

I never had a problem with the 'locals' when living in France.  I had a stone barn conversation in the Haute Pyrenee region and a condo in Andorra.  The locals in Haute Pyrenee despised 'the French' and regarded themselves as Pyrenean.

At that time, French was my second language and I got on great with the local community.  Cheap to live there, great food and wine, great x-country skiing etc.

It's possible that they didn't realise that I was English ????  I had just finished working in Belgium and I told them when asked.  They probably assumed (as other French had done), that I was Flemish....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Marseille is cold in winter???? Cote Azur? Oh dear, update your geography... 

Would you mind explaining this post, it makes no sense to anything I have posted. If you don't give me a right to reply I might assume you are trolling.

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Troll Post 

Why is a troll post, I stated I lived between Poitiers and Limoges which have extremely cold winters, if you have comprehension problems that is not my fault. 

On 6/10/2019 at 12:02 PM, BritManToo said:

How about a farmhouse with attached barn and 1.5 Acres for 15,000 Euros?

france 3.jpg

This will be in the middle of nowhere. And I mean nowhere. There will be no: supermarket, doctor, any shop, young people, civelisation to speak of. You will be surrounded by the ones that could not get away, 70 and 80 year olds, and even of those there will only be 4 or 5.

Many villages are completely abandoned, even. Just squat.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Since this is a Visa oriented web site my contribution is that France is the only European country that used to issue you a residence Visa by investing US $10,000 in a French Bank

I wanted to retire in the Netherlands in 2006 but was informed by Dutch Immigration that there were no provisions for US Citizens retiring there.  The best you could do was a 90 day tourist visa but that would require staying out of the country for 90 days after it expired

A lawyer suggest the French route but I never followed through  because there was a question if a French residency visa would entitle a resident, versus a EU citizen, freedom of movement within the EU.  ie. French Resident but Dutch "long term visitor"

It would, actually, as long as you carry a valid American passport to identify yourself with.

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Why is a troll post, I stated I lived between Poitiers and Limoges which have extremely cold winters, if you have comprehension problems that is not my fault. 

You are talking about France, that includes cote azur as well. If you got a lack of geography.... Not my fault. I suppose you tried to get attention only. Sleep well 

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

You are talking about France, that includes cote azur as well. If you got a lack of geography.... Not my fault. I suppose you tried to get attention only. Sleep well 

It also includes the Alps, but derailing topics is a speciality of some posters. France is a very big country, maybe read up on it and you may be able to comment on it, have you ever been? 

On 6/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I would...  but I’d have to pay high income tax & I can avoid that living in Thailand. 

Me too, 

How much is short time . 

4 hours ago, soistalker said:

Several generations of muslims and African migrants are one reason. Parts of Paris are NO GO ZONES for the French. France will be the first European country to fall.

After UK .  mon ami.

• Like 1

Why does nobody want to live in France? I can think of a list of reasons but will give one example that comes to mind.

So I was flying Air France Bkk - Paris when I noticed the stewardess coming around with a bottle of champagne. I further noticed that only French people were getting champagne. So when she came to me I answered her in French. She returned four times, by which time I had was getting slightly drunk and answered in English. You should have seen here face.... I have been giving champagne to an Englishman!

What's wrong with France? ..... The French! If you speak French they love you, if you don't they have no time for you.