Letter sent to Prime Minister

CanadaSam

I think that you will find that he is from east of the Ontario border, Toronto, I believe.

I'm surprised that no members have noted that "CanadaSam" is a reincarnation (I think) of one previously known as something like "The Guy From Another Forum". At least the avatar and the wording of the OP seems to suggest that.

Whoever he is, I suggest he needs to keep reading ThaiVisa and gain a better understanding of how the wheels turn for expats in Thailand.

Good letter only 2 little problems

1. Dear PM does not speak a word of English and anyone who does is considered to be a devil

2. Dear PM might be little preoccupied at the moment dealing with more pressing issues like failing to say full oath.

• Like 2

To address some of the questions here, I am from Vancouver, as west as it gets in Canada.

Secondly, in all my 30 years of dealing with governments in third world countries, I have learnt that you can not get without giving.

That was my thinking behind offering to up the deposit to a million, in exchange for getting rid of all the stupid reporting.

Thirdly, I simply can not believe what one of you said, that a 200k increase ($6500, GBP5400) will wipe out 50% of expats here, that is a drop in the ocean for foreigners from western countries, whether on pension or other income.

Fourth, you all have to realize that Thailand is basically the cheapest country in the world to retire in with only THB 800k required, neighboring Malaysia takes over double that, and the South American countries takes multiples of it.

Finally, yes, I agree, I was a bit drunk when I wrote it, but I still stand by it, and hope the big guy at least investigates into this absolutely ridiculous rules where if you go to another part of the Kingdom even for a day, you need to report it like you're a criminal or something......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, at15 said:

absolutely laughable. you people are insane for sending these letters. your only making things worse, you think thai people in positions of power what to be questioned on their regulations. absolutely not, they will be offended and only make things more difficult in the future. 

If that is possible.

5 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I wasn't aware that we had an "Honourable" Prime Minister !! 

Hopefully if you sent via email you can delete it before its been read, or if by Thai post ask them to send it back to you.

You're not a body double for Steve100 are you ? 

Never seen such tosh in all my years.

We're all gonna get deported now, cheers dude.

"You're not a body double for Steve100 are you ?"

No it's after 5 pm, Steves out for the count. :cheesy: 

• Haha 2

So a few days ago I did my 90 day report....online....wow man...it was tough....my poor fingers from punching keys....yes it's tough for us expats....my funds? Uncle Sam deposits them every month to a Thai bank....straight to baht....I had to learn how to identify what baht looks like, and how to use all by myself, but some of the people here speak English....so it alleviates the horrible terrible language pressures on me when try to order at KFC.

You asked for a raising of requirements to 1 million baht? Is this in the spirit of negotiating or something? The give away the store opening? Good Thank god he'll never read your letter!

10 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

To address some of the questions here, I am from Vancouver, as west as it gets in Canada.

Secondly, in all my 30 years of dealing with governments in third world countries, I have learnt that you can not get without giving.

That was my thinking behind offering to up the deposit to a million, in exchange for getting rid of all the stupid reporting.

Thirdly, I simply can not believe what one of you said, that a 200k increase ($6500, GBP5400) will wipe out 50% of expats here, that is a drop in the ocean for foreigners from western countries, whether on pension or other income.

Fourth, you all have to realize that Thailand is basically the cheapest country in the world to retire in with only THB 800k required, neighboring Malaysia takes over double that, and the South American countries takes multiples of it.

Finally, yes, I agree, I was a bit drunk when I wrote it, but I still stand by it, and hope the big guy at least investigates into this absolutely ridiculous rules where if you go to another part of the Kingdom even for a day, you need to report it like you're a criminal or something......

Many are struggling with 800,000/400,000 and have wives and children here, perhaps you could pick up the tab for their destitute families when their bread winner gets thrown out.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

You obviously don't have a clue about a large percentage of people who retired to Thailand, many of whom who did so because Thailand offered a place they could actually afford to live rather than just exist unlike their home countries.

Australians for example, full pension living in Thailand is around AU$22,000 per year and your asking Thailand to tell them to tie up an extra AU$9500 of that for five months! Add that on top of the strength of the Baht recently and yes, it could well be the straw that breaks the elephants back for many.

• Like 2