bankbook check for 800,000 THB after 3 months

The new rule regarding the minimum of 800,000 THB on a thai bank account needed for an Extension of Stay based on retirement, left me with a question.

My yearly extension is due on January 4th every year.  According to the new rule, Immigration wants me to bring them the bank book in order to check if a minimum of 800,000 THB have been left in the account for a minimum of 3 months after receiving the Extension of Stay.

However, every year, I buy a re-entry permit and will fly back to my home country by mid-March.  I will not be in Thailand any more until July or September, and not three months after receiving the extension.

Can I visit immigration after my re-entry from abroad at a later date, with an updated bank book, to proove the 800,000 THB were still there and never went below 400,000 in the remaining months ? 

Does the bank book check have to be handled strictly after 3 months,  or can it been done any time before the next Extension becomes due ? I can’t find anything in the police order saying WHEN the check needs to be done

Edited by crazygreg44

47 minutes ago, scotinsiam said:

I was in Jomtien office this Friday to show that my 800k was still there exactly 90 days after issue - I needed the letter they gave me at the renewal of my extension, updated passbook & copy of first page and fund page and passport copies - visa/extension/face page/entry stamp/TM6.

It can be done after the 90 days if you are out of the country at the time it's due I was told by the officers.

I was in and out in under 2 minutes, 3 staff on desk number 8 and only me to deal with ???? I was not told to come back with proof again in another 90 days so I am happy with that.

That's the first time I have heard that I have to have the letter with me that specifies on what date I have to come back to do the 90 day bankbook check, so thanks for that heads up.  I will now try to find it before my own reporting day in 3 weeks time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

When I renewed my retirement extension a couple of months ago,

I was never told I must return to show them the 800,00 THB was still

in the bank, this was Chiang Mai, which immigration office do you use

and did they tell you to report back ?,if they never told you,dont do it.

regards worgeordie

Most offices do not seem to be applying this extra check.

3 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

Can I visit immigration after my re-entry from abroad at a later date, with an updated bank book, to proove the 800,000 THB were still there and never went below 400,000 in the remaining months ? 

That’s all you can do.

I recall one report from a member who asked the same question at Jomtien (I think) and they were told to show the updated book on return to the country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

which immigration office do you use

and did they tell you to report back ?,if they never told you,dont do it.

regards worgeordie

that was Immigration Sisaket last December 2018. The 3-month rule was not even  published, yet. However for the first time I ask told to register for TM30 when returning from abroad

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That's the first time I have heard that I have to have the letter with me that specifies on what date I have to come back to do the 90 day bankbook check, so thanks for that heads up.  I will now try to find it before my own reporting day in 3 weeks time. 

Yes staple it in the passport along with the regular 90 day report slip, the TM30 slip and all the old receipts!

OP, only 3 or 4 offices are asking people to return and demonstrate they still have the 800k 90 days after Extension is issued. First determine if it is even required before you worry. If they do, return as soon as you can after the date with proof the money was retained, and proof you were out of the country. 

Even if not asked, I would say comply with the 800k/3 months, 400k/ 7 months, back up to 800k, pre-seasoning for the next Extension. Next year, they may wish to confirm your compliance. 

Edited by jacko45k

Just now, phuketrichard said:

it seems form many posts, only Pattaya is requiring people return after 3 months to show their bank books.

could it be cause so many agents and expats living without enough money, are in Pattaya?

I would say that its more likely that Pattaya Immigration Officers are following the new rules, as we all now understand them.  On the whole, they seem like a straight bunch of IOs. Judging by the many post about other offices and officers, it certainly seems to be the Office with the least hassle, and less weird interpretations of the new rules,  in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, macahoom said:

What do you make of this?

I live in Phuket. I hold passports from two different countries.

In the last 6 months or so I have stayed in 3 fairly expensive hotels in Thailand and, in each, I have presented reception with my passport that has not a single stamp in it - I have never used it when travelling.

In each case, the receptionist did not say a word; just checked me in with no problems.

12 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

I was in Jomtien office this Friday to show that my 800k was still there exactly 90 days after issue - I needed the letter they gave me at the renewal of my extension, updated passbook & copy of first page and fund page and passport copies - visa/extension/face page/entry stamp/TM6.

It can be done after the 90 days if you are out of the country at the time it's due I was told by the officers.

I was in and out in under 2 minutes, 3 staff on desk number 8 and only me to deal with ???? I was not told to come back with proof again in another 90 days so I am happy with that.

Accurate and correct. Did it 1 week early last week. Not a problem. MS>

I am new, and this is a first posting of a question pertaining to an initial application for a Retirement Visa.

The specific question:  "Can a first time applicant submit evidence of monthly / yearly income derived from two (2) foreign government's pensions which demonstrates the applicant receives more than 154,000 Baht per month, and have it accepted by authorities in lieu of actually having 800,000 Baht sitting within a Thai bank at the time of application (and the few months prior per requirements)?"

It seems that a foreign applicant for this type of visa, who receives annual income of at least 1,800,000 Baht, clearly demonstrates that s/he is financially able to meet obligations, etc.  Thank you for any useful specific information pertaining to this issue.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But there is no requirement in the rules to prove the money is still in the bank for 3 months or further checks that the 400k baht is in the bank. Some offices are telling people it will be checked when they apply for their next extension.

In reality if a person failed to do the check after 90 days they are requiring and their bank book showed the 800k/400k baht had stayed in the bank there is no punishment that could be imposed for not doing it.

Although that is of course true, Pattaya have specifically issued us with a letter stating when the bankbook must be presented for the 90 day verification after granting of the extension.  It would be a brave person who disregarded that and then went back to do their new extension, to be told they had not complied with the IO instructions contained within that letter.  As this is the first year of this new requirement, I would suggest that not reporting may turn out to be a risky move. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Redoubt said:

The specific question:  "Can a first time applicant submit evidence of monthly / yearly income derived from two (2) foreign government's pensions which demonstrates the applicant receives more than 154,000 Baht per month,

If it was transferred into a Thai bank account every month from abroad it would be accepted. You have to show proof that it was done by a international transfer.

The minimum amount is 65k baht every month. If only one of your pensions were equal to or greater than that amount you would only need to prove that one as coming in.

13 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

Thailand immigration must use in paper the equivalent of one rain forest . Where the hell do they store all this bloody paperwork it’s pointless having computers it appears they will never change their ways . ☹️☹️ 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Redoubt said:

I am new, and this is a first posting of a question pertaining to an initial application for a Retirement Visa.

The specific question:  "Can a first time applicant submit evidence of monthly / yearly income derived from two (2) foreign government's pensions which demonstrates the applicant receives more than 154,000 Baht per month, and have it accepted by authorities in lieu of actually having 800,000 Baht sitting within a Thai bank at the time of application (and the few months prior per requirements)?"

It seems that a foreign applicant for this type of visa, who receives annual income of at least 1,800,000 Baht, clearly demonstrates that s/he is financially able to meet obligations, etc.  Thank you for any useful specific information pertaining to this issue.

I would have thought that having 1.8 million a year pension would not hurt that person to have 800,000 in a Thai bank I show immigration what I have to show and not a single baht more as I was once asked if I would like to make a donation towards the new  immigration office that was being constructed .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

Most offices do not seem to be applying this extra check.

Most will check when you renew visa.. If monies are not correct you will be refused another extension. You will have to leave the country and start again..

Edited by Chicken George
Typo
  • Like 1

OP, this is what I mentioned on a related thread in June;

'...After handing my bank books to the IMO, fully expecting another form to sign, but he just said 'You have a problem?' After explaining I was there to comply with the new 800K ruling he shook his head and said 'No, we check at the next extension.' and then drew a diagram on a piece of paper [this year being the first, just 800k seasoning]-----{next year check for 800K 3 for month after last extension + 800K seasoning}my words from IMO's drawing. So from now on when applying for extension I will have to comply with two financial constraints and not one, as will others using this method.'

This was at Udorn immigration office. So there is no need to go back after 3 months because if at the next extension application the 3 month rule and/or the 'seasoning' rule has been violated the extension of stay (presumably) will be denied.