Self respect Appearance

31 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I'm 51.  6'1"  69 kgs (I was 82 kgs but switched to Intermittent fasting to lose weight).  Being slim and not having a fat gut is extremely important to me.  I would be too ashamed to go out if I looked like a fat slob. 

I check my nose hairs, eyebrows and ear hair every day. I don't shave every day but I never go more than a couple of days as I don't like to look scruffy.  I keep my hair cut very short although to be fair I've not got a full head of hair anymore either.  

I always try to dress smart and that means always wearing nice shoes like these that I bought recently and are the type of thing I wear on a daily basis. 

IMG_20190614_195131_344.thumb.jpg.53d63c798adb0ea6394c20b18850829d.jpg

If you go to the trouble of decent shoes, how about some decent slacks.????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/4/2019 at 6:10 AM, georgegeorgia said:

One thing that clicked me into changing myself was a friend who told me I look like a slob the way I dressed and presented myself

Did you not notice it before your friend pointed if out..(just asking)?

On 8/4/2019 at 11:16 AM, CharlieH said:

I would say that in many (most?) cases the couple often reflect each other, in that if he is ",grubby" she isn't that good either, if she is well turned out you can bet he will be too ! 

Often married couples reflect each other's standards or it's unlikely they would be together (unless there are other incentives).

My wife is not high-so, but if we are going to local market or nearby Tesco or reg mall then I can get away with shorts and T-shrit . If we are going to hi-so mall or Gov Office (immigration/land office) where they call her "Madame" I need  Polo Shirt, Giordano ect and probably slacks/jeans NO flip flops or sandels or she will say your not going with me. I shower twice a day ,more if nescessary. Always shave in morning (except when I had a trim beard and mustach) Always wear deoderant/anti-perspirant and after shave (cologne if going out on evening date. Never had a pedicure in US but so cheap and easy here I have it done along with nose/ear hair.

I never felt comfortable going out in public looking scruffy, dirty, smelly looking like a homless person/bum who does. I was never obese but got fat which almost killed me (heart attck) so workout eat better now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

My wife is not high-so, but if we are going to local market or nearby Tesco or reg mall then I can get away with shorts and T-shrit . If we are going to hi-so mall or Gov Office (immigration/land office) where they call her "Madame" I need  Polo Shirt, Giordano ect and probably slacks/jeans NO flip flops or sandels or she will say your not going with me. I shower twice a day ,more if nescessary. Always shave in morning (except when I had a trim beard and mustach) Always wear deoderant/anti-perspirant and after shave (cologne if going out on evening date. Never had a pedicure in US but so cheap and easy here I have it done along with nose/ear hair.

I never felt comfortable going out in public looking scruffy, dirty, smelly looking like a homless person/bum who does. I was never obese but got fat which almost killed me (heart attck) so workout eat better now.

What do you do in a hi.so mall?

25 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

And, you think it's a compliment to have folks calling wife "Madame".????

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

And, you think it's a compliment to have folks calling wife "Madame".????

In France, where this word comes from , it's a normal and polite word ( same as "mrs " ); maybe connected to sex in Pattaya, but I suppose that in immigration office it has a polite meaning , we can feel it as showing respect to a lady 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

You fall down again sipi ? Those nice men holding you up ? ????

Coincidentally I was probably the only sober one in the village that day and my BIL's decided to do a mock up photo.

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

OP where do you get Brut 33?

I have seen missives such as the man who said at home he always wears suits so he would in Pattaya. Anything less would be disgusting. And the man who hated flip flops. Where I come from even rich people wear shorts and flip flops to nice restaurants.

Different strokes for different blokes. At minimum, cleanliness is a good start.

BTW I personally don't like terms like mansexual, manbuns, etc. Label it and put it in a slot. I think labels like that trivialize things IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Im pretty sure i saw the green bottle Brut 33 for sale in Pattaya in one of the pharmacies, i prefer the red bottle Old Spice though

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aforek said:

In France, where this word comes from , it's a normal and polite word ( same as "mrs " ); maybe connected to sex in Pattaya, but I suppose that in immigration office it has a polite meaning , we can feel it as showing respect to a lady 

I like to call the ladies who dress over the top as "super Madam" or super ouu la la. My lady has been called the same but only by her close friends as a joke.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sipi said:

In the city where I am a stranger.

Button up collared shirt, jeans or trousers, lace up shoes.

In the village where everyone knows me. Flip flops, tee, cargo pants and my wife's hat.

FB_IMG_15650056348813456.jpg

You actually look fit , no overhanging gut , clean t shirt, clean shaven, 

though the tatt on the leg looks a bit off putting

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2019 at 1:41 AM, Crossy said:

To address our OP.

60 year old Brit.

Shower twice a day, every day. EDIT - I should have written "Shower at least twice a day" ????

Shave (face only) weekdays, lazy at weekends.

Teeth, mouthwash twice a day.

At the risk of being accused of smelling like a teenager, I use Axe.

No mosituriser.

I'm definitely not a clothes-horse and I do tend to get maximum life out of clothing.

At work it's smart casual, chinos, short-sleeve collared shirt (no tie) or company/project polo (with hi-viz, site boots and hard hat).

At home, shorts (madam makes them from too-bad-for-work chinos), T or polo (clean every day).

Certainly overweight, not obese according to the doc. Beer belly, yup, serious exercise, nope. Do I really care, no not really.

I would not be seen dead wearing a wife-beater (no shirt, no problem at home).

I look like this (with Wifey) ????

20768034_1970228319860148_1005160852640019942_n.jpg

The teapot is very clean!!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You actually look fit , no overhanging gut , clean t shirt, clean shaven, 

though the tatt on the leg looks a bit off putting

Thanks, That's me at my worst. 

Yeah the tatt is a souvineer from the African early eighties. We all make mistakes. I keep it covered.

49 minutes ago, sipi said:

In the city where I am a stranger.

Button up collared shirt, jeans or trousers, lace up shoes.

In the village where everyone knows me. Flip flops, tee, cargo pants and my wife's hat.

FB_IMG_15650056348813456.jpg

Sipi done gone hippie.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you weight too much, you're eating too much and/or not exercising enough.

The drugs may make you lazier, or hungrier but the same "food in energy out" laws of physics always apply.

Newsflash

6' and 95Kg is already massively overweight.

I'm 6' and 78Kg, that's me 3Kg overweight, I really don't want to cycle 25Km every morning, but if I don't want to get bigger I have to.

No,  the moment I go off antipychotics I lose 8-10kg in 4 to 6 months. I have been off my drugs for six months at a time due to weight concerns but without them, I go super crazy.  I don't do anything different than swim 1.5km daily and walk a hour and I eat like a mouse on a fasting regiment. Due to other medical complaints now, I can no longer run. I am hoping after DNA testing I had done recently, they can point me to different drugs that are weight neutral. Gaining weight is the biggest problems with everyone on antipychotics. Average weight gain is 4-12KG. They screw with your metabolism something terrible. Like all my friends tell me,  I am not fat, I just look bloated from the drugs. I have never been small (average 82kg) and was a front-rower for a football team for a long time. I could most likely swim 3km a day but it only keeps me cardiovascularly fit and does nothing for the weight. I am concerned about my weight, my doctor is as well but I am between the devil and the deep blue sea.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5574691/

• Like 1

The drugs may make you lazier, or hungrier but the same "food in energy out" laws of physics always apply.

[/quopte]

This...

How can your drugs break the basic scientific laws concerning the conversion of food into energy and the burning of energy through exercise?

Where does your extra weight come from? It can only come from food that you digest which is broken down by your digestive system and converted into energy - that energy is either used immediately by your body or is stored as excess fat if your energy burn is less than your food intake energy.

I can well believe that you could become bloated on some medications, but bloating doesn't need to add weight to your body.  Or you could be bloated with excess water which would add weight.

Either way, as a scientist, I'm having a hard time to understand the physics that's going on with your body.

BTW, my ex-wife #2 was/is severally bipolar (caused our marriage/family/business breakdown).  She was taking strong pyschotic drugs.  Her typical weight was about 35 KGs (4 feet, nine inches 'short', very small body size).  Her weight never went up or down.

• Like 1

Just now, AverageBloke said:

I worked in mental health for many years. Different meds different side effects. I've seen incredible weight gain for clients who take Seroquel or Mitazopine.

But where does the weight come from?  Laws of Physics.......  If you take some heavy meds and it screws up your metabolism, then your weight can change of course ==> go up or go down.  If your metabolism changes so that your weight increases, reduce your food intake or burn off excess calories through exercise.  Don't just ignore things and continue to eat or exercise the same amount as before!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

1 minute ago, AverageBloke said:

I worked in mental health for many years. Different meds different side effects. I've seen incredible weight gain for clients who take Seroquel or Mitazopine.

I take Seroquel.

I exercise, I don't eat much but for thousands of us on these types of drugs, it is a major problem. I look like I am full of water. Soon as I go off the seizure drugs and antipychotics, the weight falls off me. I cannot explain it. It is as simple as that. My main Pdoc in Australia told me when I first started these drugs 30 years ago, I was going to gain weight. When I first started Eplium, I gained 5kg in one week.  Seroquel was much worse. 

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I read what you say, but I say again that you cannot defy the laws of Physics about 'energy' consumed and energy used (to maintain your living body or burnt through exercise).

Look at this web-page from a respected university about weight gain on medications:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=56&contentid=DM300

There's nothing on that web-page about excess weight being conjured up from 'nothing'.  Either you are taking in too much energy derived from your food, or you are not burning up excess energy through exercise that your body doesn't need, maybe because the meds have altered your metabolism.

Anyway, let's leave it at that because this discussion really belongs in the Health sub-forum ????

Yes,  needs to be on the health forum. I will agree my body is most likely as you say, not burning enough because of altered metabolism and I need a lot more exercise. Putting it simply, my body has collapsed from illness and other medical problems . The only exercise I can do is swim easily. I agree with everything you said. Just it seems though these medications alter something and it is never the same again until you stop them. Thanks for your input. The only thing I can do is add more kilometers in the water, but I have never lost weight swimming. 

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Look at this web-page from a respected university about weight gain on medications:

Same for me, blood pressure reducing meds made me gain 5Kg in a month (from 75kg to 80kg).

I just try to exercise twice as much, lost 2Kg, now the monsoon is limiting my cycling and hiking.

@TTU

Swimming doesn't help me lose weight either.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, Aforek said:

Sounds like "black dog" in Thai.

• Haha 1