Back you go! Thirteen foreigners with no money denied entry to Thailand

webfact

• You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show that you will be exiting Thailand within 15 days of entry you will be most likely refused entry.

• It will also be necessary to prove that you have funds of at least 10,000 THB per person and 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-on-arrival.php

7 hours ago, Xaos said:

10k is required for no visas entry and 20k for a families. Nothing new here

One question. How does the " tourist" know this. When did boarding stage of their country did the airline check they met these requirements? Normally they may ask for your passport to check you have a visa.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, legend49 said:

One question. How does the " tourist" know this. When did boarding stage of their country did the airline check they met these requirements? Normally they may ask for your passport to check you have a visa.

There is thing called the internet, the immigration site gives you information. 

In 45 years of travelling to several dozen countries I have never been asked to do that, apart from in the US as I mentioned where they did ask me and were entirely satisfied with my USD100 cash and three cards.

Yes, Ive never been asked either, so I doubt this is much of an issue.

36 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Credit cards are so 20th Century. Now it's all smart pay in my neck of the woods. I think I've had the same notes in my wallet for six or seven months.

In my lifetime I can't see Thailand coming up with a solution for that so cash/money it is.

I haven't carried any cash at home for about a year since I got rid of my stash of cash,it's a debit card in shops most online is done directly by a code only use CC for flights and hotels.I have cash now because I am in the UK but I still use my CC if I can.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The carrying cash requirement is straight out of the dark ages. Thailand really needs to wake up.

I spent three entire months in the US and Europe armed with just three credit cards and the equivalent of 100USD in cash. At the end of the trips I still had 80USD cash left, as all my expenditure had been done with cards. That included hotels, car rentals, fuel, all meals ......

Totally agree. I carry very little cash with me in the UK paying for nearly everything with a credit card. Ive been wintering in Thailand for 13 years now and have never entered with more than 2k thb, and often much less (unless doing a land border run). My 1st night's hotel is pre-booked so I usually dont bother going to an ATM until the next day. I wonder if stopped by the airport neanderthals, whether they would accept a Kbank statement print out, + card + book (with out of date balance) when entering rather than having to exchange 20k in the UK at an even s h i t t i e r Brexit rate than we can get now from our money already transferred to Thailand.

They dont appreciate that a main reason for using credit cards which was widely promoted when introduced was to make people, especially tourists, less vulnerable to mugging for the cash they might be carrying.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

I think no money is enough of a reason like in most countries. No true justification ?????

As several contributors have said, these days people use credit cards for all but the most minor of expenses. Some even use an app on their phone for those too, like buying a coffee. Been that way for about 30 years or more. About time that Thailand joined the real world. I could roll up with a Platinum American Express and Visa cards and a couple of thousand baht in my pocket and be denied entry. Madness, and nothing to do with having 'sufficient funds'.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, Jen65 said:

Is this also being applied to Chinese visitors !!!  or are they on some special exemption !!

Yes, the Chinese are told on check in that they must be carrying 3000CNY in cash for VOA.

Nice try though.

42 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
  • You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show that you will be exiting Thailand within 15 days of entry you will be most likely refused entry.

• It will also be necessary to prove that you have funds of at least 10,000 THB per person and 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.

A flight that could be cancelled, and no mention of having funds available on plastic. What planet do these officials live on? Certainly not the one I know.

50 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Be aware that the website in your comment is not an official website (as is actually noted at the bottom of the page) but is from a commercial source (legal company). So the contents should be viewed in that light.

8 hours ago, userabcd said:

If they were genuine tourists then, as a minimum, they would have before their departure from their home country purchased a travel insurance for the duration of their stay. Not very expensive.

Depends how old you are!

7 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Be aware that the website in your comment is not an official website (as is actually noted at the bottom of the page) but is from a commercial source (legal company). So the contents should be viewed in that light.

True, but the same requirements are listed from the Thai Embassy site in Australia

was replying to a comment about how do a tourist know the requirements 

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Too bloody right if you haven’t got the common sense to have tourist insurance go home! Dumb <deleted>!

If you don’t have funds to take complete care of yourself then don’t travel!!

to anyone on this forum who uses this story as a platform to trash Thailand and Thai law you can go back to your country of origin too.

The story should be how Thailand immigration should behave according to the same standards that let Thai people visit foreign countries without these rules and regulations that very from one IO to the next.

Standing in an immigration queue in excess of 4500 people is just sheer ignorance and yes, you can specifically relate this to Thai incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mate is visiting next month, first time here and a legit tourist, should I mention to carry 20k to be on the safe side or do you think these people are repeat "tourists"? ..

Edited by Greyhat

2 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

My mate is visiting next month, first time here and a legit tourist, should I mention to carry 20k to be on the safe side or do you think these people are repeat "tourists"? ..

Obey the requirements, return ticket, money, confirmation of first night accommodation 

Get him to check the requirements at his local embassy/consulate/internet

• Thanks 1

Funny how many people don't get this. They weren't denied because they didn't have money. They were denied because the immigration officer decided they weren't tourists - likely for the sole reason that they had many previous entries. Some of them likely had cash on them but were denied anyway.

This isn't about poor people - plenty of backpackers and begpackers make it in anyway as they're not asked questions on a first entry - this is about immigration singling out and denying long-stayers under the excuse of "no means to support oneself" despite it not being true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

You only need 10k on a visa exempt entry. If he's getting a tourist visa then need 20k. Either way very unlikely that he will be asked to show the cash on a first entry, but always better safe than sorry.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

he story should be how Thailand immigration should behave according to the same standards that let Thai people visit foreign countries without these rules and regulations that very from one IO to the nex

Good luck getting your GF a visa to oz or UK or US or anywhere outside of asia unless they pass strict visa requirements which most wont

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

I've travel to Thailand frequently, dozens of times over the past 5 years. Haven't had a visa yet!

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

I've travel to Thailand frequently, dozens of times over the past 5 years. Haven't had a visa yet!

From a visa on arrival or visa exempt country

Visa exempt requires one to adhere to entry requirements . Money/return tickets/proof of accommodation

16 minutes ago, madmen said:

Good luck getting your GF a visa to oz or UK or US or anywhere outside of asia unless they pass strict visa requirements which most wont

Trouble is many people meet the thai requirements, get awarded a visa only to be refused by IO.