Unemployed - is Thailand an option?

I'm a Brit living in the UK, having visited Thailand every year for the past 20 years (usually 2/3 times per year). I've thought for a long time I'll probably move to Thailand when I retire. 

But at the age of 49 I was made redundant in Oct last year, and have spent the last 8/9 months trying to get job and also trying to start up my own business. All the time seeing my redundancy pay and savings slowly being eaten away. 

I just turned 50 and I'm reaching a kind of 'do or die' point in my life. I can't get a job, I'm not succeeding at starting a business, and I have about 6 months of money left at the current burn rate. If I sell my house I'll have ~GBP275k after paying off the mortgage. I could then rent a place in the UK, buy an apartment in Spain which I can get some income from while eeking out the rest of my cash until I can start dipping into several private pensions at age 55. 

Or, I could look at making the move to Thailand sooner than planned. I like spending time in Samui, Phuket, Krabi, and also getting close to nature, jungle stays, fishing etc., but I'm not sure I could live in a jungle type area. I do like nightlife and (Thai) women, but I'm not a big fan of Patts (I don't knock anyone who is). 

I could possibly base myself in Bkk and go to those other places as and when. In Bkk I might even find work - I was in financial services for 30 years. 

I suppose my questions are, if I take the plunge, sell my house and get GBP275k, could I make a decent life in LOS, what would be the best option in terms of accommodation (buy condo, rent etc.), and could I stretch those funds out for another 5 years until I can dip into pensions? 

Cheers

Edited by Blue Mango

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Rent your UK house out to generate an income.  Spain is not realistic until Brexit has been resolved nor is selling your house now a good idea. Do not burn your bridges.  Hang on to your UK property. 

Curious as to how you see house prices going after Brexit.

10 hours ago, Blue Mango said:

I suppose my questions are, if I take the plunge, sell my house and get GBP275k, could I make a decent life in LOS, what would be the best option in terms of accommodation (buy condo, rent etc.), and could I stretch those funds out for another 5 years until I can dip into pensions? 

As others have said, don't sell your UK Property, rent it out and get some income from it.

Don't buy in Thailand.   Rent even in Bangkok can be very reasonable, especially if you are realistic about the type of place you need at your still relatively young age.   

I have lived in Bangkok for over 10 years and based on what you've said I'd say go for it.   Hopefully your background in Financial Services means you are smart with your money and not going to turn one of those guys who spends all their time and money on beer and hookers.

• Like 1

you were in financial services and you come to Thai visa for life and  financial advice? 

make your pros and cons list... if you dont know specific costs maybe ask that

but seriously... make your own choices... life is more fulfilling that way. 

I agree as well, rent out your house for a while and see how things are going, and where in Thailand you feel the most comfortable. Could be, you don't like to stay in Bangkok after a while anyway, and still prefer the jungle / beach area. ( well, I do... ) 

In 2001 when I came to Thailand I rented out my place as well, only many years later when I was sure of making ends meet here in Thailand, I sold up. Now happy with the house I have been building, but glad I waited a long time to make this decision …  

• Like 1

Well as you say you have been in financial services for thirty years and you are now 50 that means since around 20 years old you should by now have adequate experience in financial planning without asking the question on this forum surely ?

Putting that to one side my only suggestion to you would be to not listen or take the slightest bit of advice from any members who post about property investment in Thailand. Rent by all means as others have said but at realistic rents, not the Farang rent. Investing on the Thai stock exchange would bring you a return of around 4.9% pa on current 10 year performance of a spread of major companies so that may be worth some consideration.

• Like 2

I agree with all the posters who have suggested renting your house. I was able to move to Bangkok at the age of 43 on the back of rental income from property in London. Selling now would be a mistake as prices in the Uk are quite flat with the Brexit uncertainty, and you already know how bad the exchnage rate is.

• Like 2

i dont know the rental property situation in the uk...but as several have suggested--'dont burn your bridges'.

it would certainly be unwise to bring large money into thailand at present{very low exchange rates]

is the job situation realy that bad ??? at 50yrs old you have to cater for your next 35yrs or so...

i cant think of much worse , than being broke, in your later stages of life...

im sure the return on a rental house are very small ?? there are always many problems with tenants, especially if you are absent.

is there any other property types or syndicates that you can invest in...??? i get 8% return on commercial prop syndicate, plus cap gains...

i dont know your pension situation in uk ?? but if you leave early, will that jepardise your pension???

if not-- you still probably have 15yrs to wait-thats along time..

sure-- you can live much more cheaply in thailand, but there are many temptations to spend money on...

if you were you ---i would be much 'more actively' looking for ANY type of work ,to get you through next few years until your pension...

to some people 10m thb sounds like a lot---i dont think it is , if its not generating a good income for the next 30 +yrs...

if you were to live on that alone, it will erode fairly quickly.

at 50yrs old-- and paying rent in thailand---i would say --any budget under 30,000thb/mth will give you a very very very boring life...

think carefully-before you jump---good luck---at least you have quite a bit more than many of the 'deadbeats' that move here...they always have excuses why they have no nest egg for retirement...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Rent your UK house out to generate an income.  Spain is not realistic until Brexit has been resolved nor is selling your house now a good idea. Do not burn your bridges.  Hang on to your UK property. 

If you are a new landlord I really would not recommend this. Once you leave you are not going to want to get the phone calls and you will probably have times when you have to get on a plane and return to deal with rental matters.

Just sell it while it is in good condition and invest the money. Enjoy your early retirement!

• Like 2

OP think about what’s been mentioned and then come out rent a 

place for 2-3 months at a price and area you’d choose if here full time. See how it works for you and make a decision based on your 

real experience. Track your expenditures and see if that’s workable.

All the best to you... Enjoy life 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Renting out the house means he will still have to pay the mortgage leaving not much of a balance amount to lead a reasonable life in Thailand.... 

Oops.. op’s self explaination in post #21 verify that. 

Edited by Ctkong
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Blue Mango said:

I just turned 50 and I'm reaching a kind of 'do or die' point in my life. I can't get a job, I'm not succeeding at starting a business, and I have about 6 months of money left at the current burn rate.

So unfortunate but typical what I am hearing from Brits.

Many seem to have no future and no life.

Sad indeed, hope you can turn it around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep the majority of your Pounds in the UK in a fixed term deposit until the Pound exchange rate hopefully rebounds. No need to exchange it all at the low exchange rates at present. Or keep the bricks and mortar and trust that rent and property price increases exceed the interest on your mortgage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

Curious as to how you see house prices going after Brexit.

If Brexit occurs.  But basically the UK population is growing and house building is not growing sufficiently to meet the need  to meet demand and there are regional issues . I also remember the negative equity trap of 2003. I am just not sure, in these times of uncertainty,  that it is a good time to sell, especially in the OPs circumstances. 

53 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So unfortunate but typical what I am hearing from Brits.

Many seem to have no future and no life.

Sad indeed, hope you can turn it around.

58 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Renting out the house means he will still have to pay the mortgage leaving not much of a balance amount to lead a reasonable life in Thailand.... 

Oops.. op’s self explaination in post #21 verify that. 

But he will have a place to live, a legal abode, and the property is likely to increase in value. If, after one or two years in Thailand, he can go ahead and sell. At his age he has no right to a retirement extension until 5 years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

If you are a new landlord I really would not recommend this. Once you leave you are not going to want to get the phone calls and you will probably have times when you have to get on a plane and return to deal with rental matters.

Just sell it while it is in good condition and invest the money. Enjoy your early retirement!

An agency will source tenants  deal with maintenance and any other problems for 12%.

• Like 1