Recommended Import/Clearing Agent

stament

I will be moving to Chiang Mai on a marriage non-immigrant O visa and wish to send my personal household goods to Chiang Mai.

Essentially this will consist of kitchen utensils, cutlery, washing machine, microwave, lounge and bedroom furniture (beds, tables, sofas) and a TV. There will also be some clothes and bedding.

Can anyone recommend an agent to get these cleared in BKK without having to pay a heavy import tax please?

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Is it worth the hassle and expense? You might do better to simply buy all new when you arrive.

Well that's what I need to find out re cost of any import tax as my shipping costs are free....

I don't know what country you are exporting from, but seek out a Thai freight forwarding company in your home country and have them send your things to you. With a good, long established Thai company who knows what they are doing, you won't pay a Satang in import duty.

stament said:

Essentially this will consist of kitchen utensils, cutlery, washing machine, microwave, lounge and bedroom furniture (beds, tables, sofas) and a TV. There will also be some clothes and bedding.

In November I also will be shipping household goods to Chiang Mai from US.  Theoretically used household goods for long-term visa holders and returning Thai citizens are duty free with certain restrictions.

I'm guessing you're from Canada or USA so you will have 110V goods.  I plan on selling/donating almost all my 110V items and replacing with 220V goods from Thailand.  I will ship some dual voltage goods such as TV's, computers and a few electronics that run on DC from plug in converters.

I would recommend you not take your washing machine or your microwave and make sure your TV will accept 220V.

11 hours ago, elektrified said:

I don't know what country you are exporting from, but seek out a Thai freight forwarding company in your home country and have them send your things to you. With a good, long established Thai company who knows what they are doing, you won't pay a Satang in import duty.

Not an option as my company who is paying use the same shipper.

42 minutes ago, stament said:

Ok will ask them then, thanks for the tip.

4 hours ago, Bill97 said:

If he is any good he should be able to tell you the duties and clear it for you.

Here's the link to Thai customs page regarding importation of used household goods by non-residents.

Thai customs

On 8/12/2019 at 10:14 AM, gamb00ler said:

Here's the link to Thai customs page regarding importation of used household goods by non-residents.

Thai customs

Just doesnt matter though.. The rules can say anything, once they have your stuff they will determine how much you want it (if not using a good connected agent). 

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Just doesnt matter though.. The rules can say anything, once they have your stuff they will determine how much you want it (if not using a good connected agent). 

Gotta love Thai rules.....

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

All of which brings us back to the original question:- Anyone know a well connected customs clearing agent?

Customs clearance should be part of the package arranged with the shipper, included in his responsibilities so he can deliver to your door here.  The good ones all do it.

Customs clearance requirements depend on the shipping documents prepared by the shipper.  

See post #4.

28 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Customs clearance should be part of the package arranged with the shipper, included in his responsibilities so he can deliver to your door here.  The good ones all do it.

Customs clearance requirements depend on the shipping documents prepared by the shipper.  

See post #4.

Ah ok I didn't realise customs clearance was part of it. I will speak to the company shipping firm.

Many thanks

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:37 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

Is it worth the hassle and expense? You might do better to simply buy all new when you arrive.

Absolute bang on - far far better to just flog off what you had in your home country (or give to the homeless for an extra buzz) and buy new here

That's of course unless you have a £20,000 mattress, I might hang on to that !

16 minutes ago, stament said:

Ah ok I didn't realise customs clearance was part of it. I will speak to the company shipping firm.

Many thanks

If it is not then you are paying a shipper to dump your stuff at the port with who knows what paperwork which he prepared and left you holding the bag for.  Since you most likely know little about the paperwork that is not a good situation to get yourself into.

My shipper delivered to my door in CM, you should consider getting similar service instead of hastelling how to get the stuff to CM by yourself.

41 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

If it is not then you are paying a shipper to dump your stuff at the port with who knows what paperwork which he prepared and left you holding the bag for.  Since you most likely know little about the paperwork that is not a good situation to get yourself into.

My shipper delivered to my door in CM, you should consider getting similar service instead of hastelling how to get the stuff to CM by yourself.

That's exactly what I want and it will be delivered to my door but I wasn't sure of any excise fees even though I think I'm supposed to be exempt. 

On 8/13/2019 at 2:54 AM, LivinLOS said:

I have baksheesh insurance.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:16 PM, Handsome Gardener said:

Absolute bang on - far far better to just flog off what you had in your home country (or give to the homeless for an extra buzz) and buy new here

That's of course unless you have a £20,000 mattress, I might hang on to that !

It does very much depend on what you intend to bring.. High end items are often insanely priced here (good tools also) I looked at buying some B&W speakers about a decade back, in uk I could get a set for +-4k GBP here I was quoted 680k baht !! Back then similar price differences could be found on home theater equipment / projectors etc now the consumer nature of those has brought them down. 

So it very much depends on what you wish to bring over. General household goods ?? I wouldnt bother. 

21 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

It does very much depend on what you intend to bring.. High end items are often insanely priced here (good tools also) I looked at buying some B&W speakers about a decade back, in uk I could get a set for +-4k GBP here I was quoted 680k baht !! Back then similar price differences could be found on home theater equipment / projectors etc now the consumer nature of those has brought them down. 

So it very much depends on what you wish to bring over. General household goods ?? I wouldnt bother. 

The point is shipping is free for me and hence why I'm looking into how much that customs duty will be. Not sure if this is covered by my company or ok if within the budget I've been given which is a 40ft container.

I will ask when I am back at work.

Archived