Retirement Visa Changes & Rate of Exchange leaves many expats in a quandary

1 hour ago, stropper said:

you have got to be fffffff kidding !

Thanks you have saved me the job couldn’t have put it better.

Thought he was going to announce that the Australian government was going to make it easier for people who had worked all their lives and paid taxes but want to live overseas to get the aged pension.

Ha Ha Ha Ha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daveyh said:

Any advice any member can give would be most helpful. I intend staying in the area even if my retirement visa takes a year before I reapply. Thank you for your help it's much appreciated.

The agent option, if available in your area, will cover you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sexyman said:

For 12,500 the agent gets the retirement extension, and also does the 90 day reporting all included in the 12,500.  For me the best solution, as I don't need to break my investments abroad where I'm earning much more than the agency fee. And no need to get involved with keeping 800k in Thai banks and all the other BS

This assumes you already have a single entry Non-O then?

I've seen ads for 19,500 and even 25,000.  All for the same services?

3 minutes ago, ExpatNP said:

This assumes you already have a single entry Non-O then?

I've seen ads for 19,500 and even 25,000.  All for the same services?

The Agent can convert your Tourist Visa providing you have 15 days left on it to a Non O then an Extension of Stay at the same time giving you 15 months.

Agents prices vary,, you have to be careful, one Agent was making his own Visa stamps.

3 hours ago, sexyman said:

Get an agent to do it. 12,500 all done. They even do the 90 day reporting for you. Too easy. 

After 30+ years in Thailand I moved to the Philippines because of my Filippina wife's need to be around her family. I have given it a try here for almost three years and even have progressed to the "Probationary Resident" status including ID Card but I am an old man and need to be around my new Grandson and new one on his way in Krabi so after some chemo and radiology treatments in Canada for my newly found cancer I will return to Thailand with my wife. I am not sure if I should go back to the Tourist Visa bullshit or just go through an agency and go that way for a "retirement visa"? I am therefore very interested in everyone's input into the "new" immigration laws. I have a good pension of around 80,000 so I am looking for advice in regards to just showing them proof of my monthly pension income.

2 hours ago, sexyman said:

For 12,500 the agent gets the retirement extension, and also does the 90 day reporting all included in the 12,500.  For me the best solution, as I don't need to break my investments abroad where I'm earning much more than the agency fee. And no need to get involved with keeping 800k in Thai banks and all the other BS

Hey there sexyman, any chance you would share the name and how to contact this 12,500 baht agent?

Just now, carken said:

Hey there sexyman, any chance you would share the name and how to contact this 12,500 baht agent?

Just walk along Soi Bukhao and call into too the many Visa shops and ask them what they charge.

No one is going to put an Agents name on here !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gamini said:
5 hours ago, coppywriter said:

OP if you have been here on a retirement extension for 20 years, why are you keeping 800,000 bht in the bank. Back then it was much less and was grandfathered, surely.

It actually changed 19 years ago. 

It changed in October 1998, someone would only still be grandfathered in on the old 200k if they'd be on continuous extensions since that time, and were at least 55 / 60 at the time. 

2 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

After 30+ years in Thailand I moved to the Philippines because of my Filippina wife's need to be around her family. I have given it a try here for almost three years and even have progressed to the "Probationary Resident" status including ID Card but I am an old man and need to be around my new Grandson and new one on his way in Krabi so after some chemo and radiology treatments in Canada for my newly found cancer I will return to Thailand with my wife. I am not sure if I should go back to the Tourist Visa bullshit or just go through an agency and go that way for a "retirement visa"? I am therefore very interested in everyone's input into the "new" immigration laws. I have a good pension of around 80,000 so I am looking for advice in regards to just showing them proof of my monthly pension income.

Is your wife and family Thai or from the Philippines?  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

With a 'Fillapina" wife and her family is in the Philippines I'd say its a fair bet she is from the Philippines.

He writes, " I am an old man and need to be around my new Grandson and new one on his way in Krabi ...... I will return to Thailand with my wife." I didn't think Krabi was in the Philippines.  

54 minutes ago, dode57k said:

I am in the unfortunate position (financially) of having to work in the UK for a few more years and suffer the declining pound to Baht exchange rate. You're right..a nasty, high taxed, increasingly xenophobic, cold, wet, grey country. I'm so looking forward to my last ever flight out of here.

It will get better I'm quite sure. There are frustrations here, no doubt about that, but at least for me and many others, far less than we find in the UK. 

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

He writes, " I am an old man and need to be around my new Grandson and new one on his way in Krabi ...... I will return to Thailand with my wife." I didn't think Krabi was in the Philippines.  

You are correct. Krabi is not in the Philippines. His grandson is in Krabi apparently. Maybe he and his wife have had kids in Thailand - I really don't know. But he refers to his wife as a Filippina and mentions her family is there, which is why he went there. As I said its fair bet she is from the Philippines - not a certainty but a fair bet.

He may have met her in Canada.

Not sure why any of this is relevant to the thread.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

You are correct. Krabi is not in the Philippines. His grandson is in Krabi apparently. Maybe he and his wife have had kids in Thailand - I really don't know. But he refers to his wife as a Filippina and mentions her family is there, which is why he went there. As I said its fair bet she is from the Philippines - not a certainty but a fair bet.

He may have met her in Canada.

Not sure why any of this is relevant to the thread.

He is asking about visa to stay in Thailand.  Makes a difference if his wife is Thai.