Doing my first TM-30

Yes, have never filed one before, but should get ahead of the game. Man, sure is a convoluted mess to deal with, and before I get knee-deep in it, wonder if anyone has some guidance. I'm going to be submitting to CW. And the landlord is rather lukewarm about this, does not seem to have much patience. I hope to get cooperation, which would at the very least include copy of landlord's ID card and a copy of whatever is related to the condo room I am renting, correct? Blue book? Is this a booklet, or a document?

I don't have a rental contract, I just pay the rent every month. I guess I would have to get the landlord to write up a rental agreement?

I'm interested in trying to complete the online registration, or doing by mobile app.

I plan to travel domestically, stay in hotels, and as such TM-30s will be filed by the hotels. When I return to Bkk, it would be most convenient to just file, update, TM-30 online, right?

So online, or via the app, seems the way to go. And using the mobile app, attempting to register.

I am renting, can I register as the possesor?

Housing ID number? I imagine the landlord has that.

And then attach documents? My pages (PP front, visa, arrival card). And the landlord docs? (ID, blue book, and any others?) 

OK, anyway, I will attempt this.

Update, and maybe a screw-up in the offing.

I registered as the possessor, and attached just my docs. Photos of the PP details, extension, arrival stamp and arrival card. I have nothing from the landlord.

After submitting, I got registration successful notice, wait for email.

Yeah, maybe wait many weeks, and it'll be rejected, would that be a likely outcome without landlord details?

If you do it as possessor you don't need anything from owner except for contract. Don't need his ID etc. 

I was also confused (still am) about housing id number if doing it online. Thinking the owner can provide that. I'm doing it via mail.

Edited by DrJack54

Here is my question about that. If you do it by mail the first time, are you going to be able to switch over to the online or app system? I understand by mail there are many of the same docs that need to be sent in everytime, kind of a hassle.

4 minutes ago, rwilem said:

Here is my question about that. If you do it by mail the first time, are you going to be able to switch over to the online or app system? I understand by mail there are many of the same docs that need to be sent in everytime, kind of a hassle.

So true. Fact is I can't do one every time I leave and return to my home (condo bkk). It would require me to do maybe 20+ per just for international. Some members say tm30 required only for international, some say domestic also. Its a bloody nightmare. Hence I plan to do ONE only per year after last return from outside los prior to attending CW. Hoping having a receipt with date matching tm6 and entry stamp will be adequate.

1 hour ago, rwilem said:

I registered as the possessor, and attached just my docs. Photos of the PP details, extension, arrival stamp and arrival card. I have nothing from the landlord.

Yeah, maybe wait many weeks, and it'll be rejected, would that be a likely outcome without landlord details?

Others have reported that they received emails requesting additional info.

FYI mine took 10 weeks to come through.

So, trying to be proactive on this I met with the landlord. Want to get going, get this done before the time you've waited too long and end up having a problem with it. (As you hear about very lengthy times for the stuff to get processed.)

Well, landlord was very uncooperative, agitated even, does not want to have any part of doing an online registration. And thinks it's 'only 800/1600' for me to absorb if I go out to CW to do one in person without the landlord details, etc. (Doesn't get it that it's the landlord's responsibility to see that TM-30s are filed.)

Well, the fine is one thing, but there are enough times one has to head out to CW, I want to be able to get it done online, and have further 'check-ins', TM-30 updates, done online. Not mail, not trips out there.

Ah, the whole thing is a drag.

Guess I'll have to try by mail. Fill out the TM-30 form, and what would I need from the landlord, just a rental agreement/contract? Is that going to be enough doing it by mail?

Edited by rwilem
Spelling

16 hours ago, rwilem said:

Well, landlord was very uncooperative, agitated even, does not want to have any part of doing an online registration.

Is this a condo? Or an apartment?

If apartment, are there more tenants than just you?

Any foreigners?

Some landlords (either condo owners subletting, or apartment owners) are worried about involving the authorities, often for fear of the taxman. I've heard of some elases being re-written to split out rent for the apartment (income), and furnishings (less taxable).

21 hours ago, rwilem said:

When you registered online, it would have asked for specific documents, did you submit the documents they asked for ? online registration doesn't ask for arrival stamp etc so not sure why you sent that. It would have asked for blue-book or chanote and ID.

You didnt get a "registration sucessful email, you got an email verification email. Sucessful is when they send you a password.

Don't do this unless you are specifically asked to do so. I have just been through the process. TM30 never mentioned. Don't be panicked by all the scaremongering on this and other news outlets.

Edited by Thingamabob
Wrong spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

When you registered online, it would have asked for specific documents, did you submit the documents they asked for ? online registration doesn't ask for arrival stamp etc so not sure why you sent that. It would have asked for blue-book or chanote and ID.

You didnt get a "registration sucessful email, you got an email verification email. Sucessful is when they send you a password

I registered via the Section 38 mobile app. It did not request specific documents, it just has a submit tab, which lets you put a description heading on the each of files you are attaching. 

Obviously, I am short of a few docs which are necessary--rental agreement, condo owner ID, 'blue book'--but the app accepted this initial registration, and a window said to wait for an email. 

I received an email last night, confirming email address. Yes, I get it that I'm not actually registered for the system. And won't be successfully so with incomplete documents submitted on this first attempt. I will fill out a rental agreement with the landlord, and ask once again for copies of ID and 'blue book' (how many or which pages of said book would be needed?) and try to do a second attempt with the app.

I included the arrival card, stamp as it seems for everything one does at immigration they want a copy of those.

47 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Don't do this unless you are specifically asked to do so. I have just been through the process. TM30 never mentioned. Don't be panicked by all the scaremongering on this and other news outlets.

Could you explain 'been through the process' of what? You did not have to do or submit a TM30?

I moved recently, my address has changed. Next 90-day report, with a new address, what would happen then? I just want to get this thing done, be on the up-and-up.

2 minutes ago, rwilem said:

I registered via the Section 38 mobile app. It did not request specific documents, it just has a submit tab, which lets you put a description heading on the each of files you are attaching. 

Obviously, I am short of a few docs which are necessary--rental agreement, condo owner ID, 'blue book'--but the app accepted this initial registration, and a window said to wait for an email. 

I received an email last night, confirming email address. Yes, I get it that I'm not actually registered for the system. And won't be successfully so with incomplete documents submitted on this first attempt. I will fill out a rental agreement with the landlord, and ask once again for copies of ID and 'blue book' (how many or which pages of said book would be needed?) and try to do a second attempt with the app.

I included the arrival card, stamp as it seems for everything one does at immigration they want a copy of those.

If the app registration didnt request specific documents, how do you know what documents you are short, or what documents are to be sent.

Maybe the app is different but registering via the website, it requested blue book and ID, it doesnt ask for a lease etc.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Is this a condo? Or an apartment?

If apartment, are there more tenants than just you?

Any foreigners?

Some landlords (either condo owners subletting, or apartment owners) are worried about involving the authorities, often for fear of the taxman. I've heard of some elases being re-written to split out rent for the apartment (income), and furnishings (less taxable).

It's a condo, landlord has several units, some foreign tenants. 

Thing is, I don't want to go out to CW, file a TM30, get fined, and waste the day for that. 

Or be restricted to mail for your comings and goings and mailing TM30s. 

Landlord actually told me yesterday to 'get an agent do it'. Huh? I have not needed an agent for any immigration issues. I have known, personally, where guys having used agents got themselves in a bit of a pickle. (Client lives in Bkk, agent gets extension processed far away, client goes to CW for something, gets told, 'no, you can't do it, you don't live here'.)

Edited by rwilem
Spelling

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If the app registration didnt request specific documents, how do you know what documents you are short, or what documents are to be sent.

Maybe the app is different but registering via the website, it requested blue book and ID, it doesnt ask for a lease etc.

Well, I am assuming that the requirements would be similar? 

One reply above said that someone was contacted after their initial submission to provide additional documents.

At the least, I should get a rental agreement, and if I can get owner ID, blue book, and do a second try with the mobile app.

Seems to be a backlog, and waits of up to ten weeks or more to get a final approval and user name/password. 

23 hours ago, rwilem said:

My landlord started the online registration. After waiting 3 weeks she went to CW in person and filed my TM30. She eventually got a password for the online registration. That tells me that filing in person or by mail should not interfere with registering online. 

23 minutes ago, rwilem said:

Could you explain 'been through the process' of what? You did not have to do or submit a TM30?

I moved recently, my address has changed. Next 90-day report, with a new address, what would happen then? I just want to get this thing done, be on the up-and-up.

If you are planning to get a 1 year extension then you will definitely be asked for a TM30. You are right to get this out of the way now and to learn the filing process. There are other interactions with Immigration where they don’t ask for a TM30. 

10 minutes ago, Martyp said:

If you are planning to get a 1 year extension then you will definitely be asked for a TM30. You are right to get this out of the way now and to learn the filing process. There are other interactions with Immigration where they don’t ask for a TM30. 

Exactly. I have my extension (over 50, banked method, CW) looming in late fall. Never needed to show a TM30 receipt before as I was in the system. 

Now from this year big changes in Bkk about enforcing this. And I changed residence after returning from abroad. New address. 

A 90-day report with a new address...hmm..how will that be looked at without a TM30 being on file? Would I even be able to do the 90-dayer online? I can attest, it's a drag to go out to CW just for a 90-day report. 

1 hour ago, rwilem said:

Exactly. I have my extension (over 50, banked method, CW) looming in late fall. Never needed to show a TM30 receipt before as I was in the system. 

Now from this year big changes in Bkk about enforcing this. And I changed residence after returning from abroad. New address. 

A 90-day report with a new address...hmm..how will that be looked at without a TM30 being on file? Would I even be able to do the 90-dayer online? I can attest, it's a drag to go out to CW just for a 90-day report. 

I believe a 90-day report is one of the things that doesn’t require a TM30 at CW.

My next 1 year extension is due November 19th. I will file my next TM30, through my very nice and cooperative landlady, when I return from a trip to the USA in September. I will apply for the one year extension in mid-October to give me plenty of time to resolve any problems, like TM30, that arise.

I did see a post from someone whose recent travel inside Thailand was detected when applying for an extension at CW. He had to file a TM30. You should consider filing for any type of detectable travel (i.e. a hotel in Thailand) just before applying for your extension.

Good luck.

The "TM30" is not a real big issue just the normal Thai Government madness!

I was fined 800 Baht for not having reported in 11 years!.

Now the utter madness is I'm married to a Thai national and havr been living at the same "owned" address since 2008!

To that end i was also told i have to report each time i re-enter Thailand. "Really" I am a foreign from UK and live in my wife's house!

I really do feel like I'm treated as a criminal living in Thailand!

Report every 90 days, + TM30.

Thailand is NOT a land of smiles for foreigners any longer! Dam expensive too.

Why has the onus been put on the tenant to do the TM30. From what I can gather , it is the landlords responsibility .

Surely immigration could track down said landlords and fine them for not reporting the foreigner that is staying in their property as required by law.

Or is it too much like hard work and not a headline grabber ?

14 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Why has the onus been put on the tenant to do the TM30. From what I can gather , it is the landlords responsibility .

Surely immigration could track down said landlords and fine them for not reporting the foreigner that is staying in their property as required by law.

Or is it too much like hard work and not a headline grabber ?

It is the landlords responsibility. You just have to decide if you want a 1 year extension or not. Not going to get it without a TM30 whatever think about the landlord or the requirement.

This is what I am saying , immi. has shifted the onus onto the Foreigner instead of chasing the landlord.

If you stay in a hotel and they don't report you , the hotel  gets fined , not the Foreigner.

It is just immigration bending the rules/laws to suit themselves .

Edited by NE1

33 minutes ago, NE1 said:

This is what I am saying , immi. has shifted the onus onto the Foreigner instead of chasing the landlord.

If you stay in a hotel and they don't report you , the hotel  gets fined , not the Foreigner.

It is just immigration bending the rules/laws to suit themselves .

I don’t care if I have to do it. I just want an easy online way to do it. Fortunately I just learned that my landlady now has her password to the TM30 website. So far she insists on filing for me. If that becomes a problem I am hoping she will give me the password and let me do it myself.

24 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

How long did it take for you guys to get the email conformation? 4 days and nothing I see it's taking a while to get the login details

My landlady applied a couple of months ago and at that time it took over 3 weeks to get the email giving her the initial password. Some people report that the email ends up in their spam folder. You should look there as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martyp said:

My landlady applied a couple of months ago and at that time it took over 3 weeks to get the email giving her the initial password. Some people report that the email ends up in their spam folder. You should look there as well.

Yes I do