"Suvarnabhumi is hell" screams Thailand's most famous English teacher

webfact

Went through donmuang just few days ago . Packed. Have signs chinese right, all others left. Naturally Chinese all go left . Mind you signs in chinese so no excuse for stupidity but no one did a thing and only every second desk manned . 

• Like 1

I travel internationally on a monthly basis, been living and working in Thailand 31 years... etc, etc.    It was you that refuted the other poster's point about Thailand being like East Germany, I made some appropriate comparisons.    It has everything to do with crowded airports as the fingerprint and biometrics (part of the current clampdown on personal freedoms) are what i causing the long delays, and the fact that there are convicted criminals and sons of convicted murderers in this military government who are intent on collecting this information.  

But you just carry on, nothing to see here. 

Then you should know that almost EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD DOES THE EXACT SAME THING SOME ARE A LOT MORE STRICT THAN Thailand. And a lot of airports are a lot more crowded than others all over the world. You’re not the only one who has traveled all over the world so have I [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]    

But I understand everyone else is wrong except you

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If any of you come from Europe, I reckon just stay there: no border controls within it, no queues. And forget about coming to Thailand. Like that, you’ll help the environment by flying less, as well as the Thai Immigration officers by giving them less work. Simple. But if you must absolutely come to Thailand, why not use Vientiane to land and then catch a bus to .. wherever it is you are going. Afterall, you are on holiday, aren’t you ? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Hawkman said:

Well said. Heathrow is a nightmare, but not like this.

Surely they could improve things? For example, if they have to do EIGHT things, why not delegate it? Employ more people, two officers, let's say who work themselves up the queue and do the passport and visa check and interview. If anything not right, send them to another queue for further enquiry. That will leave the officers with about a ten second job and relieve the stress for the officers too.

Saigon too...but st least they have every available booth "manned". And last time I was there no biometric system

...between 12 and 2 pm ??? Only 8 booths manned!

He should know better than to arrive at that this time which is sacred to Thais! iiiiittttt's somtam time! Nothing can keep Thais from their somtam or noodle soup!

Edited by SunsetT
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Immigration officers have to do 8 things in 50 seconds," he said. These are passport check, visa check, face recognition, blacklist check, scan, interview, take a picture and stamp. 

I think there are 9 things to do: looking at your mobile and chatting with friends.

(8 things to do,.......but it's only ONE click on the PC...)

2 hours ago, rayjed2 said:

This is NOT just to enter the "land of smiles" this is even if you are in transit. I fly  to Cambodia and like using Thia Air. I am a frequent flyer, but I will now use Malaysia Airways as the last few flights I have been held up by these long queues. Twice I have nearly missed my connection! in fact there was a family who pleaded with the Immigration Officers to let them through as their flight was leaving in 15 minutes, but there was no "smiles" then, and they were made to wait. They were just a few people in front of me and it took me nearly 50 minutes before I got through, so draw your own conclusions on the fate of that family!

I have flown many routes over the years and passed through many airports as a transfer passenger and have never had to pass through another security check such as this. Why are people who are in transit subjected to this in Suvarnabhumi airport?

No wonder tourism is dying in Thailand, just coming through immigration is enough to put a person off.

By the way, it takes me about 30 minutes to enter Cambodia via Phnom Penh, that is with collecting my bag, buying a visa and passing through immigration, go figure!!

Tourism is dying..... When the number of people every year increases..... Yes of course... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But it's the front door to the country

Exactly,

those queuing people will not enter Thailand a second time probably (and hopefully). It should be a sting to Thai politicians if less tourist are coming. Maybe the day is not so far that they discover having made some mistakes....but wait...they would lose face.....so this day will never come...!☹️????????????????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I spent many years flying all over the place and while I have seen some bad queues in lots of places, Thailand has REALLY bad ones way more regularly than anywhere else I have ever seen.

You've obviously not been to CDG in Paris recently, then. In both of the last couple of years of my having to endure the indignities of that particular dump of an airport I have had to endure chaotic, disorganised and lengthy immigration queues which were far, far worse than anything I've ever experienced at BKK.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, but it's not as if those flights suddenly turned up as a surprise is it? They know what flights are coming in and when, and ought to be capable of providing sufficient immigration staff to deal with these rushes. I spent many years flying all over the place and while I have seen some bad queues in lots of places, Thailand has REALLY bad ones way more regularly than anywhere else I have ever seen.

so .. knowing busy .. 7 booths unmanned ... .. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Frankly i'm surprised at this Andrew guy who by all account should have known better, what response was he expecting from Thai people other than 'if you don't like it go back home' and 'you are biting the hands that fed you all those years you ungrateful farang'... now Once and for all, Thai people in general do not give a stuff how a foreigner/farang feel or being treated in this country and it's futile to complain or try to make a point of it...

You would have thought he was in the US at a Trump rally ...

They need automated immigration clearance kiosks just like the ones Thai Passport holders use. Thai Passport holders can use the ones at Sydney airport so why can't Australian Passport holders use the ones in Thailand? Special express lines for the Chinese? Next will be special express lines for those rich Indians that are coming soon?

• Like 1

Bottom line Suvarnabhumi airport has always been one of the top 10 most crowded airports I’ve ever seen in the world since I first started coming here 10 years ago. It has absolutely nothing to do with the issues with the current government situation. Now I’ve been retired here for over 5 years and each day is better than the last I love it here. It’s just another crowded airport in another major world city it’s not some mass government conspiracy almost every country in the world has similar procedures at the airport if not exactly the same procedures, although I do think Suvarnabhumi airport ought to build at least a few new terminals to accommodate the massive amounts of people who come here everyday.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1