Helmets

xerostar

I noticed my GF was wearing a helmet that was far too big for her head. I could rotate the helmet on her head - 30 degrees in all directions it was so loose! I think a helmet like that would be useless in a crash.

I saw some helmets at Big C . They were all open face with a visor and they were too big for my head. So I doubt any would be a good fit for Thai people.

I thought that helmets should be a snug fit and not move about, even before the chin strap is secured.

Can somebody tell me where to go to get a properly fitted, quality helmet.

And are full-face helmets recommened ?

I would think it just as important to protect the face as well as the skull ?

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Full face is recommended if you want the most safety and protection from debris/dirt/bugs. Anything under 2.5k THB or some such will most likely be too crappy. Brands like Shark or HJC offer good quality at somewhat reasonable prices. Bilmola and Real are cheaper brands that I would still count as kinda acceptable. I don't think you will find these at Big C, Tesco etc. Look for shops catering to big bike riders. It depends on where you are but in BKK there are a bunch of them like YourHelmets and Panda Rider.

You are right that a proper fit for a helmet is to be snug and not move freely around. A helmet needs to be on the tight side when buying as it will "break in" and loosen up after a week or two.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, xerostar said:

I thought that helmets should be a snug fit and not move about, even before the chin strap is secured.

This is correct, but an open face helmet will always move to some degree and never sit as tight as a full face helmet

18 minutes ago, xerostar said:

The only way to find this is by trying on helmets

20 minutes ago, xerostar said:

And are full-face helmets recommened ?

For protection definitely yes. An open face helmet is of course more comfortable to wear (at least at speeds below 80km/h)

21 minutes ago, xerostar said:

For this you have to tell people where you are and what the budget is.