I wonder why in Thailand traffic does not stop for Zebra crossing

taken

Even when pedestrian crossings have red lights, vehicles do not stop. Take heed, you are not in Kansas anymore cricket. Oops, I mixed stuff up! Also, always look both ways when crossing a street, even if it is One Way. Ya neva know.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kkerry said:

At some Thai shopping centres the security staff will wave a flag or a small strobe light to alert drivers to stop and give way to pedestrians... even they nearly get hit by cars driving through regardless.

vietnam -pedestrian crossings are even more dangerous there.

one of the first things i advise any visitors from my country---dont use pedestrian crossings in thailand..its the best way to get run over....

17 hours ago, taken said:

I am learning from guys like you. It takes some time to acclimatize. Thankyou. 

..i agree with you...its like being invited into the killing zone..so all they see is 'farang/white/farang/white'...it would be a great help if ALL pedestrian crossings had solar/battery flashing pedestrian signs too, as a lot of driver's/riders have no idea there is a crosswalk until they're right on it 

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The Thai behaviour is very similar to the behaviour say in Europe...15 or 20 years ago.

It took the EU metros years, many merciless enforcement by police (done in a honest way), strong repression from the law, massive public safety campaigns and today people do STOP in zebra crossings in major western countries.  Simple.

Try 50 years ago.

It requires a flashing red light and a guard or policemen present for them to notice one. It is dog eat dog on these roads. One must presume nothing and expect recklessness and a lack of courtesy and respect on the roads here. 

There is something about putting a normally courteous Thai person behind the wheel that brings out the beast in them!

28 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

You must be new here. Thais don't stop as Thais do what they want, when they want. Silly farang lol.

I am learning how to behave like Thai's. ???? 

In Simple.  "Do as the romans do" 

When I first started to live in Thailand, doing the right thing to let people cross at crossings, they nearly got wiped out by motor bikes not stopping. I do not stop now, if I see people I hold back from the crossing so others can see the crossing.

Why don't they stop? Where to start?

Education, or lack thereof.

Selfishness. You do not matter.

Ego. I have a car, therefore I am better than you.

Nationality. You are not Thai, therefore you do not matter.

Karma. If you get hit it's your fault for being in that place at that time.

This is just scratching the surface but it is a good jumping off point.

Have to agree with many ( if not all the comments on the post) , however in Pattaya the number of tourists that you see just ignoring the "Don't walk" light at crossings is amazing. Nearly mowed down a clan of what I assumed were Russians the other day as they ambled out against the don't walk sign. Lucky I had the brake covered....

As someone who rides a small bike around Pattaya, I DAREN'T stop unless there is already traffic stopped or the road behind is clear.  It's 90% certain that any car behind me won't stop and I want to live! 

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Because that would require, road safety and driver training, neither  of which are mandatory or evident here.

Besides I don't know of any other country that also puts zebra style crossings with no connecting path in the middle of  4 lanes of dual carriageways where speeds are 60+ - the mind boggles !

should have built subways for people to get from one side of road to the other......OH!!!! wait then there WOULD be motorbikes to avoid....!!!

10 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

As someone who rides a small bike around Pattaya, I DAREN'T stop unless there is already traffic stopped or the road behind is clear.  It's 90% certain that any car behind me won't stop and I want to live! 

very true.....today I stopped for old Thai man to cross on zebra crossing.....HE could NOT believe that I actually stopped...I am from the Uk where PEDESTRIANS have THE RIGHT OF way on said crossings !!!!!

43 minutes ago, essox essox said:

very true.....today I stopped for old Thai man to cross on zebra crossing.....HE could NOT believe that I actually stopped...I am from the Uk where PEDESTRIANS have THE RIGHT OF way on said crossings !!!!!

I think they have the right of way here - once actually on the crossing, of course. But most Thai 'drivers', by far, wouldn't recognise that concept if it reared up and bit them on the arse.

Thais are selfish and inconsiderate when it comes to driving. And being as there's no compulsory driving lessons, prior to a test. How are they supposed to know the highway code regarding zebra crossings? Not their fault if they don't, innit. It's never their fault.

15 hours ago, seasia said:

They do not care, they will happily run you over.

I am currently in a 1st world country where they actually obey zebra crossings .

They stop for pedestrians.

Plus no motorbikes on pavements.

"they will happily run you over." I do not know anyone who would happily do that.
however, always was amazed in CM where red lights on pedestrian crossings are flat-out ignored,
and usually only kinda observed when a pedestrian is in sight on the road.

be careful when you come back,
easy to get lulled into "1st-world"-comfort, but then wake up with a bang !

There is safety in numbers so if you are trying to cross the road in a busy area it’s best to wait until there are 3-4 others. Motorists are more willing to stop for a group of people whereas if you are alone they are like “Get out of my way”.  I am willing to bet half of the drivers don’t know what a zebra crossing is for.

Archived