Don't Expect be asked for medical Insurance for O-A visa at London Embassy 1st July

I just got an email back from an IM officer to my question: When will Medical insurance be required for applications for O-A visa.

Answer back:

Dear Sir/Madam,

WE DO NOT REQUIRE MEDICAL INSURANCE. May I please know which website show about medical insurance.

I sent them a link back to the source (National Newspaper)  - Still awaiting a response...

• Haha 1

Well that’s good news if it happens ( or doesn’t happen [emoji848]).
When they announced the mandatory health insurance insurance for an OA the reason they gave was to cover the pesky farang not paying their hospital bill. Then they came up with “ all visitors to pay an additional 100 baht for insurance “ idea .
Maybe the latter cancels the former ??, although I’m not sure the 100 baht idea was implemented either ??

• Like 1

No surprise in their response since as far as I know it has not be formally been approved for implementation.

Nothing shown on the MFA or the Consular Affairs websites.

I have saying for some time now that the July date was only supposition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

Heres the article that "July" originates from, as Joe has said its not confirmed (implementation date and final details that is, the actual requirement has already been approved by the cabinet) even the title says "likely" rather than "will"

I think the cabinet approved it in principle since it was proposed by the Health Ministry. Still some approvals along the way to get it to the point of it being a requirement.

5 minutes ago, chuang said:

I think you should ask the question to the embassy in your home country where you apply for the O-A visa,

if i am not mistaken..

I think that is what he did but incorrectly wrote IM officer instead of consular officer since he mentioned the London embassy in the title.

Thai general consulate in Berlin does not mention health insurance for Non O-A visa.

But for the infamous Non O-X ("10 yr visa") they do!

I wonder wether anyone has ever bothered to fulfill the ludicrous requirements and bureaucracy for this visa.

Text is in German, so I won't link it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Same at the London website for the "Non O-X".

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

Applicants must have Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

This is consistent with statements that the whole idea (currently) applies to Non O-X only.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

But for the infamous Non O-X ("10 yr visa") they do!

I wonder wether anyone has ever bothered to fulfill the ludicrous requirements and bureaucracy for this visa.

I have seen one report by a member that got one at the embassy in the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that is what he did but incorrectly wrote IM officer instead of consular officer since he mentioned the London embassy in the title.

Yup - Quite right UbonJoe - I was wrong in stating IM officer - below is the copy and paste from actual email, which was:

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer