A smart and safe home a new concept for digital age, says researcher

snoop1130

A smart and safe home a new concept for digital age, says researcher

smart-home-3148026_1280.jpg

Associate Professor Krischonme Bhumkittipich, of the Department of Electrical Engineering at Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi (RMUTT), revealed his new research into technology that goes beyond “smart home” to keep us both “smart” and “safe”.

Using his engineering expertise, Dr. Krischonme advised a group of post graduates to develop what they call “the power and energy research (PSRC) LAB” to put the concept of a smart home and an electrical circuit breaker into “one single technology”, to ensure safety as well as smartness.

The researcher explained that recent smart home technology, such as the Google smart home hub, still does not address questions that go beyond management and control of smart devices, which are sometimes unsafe, especially if they have been post-market modified.

He said, for example, when the electrical connection of an appliance is loose and someone, without knowing, remotely activates that appliance, it could cause an electrical fire or give an electrical shock to anyone touching it, adding smart home technology in the market today leaves the safety function to the conventional electrical circuit breaker.

His research project, launched in 2009, designed a solid-state circuit breaker that replaces the electromechanical functions of a traditional device. The solid-sate breaker is faster, and thus safer. A solid-state device can move at the speed of a computer, improving the device’s kilo-amperes interrupting capacity, or KAIC, a key measure of a circuit breaker’s ability to perform its core function of keeping electrical equipment safe.

Although the solid-state breaker technology is still expensive, he predicts that, with advances in smart home functionality, prices of devices can be lowered to become competitive. In terms of design, it makes every day management of home appliances, and future Internet of Things (IoT) devices, easier through this integrated switches and a gateway panel with an OS called “Home@Cloud”, the heart of the system.

He went on to say that the Home@Cloud turns a simple home into a truly smart one by letting it calculate the risk of electrical hazard prior to implementing a command entered by users. The Home@Cloud acts as a gateway to all IoT devices in the house, changing the concept of the smart home and electrical safety.

Dr. Krischonme said his research project is funded by the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (MDES) which plans to expand the research output to a wider use once the prototype is fully completed and tested in the near future.

He said that the RMUTT is collaborating with many colleges in Japan, China, Australia, Malaysia and European countries in research into smart technology, especially as Thailand’s society ages. He believes the elderly population will benefit greatly from smart and safe home technology as they will be more independent and rely less on care givers.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-smart-and-safe-home-a-new-concept-for-digital-age-says-researcher/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-27

Thai builders haven't even figured out yet how to build dumb homes but they are worrying about smart ones?

Maybe they can first learn how to

properly put together two pieces of plumbing without leaks

wire electric so it's properly grounded and not a hazard 

I'll stick with my simple thermal-magnetic MCBs and RCDs thanks. They are well proven, simple and reliable.

What's the failure mode of these electronic devices? Fail open - you have no power, fail closed - you have no protection.

2 minutes ago, dcnx said:

After they figure out how to earth / ground a home, then perhaps they can talk about smart homes.

It's not so much they don't know, but following safety rules is not seen as important. Especially when an officer from the tessaban can be bought for 500 Baht, to say it conforms to the correct standards, makes it cheaper than installing an earthing system. The power outlets with an earth pin are fitted, they're just not connected to anything.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Home@Cloud acts as a gateway to all IoT devices in the house, changing the concept of the smart home and electrical safety.

Put all your household security in the cloud.

What could go wrong?

Cloud hacking.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Home@Cloud acts as a gateway to all IoT devices in the house, changing the concept of the smart home and electrical safety.

Yeah but won't it all be turned off during thunderstorms .. 

How many of us have or are willing to have IoT devices, what do they do for your safety or quality of life?

We have none and I don't expect we will be having them, at least not willingly.

My dad has a smart speaker (Alexa thingy) which he was given by the Blind Veterans Association in the UK. After a few weeks the novelty wore off and she was put away. Now after a house tidy they can't find it and the batteries are flat so they can't ask where she is. Not missed.

I've been playing with a wifi enabled smart bulb...it came from China they wanted it to connect to their server to be able to send commands and control it via Android app...noooooo...luckily

some clever sods made some nice software/firmware so you can control it yourself.

https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/blob/master/README.md

I then installed "Tasmota"

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/releases

Now it can be controlled (I think and hope) only via my home LAN/wifi....and if/when I want to via the public internet...nothing goes to China !

The professor does not need to do any research since Thailand is always about 10-20 years behind the rest of the civilized world they will always have the “latest technology” years after everybody else for free.?
Hell you can’t even register Alexa in Thailand and have to opt for a different country.
Smart home appliances can mostly only be used at 10 % of their potential if at all in this country!
Not even a proper security system which are around since 30 years would work in this country because there is no authority which would respond !

Before trying to announce of being the bloody hub of everything they maybe could go back to the basics first and get a steady electricity supply to every household that does not have to be cut every time the wind blows a bit or a thunderstorm approaches and how to run a proper ground wire!
I am sick and tired of reading this stories of people trying to get themselves into the news with nonsense! So professor what was the last great Thai invention that made the world a better place?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 minutes ago, mania said:

555 Maybe he should talk a bit about the crazy ideas of hanging 220v instant water heaters in the shower?

Where folks while standing in shower water try to adjust temps etc ????

I thought it was smart - it comes under 'population control'.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:08 AM, Crossy said:

I'll stick with my simple thermal-magnetic MCBs and RCDs thanks. They are well proven, simple and reliable.

What's the failure mode of these electronic devices? Fail open - you have no power, fail closed - you have no protection.

Like the system on my wife's car. Battery goes a bit low and the whole thing shuts down and I mean shuts down.

Means new battery fitted and it has to sit for a few hours so all the computer gubbins can ger themselves re-set.

Archived