Non Imm O-A : proposed address & reference person

I was looking at the application for a retirement visa on the Australian Embassy (Canberra ) website , there is an additional form to complete with further information that must be answered. 

1. Proposed address in Thailand : how do I fill this in when I don’t know where I am going to be living exactly, ie stay in a hotel until I find a place to stay ?

2. Reference person in Thailand (their details including phone number) again what if I do t know anyone I Thailand yet ? 

1 hour ago, darrenr said:

Many thanks for the info 

sort of defeats the purpose in them asking these questions?

Yes your correct. Especially given that O-A is often used for travelling around Thailand (not always). Its multiple entry visa. Lamyai3 is correct. Just put your first planned address (hotel or other). The second part is even more stupid. I'm thinking you could leave that blank or follow advice above. Many visas refer to sponsor (eg TV to Vietnam) and that is left blank.

I have done one O-A to Canberra, they are good and actually answer phone. You can call them and they do answer, just in case you have questions.

When I applied for my Non-Imm O-A visa in Oz, I looked at the requirements for applying through Canberra and Sydney.. 

Canberra required additional steps such as notorised copies of documentation, whereas Sydney was more streamlined and appeared an easier process.. 

I too had queries, and couldn't get Sydney or Canberra answering my calls or replying to my email inquiries.. This was 2 years ago.. 

Approval from Sydney, 3-5 days, very efficient.. Address can be your first hotel booked into.. Reference details of a Thai, leave blank or N/A.. 

Suggest using the Sydney Consulate if possible. JP required as countersignature at Sydney, rather than a lawyer notary/apostille (Canberra). They (Sydney Consulate) answer the phone and questions. Applying for Fed Police clearance: use the email reply option rather than having it sent by Australia Post, which took nearly three weeks. Info accurate at April 2019.

5 minutes ago, BaiLao said:

Suggest using the Sydney Consulate if possible. JP required as countersignature at Sydney, rather than a lawyer notary/apostille (Canberra). They (Sydney Consulate) answer the phone and questions. Applying for Fed Police clearance: use the email reply option rather than having it sent by Australia Post, which took nearly three weeks. Info accurate at April 2019.

My O-A several years back was rejected at Canberra. 

Reason was I had docs signed by JP (which is accepted at Sydney). To be fair they returned my application fee and said they would do it quickly if I had signed by notary and returned.