Staying in Thailand 6 months per year

I have been staying in Thailand for a few years with an extension based on retirement. I am considering buying a property back in the U.K. and spending 50% of the year in U.K. and 50% in Thailand. What would be the best way (with regard to visas) for my 6 months in Thailand each year? I'm assuming that the extension i already have would run out as i wouldn't be doing 90 day reports and maybe wouldn't be in Thailand on the renewal date

The 90 day report isn't an issue as no need to do them when back in UK. 

Are you on 12 month extensions? Based on ?

Not possible to organize your time in los around your date to apply for subsequent extensions?

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Keep all the qualifying money in Thailand, when ready to return get a nonImm ‘O’ visa with bank book copies, return and extend after two months. Then return to UK with a re-entry permit. That is what I had to do when my passport expired while I was in UK for my seven month summer stay. 

Many people spend winters in Thailand on a retirement extension. If you have it all set up, and use the 800k in the bank, and can afford to leave it there, I say carry on as before. Or same if you use an agent. Income, 65,000 pcm, every month, would not be suitable unless you plan to be spending it all.

90 day reporting not required when you are out of the country.

Edited by jacko45k

I am using ME-non-O marriage for that purpose. My wife has permanent residency in Germany and live in our house and work there. 6 months of the year I am going to Thailand to take care of our properties, we invested for our retirement and to work in the region as consultant . Works well for more than20 years. Never filed any report

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Many people spend winters in Thailand on a retirement extension. If you have it all set up, and use the 800k in the bank, and can afford to leave it there, I say carry on as before. Or same if you use an agent. Income, 65,000 pcm, every month, would not be suitable unless you plan to be spending it all.

90 day reporting not required when you are out of the country.

I use the 800k in the bank method and don't have a problem leaving it there. Are you saying i should time my stay so that i am in Thailand when my extension is due for renewal (mid September) ?

Then not worry about missing 90 day reports during the 6 months i am in the UK?

If that would work and i don't get any hassle from immigration then that would be perfect.

22 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

No need to do or worry about doing 90 day reports of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country since you not be in the country.

24 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

If that would work and i don't get any hassle from immigration then that would be perfect.

Yes it would certainly work.

Like many said, keep your retirement extension.

Just make sure that the renewal date is during the 6 months that you are in Thailand.

Otherwise, use the O-A that you renew in your home country.

I do pretty much the same....however I have more issues on the UK front....effectively being out of the country more than 90 days could be an issue and also if you are leaving a house empty for 6 months -this could invalidate your house insurance

Renting the property out for 6 months is frowned upon by estate agents etc - plus you potentially have to find a place for all your stuff.....

I ended up going to the UK last year for 3 months and getting holiday lets....and left my tenant in my house

This year we are going to give him notice and stay for 6 months...I have found this the best way forward for me.

On the visa front I got a retirement visa - which I just extend once a year. 

• Like 1

How long the re-entry permit is effective?

Example i go in Los the first december with a married visa i get out 10 january for a trip to Taiwan come back 3 weeks later around first february,then go back to Canada after songkran 20 april..... i guess i need to come back before the first december of the following year to continue on the same visa?

I've nerver ask for a re-entry permit before,i renew my visa every year so i guess i paid for nothing am i right?

It was failed to be mentioned that in fact if you do the money in the bank there is a mandatory 90 report after your extension issued.  Chonburi gave me the paper stamped for 90 days after to report back to verify that the 800,000 is still in the account as the rules state.  I was told to appear in person with my updated bank book from that day I report.

Edited by bkk6060

31 minutes ago, Bigstef said:

How long the re-entry permit is effective?

A re-entry permit is until the permit to stay it issued for ends. For example if you apply for a one year extension of stay a re-entry permit would be valid to the it ends. A single re-entry permit would no longer be valid for entry after it is used. A multiple re-entry allows ulimit entries up to the date it expires.

31 minutes ago, Bigstef said:

I've nerver ask for a re-entry permit before,i renew my visa every year so i guess i paid for nothing am i right?

Unless you plan a on traveling during the year your extension of stay (it is not a visa) it is valid you do not need one. 

I assume you are not applying for a multiple entry visa at a embassy or consulate since you do not need a re-entry permit for it since it allows unlimited entries up to the date it expires.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A re-entry permit is until the permit to stay it issued for ends. For example if you apply for a one year extension of stay a re-entry permit would be valid to the it ends. A single re-entry permit would no longer be valid for entry after it is used. A multiple re-entry allows ulimit entries up to the date it expires.

Unless you plan a on traveling during the year your extension of stay (it is not a visa) it is valid you do not need one. 

I assume you are not applying for a multiple entry visa at a embassy or consulate since you do not need a re-entry permit for it since it allows unlimited entries up to the date it expires.

Thanks Ubon for your answer but let me clear my situation....

This year is different because my brother coming to visit me and we will go travel together.....Usually i stay in Thailand five months i do one 90 days report,so evey year i go make a new married visa in Canada,so my question is if i make a re-entry permit and i come back before my visa is finnish i don't need to pay for the visa in Canada? 

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I’m surprised no one said use an easy to get METV. If you plan to do even a little travel outside Thailand plan it for 60 days or a few days less after your first entry. You can extend the first 60 days by 30 but why bother doing that. Then come back after a few days or even one day somewhere else and repeat. You get 60 days entry each time.  It’s so easy and I’m getting my 5 th one this fall. I spend 1/2 the year in Thailand and then work about 6 months in the states. No stupid 90 day reports or putting 800k in a Thai bank ever. The paperwork is super easy and you just mail it to the Embassy or consulate that covers you a couple weeks before you arrive. If you don’t stay here for 6 months In  a row then maybe the other option is better.  Since I leave after each 60 day entry I never do a TM30 also a waste and hassle.  Great way to see other parts of Asia as well. 

As the OP is British and applying from the UK, the problem with METV is that certainly the London Embassy makes getting a METV difficult. By that  I mean they ask to see a letter from your employer as well together with the financial requirements. 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html.

If one is retired or just not working that becomes difficult.

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It was failed to be mentioned that in fact if you do the money in the bank there is a mandatory 90 report after your extension issued.  Chonburi gave me the paper stamped for 90 days after to report back to verify that the 800,000 is still in the account as the rules state.  I was told to appear in person with my updated bank book from that day I report.

Another requirement that changes with different offices/officers.  There are posts saying no report required, others who will be out of the country being told do it when they get back and now you posting it's mandatory.

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I’m surprised no one said use an easy to get METV. If you plan to do even a little travel outside Thailand plan it for 60 days or a few days less after your first entry. You can extend the first 60 days by 30 but why bother doing that. Then come back after a few days or even one day somewhere else and repeat. You get 60 days entry each time.  It’s so easy and I’m getting my 5 th one this fall. I spend 1/2 the year in Thailand and then work about 6 months in the states. No stupid 90 day reports or putting 800k in a Thai bank ever. The paperwork is super easy and you just mail it to the Embassy or consulate that covers you a couple weeks before you arrive. If you don’t stay here for 6 months In  a row then maybe the other option is better.  Since I leave after each 60 day entry I never do a TM30 also a waste and hassle.  Great way to see other parts of Asia as well. 

I cant work out the METV.

Thai embassy in Canberra website says 6 months max.

VISA TYPE

New Fee

(Australian Dollar)

(per entry / transaction / request)

Transit

- Single entry / validity of 3 months

- Double entries / validity of 3 months

45 AUD

90 AUD

Tourist

- Multiple entries / validity of 6 months

55 AUD

275 AUD

Non-Immigrant

- Multiple entries / validity of 12 months

110 AUD

275 AUD

Diplomatic / Official / Courtesy

Gratis

Currently on OA. I like to travel and 60 days max would be fine.

Want to spend 6 months here each year for tax residency. Obviously doesnt have to be in one block.

Single. No Non- imm O fits me.

Renting condo on 12 mth lease, which I intend renewing.

Hot tips please.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:53 AM, FritsSikkink said:

You only have to do a report if you stay longer than 90 days in the country. the 90 days start counting again when you return. Has nothing to do with your extension. As long as you are back on time to renew, you are ok.

and not too hard to schedule a trip to Cambodia or laos for a few days around the 88 day mark, then with a re entry permit go back into Thailand.  No need to do the 90 day report.  Although I still suspect that if one were in Thailand say from Jan to almost the end of June, but in March left for a few days then came back, then left in June before 90 days more elapsed Immigration would raise an eyebrow or at least ask some questions.

2 hours ago, VBF said:

As the OP is British and applying from the UK, the problem with METV is that certainly the London Embassy makes getting a METV difficult. By that  I mean they ask to see a letter from your employer as well together with the financial requirements. 

I think a letter maybe on a letterhead saying you work at xyz company is all they want for a file that is probably lost or thrown away. They $$ requirement is the equivalent of $7000 USD which is much more manageable than 800k baht in a Thai bank. 

You know in some consulates in the world you can still get a tourist visa in 10 minutes and no overnight or longer wait to get it. Also when the METV first came out you could get that in 10 min as well. Believe me the paper work was hardly looked at I would just chit chat a little as my visas were hand written out.    Sooo I don’t think the requirements are really that hard to put together. Even London just wants to throw the papers in a pile and mail your METV out. 

2 hours ago, oznomad said:

I cant work out the METV.

Thai embassy in Canberra website says 6 months max.

VISA TYPE

New Fee

(Australian Dollar)

(per entry / transaction / request)

Transit

- Double entries / validity of 3 months

45 AUD

90 AUD

Tourist

- Multiple entries / validity of 6 months

55 AUD

275 AUD

Non-Immigrant

- Multiple entries / validity of 12 months

110 AUD

275 AUD

Diplomatic / Official / Courtesy

Gratis

Currently on OA. I like to travel and 60 days max would be fine.

Want to spend 6 months here each year for tax residency. Obviously doesnt have to be in one block.

Single. No Non- imm O fits me.

Renting condo on 12 mth lease, which I intend renewing.

Hot tips please.

Hmmm are you the OP??? 

My advise was to the OP. 

20 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

I use the 800k in the bank method and don't have a problem leaving it there. Are you saying i should time my stay so that i am in Thailand when my extension is due for renewal (mid September) ?

Yes I am suggesting that. 90 day reports are only required after you have been in Thailand for 90 days, once you leave, no requirement, and the 'clock is reset' the day you return to day 1. None required while you are in UK.

I have a pal from Oz did that, he actually spent most of his time in Oz. 

Edited by jacko45k

10 hours ago, VBF said:

What a palava , gives me a headache just reading the link . Getting to a stage when I may not bother any more and go elsewhere 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Hmmm are you the OP??? 

My advise was to the OP. 

A thousand pardons Alex.

I was blissfully unaware that anybody else, apart from the OP, reading a comment was ineligible to respond.

• Haha 1

Can we get this straight?

For example, I'm on a Non-O extension, decide to go to Europe, spend there 10 months, come back and renew the extension without any problems?

Isn't there a minimum period of time that the one has to spend in Thailand under a Non-O extension?

50 minutes ago, garrya said:

Isn't there a minimum period of time that the one has to spend in Thailand under a Non-O extension?

There is no minimum amount of time you need to be in the country. You only need to be here long enough to apply for your extension of stay.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no minimum amount of time you need to be in the country. You only need to be here long enough to apply for your extension of stay.

Thanks. This information puts things into a different perspective.