Giving birth in Thailand public hospital

Gracenay

Hello , i am a Kenyan lady came to Thailand when i was 7 months pregnant,for my business,i buy Clothes from BKK and sell them in Kenya, when i arrived here i realized im not in a good condition to travel long distance therefore i decided to buy and ship the products home,and be doing that till when i give birth, i was told that in Banglamun hospital they are not friendly with Farangs, I now get scared that i am Black, the kind of treatment i might get, and who knows about the costs?please assist,my business is not so big thus i cant afford private hospitals...i am due in early September...

Edited by Gracenay
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Gracenay said:

I now get scared that i am Black

Is giving birth by a black woman different to thai or "white" woman ? 
Did you ever encounter rasist behaviour from Thai towards you ?
Why so negative ? Come on, be happy and enjoy Chiang Mai and the coming event of giving birth to your baby.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

It is a basic Government Hospital, try and get a Thai friend to assist you, ask about price for a shared / private  room rather than a ward etc, go well before baby is expected for a check up etc, I don't see why they would treat you any differently to any other foreigner!

Arrange transport before baby is due!

The cost will be fairly low compared to most other countries.

Thank you so much this is very helpful,be blessed

I suggest you find a local doctor as they will book the facilities at a local hospital and you will know in advance what you are expected to pay.

That is my understanding following my wife giving birth but she is Thai

You will get good care

8 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I very much doubt any airline would have allowed you travel at 7 months pregnant. 

But anyway giving birth is normal. You will be ok.

I came with Emirates, i didn 't mention to them that i was 7 months, my belly doesn't show that much and i was wearing some big and loose outfits....i took that risk just for the sake of my business and for the time after giving birth i wont be able to work...U know,no work ,no money...

14 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I suggest you find a local doctor as they will book the facilities at a local hospital and you will know in advance what you are expected to pay.

That is my understanding following my wife giving birth but she is Thai

You will get good care

Thank you so much

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Agree, I just asked my Thai daughter in law, she says overall Thai government hospitals have a good reputation for birth, and for Thais the cost is very reasonable and probably not much more expensive for foreigners.

She also mentioned some Thai government (and private) hospitals have a package price, including several visits before birth, the full birth costs and some follow up. Perhaps worth some follow up.

She also mentioned it would be very doubtful you would find any discrimination or lack of full care because of skin colour. 

Thank you so much,this gives me a big relief... I was thinking all day and night, i lost weight thinking about these things considering that im alone in the foreign country and pregnant...

52 minutes ago, Gracenay said:

Thank you so much,this gives me a big relief... I was thinking all day and night, i lost weight thinking about these things considering that im alone in the foreign country and pregnant...

One other point, have you contacted your embassy to check the process to get your baby's birth registered in your own country? Perhaps there are some forms you should take with you to the hospital so they are completed quickly and avoid further visits just for this purpose.

Also, the baby, as as born, will need a passport to travel out of Thailand so best to get all the documents completed at the hospital as quickly as possible and lodged with your embassy to help get the passport as quickly as possible.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

Since my friend's wife gave there birth recently too, I can second each aspect.

5 hours ago, Kim J said:

Mrs Kim went to Queen Sirikit hospital near Sattahip. Everything was excellent and a small fraction of the price Bangkok Pattaya quoted.

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

One other point, have you contacted your embassy to check the process to get your baby's birth registered in your own country? Perhaps there are some forms you should take with you to the hospital so they are completed quickly and avoid further visits just for this purpose.

Also, the baby, as as born, will need a passport to travel out of Thailand so best to get all the documents completed at the hospital as quickly as possible and lodged with your embassy to help get the passport as quickly as possible.

OMG, i didnt think about this, we dont have Embassy here , oh Nooo im dead!

• Like 1

Private rooms at the general hospital are fantastic , 2000 bht a night.

The bad news , they are in much demand , i had to pay a sweetner , to have one.

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gracenay said:

OMG, i didnt think about this, we dont have Embassy here , oh Nooo im dead!

There must be some representation from your country either here or offered by another embassy as a contact point or perhaps a regional embassy.

I suggest you need to find the website of the home office in your country which issues passports (it exists - you have a passport) and e-mail to them for advice on the procedure, it must exist.

Perhaps you should decide which hospital you will use here in Thailand for the birth and ask them for a copy of the document they will issue to you when your baby is born so that you have something to copy into an e-mail to your home office. Suggest you do it now so your well prepared. 

I don't know much about this subject but here's one thought; in some circumstances you can get a temporary travel document (a letter) to replace a lost passport. This is normally issued by the embassy in Bkk of the home country.

Perhaps this letter can be issued by the Thai police or Thai Immigration in special circumstances. I'm not saying this is fact, just a wild guess.

Or perhaps go to the hospital you have selected, get a blank copy of the birth document they will issue and ask the hospital staff if they know what you can do to get some type of travel document for the baby. 

I recall 3 or 4 years back a male university student from Nigeria, studying here in Bangkok lost his passport. The only way he could get a replacement was to return to Nigeria. To be able to travel out of Thailand he must have received a temporary travel document letter from somewhere - perhaps it was issued from the passport office in Nigeria and sent to him here in Bangkok (i'm guessing).

Perhaps you should e-mail home to the passport issuing office, and attach a copy of the birth document the Thai hospital will issue and ask them if they can provide you with an urgent temporary travel document for your baby.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

My input is a little different but something that I think you should be aware of.

A Thai friend's daughter was expecting. I assumed that it would be a natural birth as there were no health issues that would indicate the need for a C-section (caesarean section).

However, C-section it was. I asked "why" and was told most babies in Thailand are delivered by C.

Again, I asked "why". Right or wrong answer, I was told that C is the preferred method of delivery by the doctors over "natural" as it allows the doctor to establish a schedule that is compatible with his/her schedule.

As others have suggested, do your research well ahead of time, establish a relationship with a doctor and ask all the relevant questions. Avoid surprises at that critical moment.

Your thread is young. I'm guessing "Sheryl" will jump in here soon and give you her valuable input.

Best wishes for you and baby.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Thais comment about things we find upsetting but they don't mean any hard. They ask my age, weight and maybe sex life. They describe people from there looks. Its how you act and conduct yourself that important to them. Doctors and staff are very professional and will treat you well. Most are trained to western standards of care so don't worry. Calling you "falong" or "black person" is just to identify you. BTW Thais that are fat are called fat without putting them down.

Try sharing your culture with them and trying to learn Thai culture. I'm sure your daughter in law can help. Try to engage them and they will love you for it.

Why are you making these comments to me? "... trying to learn Thai culture. I'm sure your daughter in law can help. ...".

I've been in Thailand 30 plus years, I've been a permanent resident of Thailand well over 20 years, I speak pretty good Thai, I had a long-term wonderful marriage with a Thai lady (doctor medicine, devoted to the poor) but sadly she's already passed away, and I've had long-term contact with Thai folks from all walks of life, all age groups, different industries, rich and poor. I'm no expert about Thai culture but do have pretty good insights into Thai culture. I have a wonderful relationship with my Thai son's wife and I listen to her. So I think I'm doing OK on this front.

But let's get back to the thread and see what good advice we can offer to the lady about to give birth and she's away from home.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 1:29 AM, Gracenay said:

I came with Emirates, i didn 't mention to them that i was 7 months, my belly doesn't show that much and i was wearing some big and loose outfits....i took that risk just for the sake of my business and for the time after giving birth i wont be able to work...U know,no work ,no money...

You should find a doctor to care of you and your pregnancy before you go to hospital, that is the normal way here, they will arrange the hospital and when you should go, I think they give you a notebook where the progress of the pregnancy is followed for the hospital in case of any problems. The hospital where you give birth will also do follow up checks on the child after the birth and follow the child's progress for some time, can he walk yet, sit up by himself, place things in his mouth, hear properly etc. My missus gave birth to our son in a public hospital, she chose a public ward for the company, the care was very good. You won't have a problem because of your skin colour, be positive and look forward to your child.

• Like 1

If you are well & a normal birth they will look after you & you do not need to fear.

You will be charged a minimal fair amount.

The midwives here are as good as anywhere.

Make sure you go for at least one checkup, book in BEFORE 

Enjoy your  offspring.

On 7/6/2019 at 8:04 PM, Gracenay said:

I have come across racism in Thailand many times, seems like the dark skin is un usual here, i met people who asked to touch my skin and hair to feel the difference, i met people who shouted at their kids because they were being friendly and smiled at me, i also met people who crossed the road immediately after seeing me coming through the same side of the road...its crazy but it really happened...and that got me scared,but thank u so much for encouraging me

If you feel unhappy in Thailand and you consider Thai ppl rascist , why do business with them?

Buy from China like most African dealers do. Much cheaper.

Don't overstay your visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grace, there are a number of issues you are facing.

First, do you a visa valid for at least a month after the due date for the baby? If not, you may face problems with immigration. Being detained when heavily pregnant or with a new-born baby would be a problem.

Second, do you have health insurance or sufficient money for the hospital/doctor bills? As a non-Thai, you will have to pay. If a cesarean is performed, this could easily come to over 50,000 baht. Hopefully you have sufficient money for this and a return ticket to Kenya.

Thirdly, The child will have no rights to Thai nationality (unless the father is a Thai). And you will need some travel document so it can leave the country. You have been given a link to the Kenyan embassy i think.

Fourth, Do you have anyone to help you during this time?  If not, another problem.

I wish you the best in deciding what to do.