Free visa will woo Chinese/Indians as Yuan fall creates more tourism woes

rooster59

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Yup; i have family from England who are not now coming and they will go elsewhere until the Baht gets a lot weaker....if ever !

Or maybe it might be better if the £ and the € went up.

But with the EU idiots doing what they do best, little chance that will happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

India and China population is like 2.5 billions combined, the local thinking and reasoning are that no matter how the currencies fluctuates, and with such huge markets, there will always be enough of them to to come visit and they're not wrong... 

Thing Is, tourism is only profitable If tourists are returning.

I am afraid Chinese and Indians don't really fall in that class.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Visitors from China would not be the anticipated 11.5 to 12 million of previous forecasts for this year. 

Thailand would be lucky to see 11 million visitors from China this year meaning a shortfall of 20 to 40 billion baht in revenues. 

they are starting to come down to the reality, TAT and it's forecast expectations wanting us to believe the country tourism was doing ok..... expect more bad news sooner than later

• Like 1

Just now, Mavideol said:

this morning long waiting line of Chinese people in front of 7-11, as a curious person usual do and I did, went in to see what was happening, maybe give away freebee's or something like that, much to my surprise all waiting for their noddles to be warmed up

That's what rich quality tourists do: waiting patiently for their 10-baht noodle breakfast...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

India and China population is like 2.5 billions combined, the local thinking and reasoning are that no matter how the currencies fluctuates, and with such huge markets, there will always be enough of them to to come visit and they're not wrong... 

thus bad reasoning I presume....

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Yup; i have family from England who are not now coming and they will go elsewhere until the Baht gets a lot weaker....if ever !

this morning heard my foreign neighbor speaking on the phone (he's a manager at some big hotel chain) it appears their reservations for the high season is very low, thought to heard the number around 25-30% less than last year

• Like 1

I think there is a lot more things that could be sorted here that the tourist would appreciate I see with my own eyes the other day a taxi dropped of a Chinese family on the main road in Rawai with their luggage still 1km from where they wanted to be they asked me for help I asked them what happened with the taxi and they said the taxi couldn't find where they wanted to be, OK show me where you want to go one of the girls had it on her phone the location they were at the end of the soi they wanted to be, so now we are outside 7/11 at 1pm blazing sunshine with all the luggage they have now got to walk, I thought thats the general idea getting a taxi to get to your destination not dropped of 1km away I think when they get back to China will not have good things to say about Phukets taxi drivers this one was from Patong bye the way.

Why Chinese and Indians keep coming inspite of the Thai Baht strength and Brits are cancelling their trips ? Aren't the Brits supposed to be the rich one ? Chinese and Indians are poor compared to them. Even a weak pound is still very very strong compared to the Chinese RMB or Indian Rupee. So with a weak pound the Brits will travel where ?? Are they going to cancel their trip to Thailand and travel to America or Europe ?? Or Singapore, Hongkong or Korea ? All these places are more expnsive than Thailand. Maybe Loas or Vietnam could be an option but the experience is not the same. People will go where they enjoy and feel happy no matter the cost. If price was the problem people will never travel to Europe or America but only to the cheapest countries in the world. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand would be lucky to see 11 million visitors from China this year meaning a shortfall of 20 to 40 billion baht in revenues. 

The one thing that is certain to motivate them is the loss of money. In reality they couldn't care less about the numbers or even if anyone came so long as they didn't lose any money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

What are you talking about? It's not the strength of the baht it's the pound that's on it's arse. Brits have BJ, Farage and their pals to blame for that. Once the UK is out of the EU with no deal come Halloween then it's only getting worse. 

And nothing to do with the appreciating baht? Everyone knows the pound is oversold (and for good reason, uncertainty*), but the baht is up against EVERYTHING.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

What are you talking about? It's not the strength of the baht it's the pound that's on it's arse. Brits have BJ, Farage and their pals to blame for that. Once the UK is out of the EU with no deal come Halloween then it's only getting worse. 

Really ,please check all currencies against the baht ,while Brexit uncertainty is harming the pound ,the main problem at the moment is most currencies are way down against the baht just check it on google ,its easy when you know how.

• Like 2

I take it you are a remainer trying to add to project fear. If you bothered to look at the currency charts like normal people not fearmongers do you will see that all currencies are way down on the baht,i do agree that the uncertainty at the moment over Brexit is a further factor ,but wait and see what happens ,no deal it seems has already been factored in by the money markets.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

All you have to do is look at what is going on politically.

Thailand got greedy when times were booming, now they are paying the price. And will continue to pay the price for years to come. Thailand is influenced heavily by China. You can see that in the politics.

Personally I have no sympathy for Thailand what so ever.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1