Teenager arrested after boy thrown off viewing platform at London's Tate Modern

webfact

Teenager arrested after boy thrown off viewing platform at London's Tate Modern

2019-08-04T174336Z_1_LYNXNPEF730OR_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-CRIME-TATE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The view from a new viewing platform during the unveiling of the New Tate Modern in London, Britain, June 14, 2016. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - A teenager has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after reports that a young boy had been thrown from a 10th floor viewing platform at the Tate Modern art gallery in central London, the police said on Sunday.

The Metropolitan police said in a statement that the boy, whose condition was described as critical, was treated at the scene and taken to hospital by London's Air Ambulance.

"A 17-year-old male had remained with members of the public on the tenth floor viewing platform," the police said.

"There is nothing to suggest that he is known to the victim. The teenager was arrested by police officers on suspicion of attempted murder and taken into police custody."

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-05

7 hours ago, BwindiBoy said:

Shocking. Probably did it "to see what it felt like" - lock him away for 50 years.

Yes. I agree about the 50-years part.

BUT, how are laws in the UK about such cases ? Is it likely that he will get a much much lighter sentence due to him being under 18 ?! Or, is it possible for him to be tried as an adult ?! Anyone has clear knowledge on this ?

6 hours ago, JemJem said:

BUT, how are laws in the UK about such cases ? Is it likely that he will get a much much lighter sentence due to him being under 18 ?! Or, is it possible for him to be tried as an adult ?! Anyone has clear knowledge on this ?

I am thinking of two charges...

• Grievous Bodily Harm, With Intent
  • Attempted Murder

Both Carry a Maximum of Life Imprisonment.

Depends on the circumstances of the case, if the judge sees fit to impose a life sentence he will set the Tariff, (minimum years) that is the number of years before the assailant is able to be assessed for release under licence. 

Another option could be to lock him up in a mental institute.

8 hours ago, JemJem said:

As this crime took place in London he will be tried under English law.

Which means he will be tried as a young offender because he is under the age of 21.

As he is over the age of 10, he will, if found guilty, receive the same sentence as if he were an adult. He will serve this in a young offenders institute until he is 22, when, unless he has completed his sentence or is released on parole, he will be transferred to an adult prison.

If his victim had died and so he be charged with murder, then if found guilty he would be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure. This is an indefinite sentence, with a minimum term set by the Lord Chief Justice.

Pure conjecture on my part, but I suspect his defence will plead diminished responsibility due to mental health issues. If the Crown Prosecution Service accepts this and so there is no trial or if it does go to trial and the court finds him not guilty on these grounds then he will be sent to a secure mental hospital until such time as the Home Secretary, obviously on the advice of medical professionals, considers he is no longer a threat to public safety.

Edited by 7by7
Remove incorrect info.
  • Like 1

He has been charged with "Attempted Murder"...

A teenager has been charged with attempted murder after a six-year-old boy was allegedly thrown from the 10th floor of the Tate Modern art gallery.

The child, who was found on a fifth-floor roof after he fell from the Tate's viewing platform on Sunday, is in a critical but stable condition.

He is a French national visiting London with his family.

A 17-year-old boy is due to appear at Bromley Youth Court on Tuesday, the Metropolitan Police said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49245646

Reading the reports about this incident I hope they will use scientific age checks to determine the real age of the attempted murderer. Reports that he is “tall and bearded” set alarm bells ringing. Predictable ones at that.

“The suspect was described by witnesses today as being tall and bearded.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/tate-modern-incident-police-say-child-who-was-thrown-from-tenthfloor-viewing-platform-is-sixyearold-a4206041.html

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, transam said:
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:25 AM, AnnaBanana said:

Maybe you're too young to remember Jack the Ripper.

Who was Polish....????

Or English, or Russian, or American, or a member of the Royal family, etc., etc., etc. depending on which theory one subscribes to.

6 hours ago, transam said:

The DNA one...

If one believes the theory of one man based upon a shawl which may or may not have been found beside the body of one victim.

None of which is relevant to this tragic event.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Reading the reports about this incident I hope they will use scientific age checks to determine the real age of the attempted murderer. Reports that he is “tall and bearded” set alarm bells ringing. Predictable ones at that.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/tate-modern-incident-police-say-child-who-was-thrown-from-tenthfloor-viewing-platform-is-sixyearold-a4206041.html

As the youth has been charged with attempted murder and remanded in custody by Bromley Youth Court to appear at the Old Bailey on Thursday he must have been identified and his details, including his age, confirmed.

As is the norm when the accused is a juvenile, he has not been identified; but the police have stated he is British. More evidence that they have confirmed his details, including his age.

That he appeared tall and bearded means nothing. Many 17 year old youths are tall and have beards, regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation or anything else your mind can conjure up to set off your imagined alarm bells.

Just one of many examples of a 17 year old with a beard, this one from a post on reddit.

Post image

As for the victim...

A six-year-old boy who fell from the 10th floor of the Tate Modern fractured his spine, a court has heard.

The French national, who was visiting London with his family, was found on a fifth-floor roof after he fell from the gallery's viewing platform on Sunday.

Prosecutors told Bromley Youth Court he also suffered a "deep" bleed to the brain and leg and arm fractures.

I assume probably the spine injury infers spinal cord damage, I hope not but given the circumstances it is likely.  

19 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

You are making inferences. for what purpose other than attempting generalised vilification? By now you should comprehend such activity is less than helpful for society, why not try some maturity and stop your nonsense.

Edited by simple1