Woman may face Computer Act charges over 'found' wallet story

rooster59

Woman may face Computer Act charges over 'found' wallet story

By The Nation

c9a7bd0ebffe655fd4d3e9a22d32c5a1.jpeg

A Thai woman who claimed on Facebook earlier this month that a mysterious “good citizen” had returned her expensive wallet, may face charges under the Computer Act.

A summons was issued for her to answer the charges by June 29, because police believe the online story was fabricated.

The offence of inputting false information onto the Internet is punishable with a maximum five-year imprisonment and/or a maximum Bt100,000 fine.

75887b40fe0e63dca4ba1ef712dab2e6.jpeg

Thai netizens were full of praise when they heard about the story from Punnarom Supablapaskorn's Facebook post, to which she also attached a photo of the man's hand-written note. 

The note said he was poor but he was good so he returned to the wallet to the owner - in exchange for Bt200 cash to buy an alcohol drink and cover the post fee and his time. 

The note was signed with the nickname "Nuay" following a Thai proverb "Pid Thong Lang Phra" (sticking an adhesive gold leaf onto the back of Buddha statue or doing good secretly).

As some netizens doubted the story's authenticity, Punnarom said that she later talked to Nuay - a construction worker - about the requested payment.

dbe8ae89795dcea324ad0a6f33a7689b.jpeg

However, the man said he didn't want her to send him any money after all as he was already content with the alcohol drink.

Pol Colonel Siriwat Deepor, the spokesman and deputy commander of the Royal Thai Police's Technology Crime Suppression Division, said on Friday that some may wonder why police would go after Punnarom. 

He said this case was about inputting false information onto the computer system to cause doubt and confusion and may be done for a hidden agenda. 

He said more than 100,000 people had shared the story to others while many people filed complaints with the TCSD to investigate. 

TCSD chief Pol Maj General Paiboon Noihoon had officers probe this case gathering witnesses' testimonies and checking on the woman's residence and the post office, Siriwat said.

Police are more than 90 per cent convinced that the story was fabricated so they are proceeding with legal action against the woman, who has now reportedly deleted her Facebook account.

Siriwat urged Thais not to post false information to boost their online identities and create doubt and confusion as that could be a punishable by Thai law. He warned others not to share such stories before checking the information's authenticity as they could become the tool of ill-intentioned persons.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30371520

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-23

What a fakkakte story, more confusing senseless than my wife's excuses as to why dinner is not ready, this woman is a troll and a bored one at that, nothing better to do than to invent stories that sound weird and convoluted so to attract attention...

Reading the story, seems like a waste of police resources to investigate and charge a person with what is essentially a victimless crime. 

Murders thieves rapists around and this takes valuable resources, for what result at the end of the day?

Oh purleeese....  what a insanely pathetic and ridiculous charge...  so what if its a fake story, what on earth is their to gain from posting such a thread or to gain for charging someone from doing so - it reeks of "look at us we're doing something" from the Police while in truth they do nothing but target the easy targets... sanctimonious pampering to the media is all this is... 

Additionally, the manner in which this computer crimes act is used in this country is abhorrent, it targets the weak or to cull politically outspoken.

22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

He said this case was about inputting false information onto the computer system to cause doubt and confusion

The police do a tremendous job in Thailand.

Waiting here patiently for the summons to arrive !

6 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So I have to pearsonally check the validity of everthing before sharing?So do I go to jail if a story I share is not true?

Yes and yes it would seem.

38 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

So does that mean the RTP will charge Trump and local pollies  when they post lies in press releases and interviews?

No jurisdiction but why would they charge Trump? How’s not the one doing the lying......

4 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

No jurisdiction but why would they charge Trump? How’s not the one doing the lying......

56 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

A summons was issued for her to answer the charges by June 29, because police believe the online story was fabricated.

The offence of inputting false information onto the Internet is punishable with a maximum five-year imprisonment and/or a maximum Bt100,000 fine.

Agreed, not Trump as he's not the liar this time/this incident but I seem to have read a gazillion lies and misinformation pre-election and post-election right in Thailand. If the law is equally applied to all, that means the police and the courts are going to be ridiculously overworked.

Nice though to see that Thailand is so concerned about honesty.

51 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes and yes it would seem.

So anybody who enters Thailand can be arrested and thrown in jail if anything they have ever posted on the internet proves to be not true!That's some pretty powerful piece of law and bound to do wonders for tourism once everybody becomes aware of how susceptible they are to the powers claiming to be in charge.No wonder 1984 was banned in Thailand!

It is indeed a very, very scary law.......5 years in jail.

To those wondering why the Thais aren't out on the streets protesting about their stolen democracy, just look how easy it is for the Junta to destroy someones life.

They (the government IO unit) looked back 10 years into FF spokeswoman's Facebook postings to get at her.

Those who think life is just fine under the Junta because there is no street violence are overlooking the massively increased threat of violence, against all and sundry, by this regime (jailing an innocent is an act of violence against that individual, their family, their friends and society at large).

Say what you will about former Prime Ministers Thaksin, Samak, Somchai, Chaovarat, Abhisit, Yingluck and Niwatthamrong under not a single one of them would the police have paid a visit to the singing Frenchman with the parody song about the government and under not a single one of them would the lady mentioned in this article be in the crosshairs.

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The police do a tremendous job in Thailand.

Waiting here patiently for the summons to arrive !

A tremendous job of inputting false information onto the internet. 

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:
3 hours ago, bendejo said:

Motive?

Fakebook likes/clicks.

This kind of bs matters to such a degree?  Man, I'm glad I'm old!

And Thailand comes up with laws about it?  I've long suspected laws are added to give the BiB more assorted justification to get their palms greased.  With this anybody seen tapping on a screen can expect a guy in uniform with his hand out at any moment.

54 minutes ago, bendejo said:

This kind of bs matters to such a degree?  Man, I'm glad I'm old!

And Thailand comes up with laws about it?  I've long suspected laws are added to give the BiB more assorted justification to get their palms greased.  With this anybody seen tapping on a screen can expect a guy in uniform with his hand out at any moment.

No, the laws were added to make it easier for the junta to pursue anyone who dares speak against them.

Under a democratic government, these laws will be rolled back, until then.....beware.

Archived