Best Thai bank for ATM withdrawals abroad

Hi everybody, i currently have a Bangkok Bank account with a Mastercard debit card that never works when i want to make withdrawals outside of Thailand so i'm planning to open a new bank account in a different bank. What is the best Thai bank in your opinion when it comes to withdrawals abroad?

2 hours ago, allane said:

You probably won't be using it in every country in the world. It might be beneficial to state the country(ies) where you will be using it.

Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Germany and Spain

I have used the BB MC card in Spain and USA in supermarkets and it works. Have not used in any ATM yet. I got  low conversion rate compared to Fidelity or Charles Scwab debit cards in Europe. Recently opened three new cards - Empower, Aspiration, and SoFi (no ATM fees for all the three cards thorough out the World) will try them out in different European cities and Thailand next time around.

Edited by onera1961

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Empower, Aspiration, and SoFi

They're good options, but you should know that:

Fidelity has a 1% FTF.

Empower has a 1% ISF and only does one ATM fee reimbursement per month.

Aspiration has a 0.9% FTF and 0.2% conversion fee ( = 1.1% charge).

SoFi has a 1% foreign exchange fee.

Schwab, as always, is golden.

• Like 1

They're good options, but you should know that:

Fidelity has a 1% FTF.
Empower has a 1% ISF and only does one ATM fee reimbursement per month.
Aspiration has a 0.9% FTF and 0.2% conversion fee ( = 1.1% charge).
SoFi has a 1% foreign exchange fee.

Schwab, as always, is golden.
Thanks good info. I use Schwab in Europe and BB in Thailand. My hobby is to accumulate credit and debit cards. Now I have 14 debit cards, 63 credit cards and almost close to a million dollar in available credit.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would actually say Bangkok Bank and that's considering that I use all the main Thai banks.   It's my least favourite bank to deal with in person but the cards have always readily been accessible everywhere I need to go travel wise.   I use a three account system with them for travel.   One account for funds to sit in, and the other two separate accounts to 'fill' as needed through their app.   That way I don't have to worry about losing them and there is no lower skim (not that that's much of an issue nowadays with embedded chip cards) and not authorised card swipe risk.   The two ATM linked accounts have one as that BBL Visa debit card and the other as their Union Pay linked one so I have broader network coverage.  

On 6/11/2019 at 11:46 PM, galolo said:

Any other suggestions guys (THAI banks)?

The most international Thai bank is Bangkok Bank. I've never seen other Thai banks outside Thailand besides Bangkok Bank. 

CIMB is a Malaysian Bank so that's not counted.

Maybe you should talk to Bangkok Bank and ask them for a special ATM card where you can withdraw outside Thailand.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

The most international Thai bank is Bangkok Bank. I've never seen other Thai banks outside Thailand besides Bangkok Bank. 

CIMB is a Malaysian Bank so that's not counted.

Maybe you should talk to Bangkok Bank and ask them for a special ATM card where you can withdraw outside Thailand.

I've been with Bangkok Bank more than 10 years.  Last time I needed to renew my debit card, customer service tried to pass me one of the useless Union Bank cards.  I insisted on a normal Visa debit card. "Can not" said she, "Can!" said I and insisted on seeing the manager.  She suddenly remembered she had a few in her desk.   They are pressured not to issue Visa cards but if you hang tough, you can usually get one.

Was in U.S. last week and decided to try my Bangkok Bank Visa Debit 'rabbit' card just to see if it works, it did not work. The U.S. Bank said they had no clue why it did not work.

As an aside, I never used it before, had this one for two years now. Ever since I had money go missing from my account around 2006 and no recourse from the bank except a great run around, I never used an ATM Card from Bangkok Bank again.