I wonder why in Thailand traffic does not stop for Zebra crossing

taken

I don't have any park in a nearby vicinity. Therefore have to do daily running on the pavements. Honestly not for a single time a car has stopped or given way to me on the 03 zebra crossings during my circular run of 10 Km.

Today while crossing a car was about to hit me, luckily got out of the way in time. Then the car driver honked at me twice in anger and anxiety as to why he was forced to slow down his vehicle. End of the day this is not my country. 

My humble request to all the drivers to please slow down and give way for pedestrians to cross road especially on the Zebra crossing. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, taken said:

My humble request to all the drivers to please slow down and give way for pedestrians to cross road especially on the Zebra crossing.  

Please be careful. In the unlikely event that someone stops to let you cross, you can almost guarantee that the cars and/or motorcycles behind him will overtake (or undertake) and run you down as you step onto the crossing.

When I first started to drive here I treated zebra crossings as I would back home. I saw a few very close misses when I stopped. Now I drive like the locals (except that I do ease off the "go" pedal and cover the brake pedal when I see folks waiting to cross).

Because that would require, road safety and driver training, neither  of which are mandatory or evident here.

Besides I don't know of any other country that also puts zebra style crossings with no connecting path in the middle of  4 lanes of dual carriageways where speeds are 60+ - the mind boggles !

The Thai behaviour is very similar to the behaviour say in Europe...15 or 20 years ago.

It took the EU metros years, many merciless enforcement by police (done in a honest way), strong repression from the law, massive public safety campaigns and today people do STOP in zebra crossings in major western countries.  Simple.

They do not care, they will happily run you over.

I am currently in a 1st world country where they actually obey zebra crossings .

They stop for pedestrians.

Plus no motorbikes on pavements.

11 hours ago, taken said:

"End of the day this is not my country."  So if you know this Thailand is not as the Zebra I know of UK " The Highway Code ".

I won't stop for you either I'll probably get hit in the rear and it would deemed as my fault for stopping for you instead of you waiting. 

11 hours ago, taken said:

Of course. There are Good, Bad and Ugly drivers in every community. Nothing's perfect. Now it's up to the readers to categorize where they fall in. ????

My wife says “don’t stop you not in Áustralia now, you cause accident and you pay”

She says “let me drive, you danger”, She drives in the middle of the road at 100kms and overtakes on crests and corners and can’t reverse and says many accidents she see are many Falang not know how to drive.

The OP will be from Britain.

In UK the law is that Pedestrian Crossing belong to Pedestrians.

Once a pedestrian places a Foot on a "Zebra" crossing he owns it and is in the right in event of a traffic accident.

Thailand is different.

john

Once before I was a twinkle in my father's eye they were known as Belisher Crossings after the UK transport minister who introduced them in the 1930's.

Crossing Ekammai in Bangkok a few weeks back...  on a crossing, yet I'm well aware no one pays them any attention...  

Traffic is busy passing at about 10kmh (at a guess) so I have to 'cross with confidence'...  A northbound car stops for me, so I step out, the northbound car in the next lane also stops - I nod thanks, the southbound car also stops for me - great !!!.. i step out further and there is a 'mini-lorry' (bigger than a pickup, smaller than a lorry), it's clearly showing no intention of stopping, I have to run to get out of its way, the large mirror hits me on the shoulder... 

In anger, I kick the side of the lorry, the lorry stops, the driver gets out, I think 'here we go' (I was furious and quite ready to 'kick off' - the true warrior in me momentarily awakened), the driver looks at me, straightens his mirror, gets back in his truck and drives off...   thoroughly disappointed I continue on my way... 

Crossing a road in Thailand seems to bring out the true a-hole in some drivers.... 

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

You could have waited 5 seconds for the car to pass, then crossed the road.

LOL.  I waited for damn 07 minutes to cross. But probably you are right. Next time I will take my dog along. May be traffic will take that in consideration

22 minutes ago, Brer said:

My wife says “don’t stop you not in Áustralia now, you cause accident and you pay”

She says “let me drive, you danger”, She drives in the middle of the road at 100kms and overtakes on crests and corners and can’t reverse and says many accidents she see are many Falang not know how to drive.

My wife hates to stop at Zebra Crossings as well.

Then why the hell these Zebra crossings are made. Why not concerned department save money and use funds for better cause. 

First, Thailand will NOT stop for you or anyone.  Look at Red Bull boy, running free after dragging a police officer under the sports car for several down town BKK blocks.  Now, think!!!!!  If that happens to a Thai police officer, you really think, want, or believe you will receive, or deserve better treatment.  Thais are PROUD of the fact they have one of highest road kill stats in the world.  They like being number one.  Remember that while you manage to survive day by day here.

Remember:  You love this place that's why you are here...accept the good, bad, and ugly just as in marriage you have to tolerate all of it that's what you signed up for like the rest of us.

Archived