What Food Could You Never Eat?

Tuna mayonnaise sandwich. Once it gets within smelling distance I can feel every atom in my body being repulsed and my stomach starting to spasm, the smell is so utterly rancid, I literally wouldn't eat one for a billion dollars. 

tuna.jpg

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

My stomach already starts revolting when my nose gets only the smell of it.

Somtham/ Laos Style with fermented fish sauce. When my wife and family eats it, I usually go out. Would they create a new weapon, this smell is deadly. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

My stomach already starts revolting when my nose gets only the smell of it.

Somtham/ Laos Style with fermented fish sauce. When my wife and family eats it, I usually go out. Would they create a new weapon, this smell is deadly. 

You mean the somtam with pla-ra? That stuff really does stink, smells quite like cat shit. Indeed the first time I smelled it the people at the market couldn't figure out why I kept looking at the bottom of my shoes. I have tasted the somtam though and it doesn't taste like it smells, much like fish sauce - even Worcestershire sauce smells a bit wrong but tastes wonderful.

Edited by SteveK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

i guess you are going to die then.

To me it looks like there are many that is going to die.

To all: The question was is you were stranded in the wilderness and starving. I do not think you would be so picky then. So, for most of you the real answer would be that you eat your own flesh if it would help you survive.

33 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

To all: The question was is you were stranded in the wilderness and starving. I do not think you would be so picky then. So, for most of you the real answer would be that you eat your own flesh if it would help you survive.

I would rather eat my own cock and balls than a tuna mayonnaise sandwich.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Can we watch?

Certainly - when I find myself on a remote desert island with wifi, phone charging facilities, and with only a tuna mayonnaise sandwich to eat or my own cock and balls, I will upload the video.

• Haha 1

Pla-ra has to be the worst smell ever. Never got so far as to taste it, never will. Its rotten fish fermenting. The un-cooked or 'mai suk' is even worse. Ever experienced someone cooking up a batch of the un-cooked version ? I have but never again. 

I do allow Som Tum in the house with cooked Pla-ra in it btw.

By comparison I'm a great lover of Durian......We happily buy 10kg at a time.

As someone with a chemistry background, I often wonder what chemical it is which is found in both cat faeces and pla-ra. I would bet my life on it being a chemical with sulphur in it - jesus it stinks so bad it can make you gag.

I can eat most things.  Even the smelly pla-ra (so long as its only in small amounts).  

Even eath the fried insects, raw laab, blood 'soup' (Lu), chickens feet, cows veins soup, frogs, fish heads and eyes, raw prawns, and a lot more foods I never encountered in the UK

However, I can't eat KFC fried chicken... always too greasy, mushy and fatty and about 30 minutes later I feel like I want to vomit and feel like that several hours later.

I also can't stand oily fish like salmon, sardines or mackerel.. make me gag.  I really tried to get used to them as they are so healthy.  

Love Durian.

Hate Balut. Actually tried it in Lao. Just as disgusting as I'd thought.

I also stay well clear of offal. Have enough money to not need to eat the innards of animals thanks. Includes pig ears. Leave more for the poors.

Not keen on freshwater fish. Tilapia. It's soft, cheap no taste.

I used to be ok with foods containing pla-ra but I just can't stomach the smell any more. Completely ruins some tam.

Amazing how many farang will tell you they love Thai food but in reality never touch it.

Edited by Number 6

6 hours ago, 473geo said:

I am however curious as to who or what would be growing Brussel sprouts in the wilderness?

There wild ones growing that I throw out when out camping as I had a tin of beetroot my back pack..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

As someone with a chemistry background, I often wonder what chemical it is which is found in both cat faeces and pla-ra. I would bet my life on it being a chemical with sulphur in it - jesus it stinks so bad it can make you gag.

I'd be betting there's some butyric acid there as well.

Cats process protein very inefficiently, so some of the stink is probably ammonia.