Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

21 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How can you be so sure?

Pattaya's most popular sports bar, Retox, is for sale. 

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I never suggested it was.

I am merely saying that if one of the most, if not the most, popular sports bar in Pattaya is for sale, what makes you so confident your favorite sports bar will remain open, into the future? 

I think you did. Had me going there for a minute.555

Well the impossible happened today.......I noticed about 4 Indian Restaurants in act of closing down......Real lets remove every thing from the shop closing down....But loads more are closed but still not completely out of business..... 

On 5/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, TaaSaparot said:

What bar is not for sale?

Sure, but that advertisement was dated the 30th March, when the virus had not caused so much economic damage.  Either they were selling anyway, or could see the writing on the wall.  

On 5/21/2020 at 7:45 AM, redwood1 said:

Well the impossible happened today.......I noticed about 4 Indian Restaurants in act of closing down......Real lets remove every thing from the shop closing down....But loads more are closed but still not completely out of business..... 

How do you know they were closing down?  Maybe they have negotiated a cheaper lease elsewhere and are simply moving. 

6 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

How do you know Retox is closing down?

I never said Retox is closing down.  Retox is for sale, and I posted the link.

However, if one of the most popular sports bars in Pattaya, if not the most popular, wants out, then that's a sign of the times.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How do you know they were closing down?  Maybe they have negotiated a cheaper lease elsewhere and are simply moving. 

Well I did not go and interview the owners personally.....But removing ever last thing from a shop says 100% CLOSED to me.......No ones going to negotiate a new lease at a new location now any ways,a landlord would be a fool to do this...Zero rent shops are not to popular with landlords...

Edited by redwood1

38 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

No ones going to negotiate a new lease at a new location now any ways,a landlord would be a fool to do this..

I think this issue is something we are going to see more of in the near future. 

In the past, wealthy Thai landlords could afford to have their commercial properties vacant for some time, whilst holding out for the next dreamer to start up a lease that was designed to fail from the outset.  Those dreamers were decreasing in numbers, rapidly, along with the shrinking western tourism market.

Do Thai landlords negotiate, or do Thai landlords evict?  Do Thai landlords try to retain their current tenant, or possibly see them move to another property where the rent is more favorable?  

Some tenants may stay put, regardless.  Some tenants will just hand back the keys.  Some tenants will seek a better deal out of necessity and / or good business practice. 

Some of our favorite bars and restaurants may still be operating after the virus crisis has passed, albeit, some may be at a different location. 

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think this issue is something we are going to see more of in the near future. 

In the past, wealthy Thai landlords could afford to have their commercial properties vacant for some time, whilst holding out for the next dreamer to start up a lease that was designed to fail from the outset.  Those dreamers were decreasing in numbers, rapidly, along with the shrinking western tourism market.

Do Thai landlords negotiate, or do Thai landlords evict?  Do Thai landlords try to retain their current tenant, or possibly see them move to another property where the rent is more favorable?  

Some tenants may stay put, regardless.  Some tenants will just hand back the keys.  Some tenants will seek a better deal out of necessity and / or good business practice. 

Some of our favorite bars and restaurants may still be operating after the virus crisis has passed, albeit, some may be at a different location. 

Well, thanks for that post about thai landlords, there's absolutely no point to this post.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Well if they want to revive the malls they ABSOLUTELY MUST SCRAP the need for the QR code and the temp gun in ALL RESTAURANTS AND SHOPS...

That's not the dealbreaker it's the social distancing in restaurants and no alcohol. Might as well do takeaways until Corona blows over

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's not the dealbreaker it's the social distancing in restaurants and no alcohol. Might as well do takeaways until Corona blows over

Been for lunch a couple of times at Bake 'n Brew. Divisions between tables but not at tables. Apart from staff wearing masks, all pretty normal really. As I don't drink during the day, enjoyed my lunch as much as always.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Been for lunch a couple of times at Bake 'n Brew. Divisions between tables but not at tables. Apart from staff wearing masks, all pretty normal really. As I don't drink during the day, enjoyed my lunch as much as always.

i rarely drink alcohol at restaurants, but at Thai BBQs i always have a large Chang, it's almost mandatory so can't go there

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i rarely drink alcohol at restaurants, but at Thai BBQs i always have a large Chang, it's almost mandatory so can't go there

Me too, but I think Moo Katha restaurants are going to struggle to adapt to the new rules anyway.

10 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So what, it resembles to other 1000 beer bars in pattaya that are equally as grim IMO.

No, its had some serious money spent on that. For a beer bar in Soi MIT, madness, particularly in the present climate. Just proves the old adage, if you want to make a million on a bar in Pattaya, start with 2 million.

1 minute ago, Phil McCaverty said:

No, its had some serious money spent on that. For a beer bar in Soi MIT, madness, particularly in the present climate. Just proves the old adage, if you want to make a million on a bar in Pattaya, start with 2 million.

Serious money, looks at it, there's nothing to it, new tiles / seats / lights that's about it ( same as the others, albiet most are scabbier looking ).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I just think its interesting among the doom and gloom that there is always someone who is giving it a go, no matter what the naysayers say.

I have no problem with someone buying a bar like this, if it's just a hobby for them and a place for them to socialize, albeit, an expensive and unhealthy hobby.  If they buy it just to have something to do every day, or for some fun, then fine.  

For those that think a 16 seat brick and tin roof bar, open only between 6pm and 2am, with rent somewhere from 30k to 50k baht a month, then other overheads on top, is going to break even, or make a profit, then as another member said, they have more money then sense. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I just think its interesting among the doom and gloom that there is always someone who is giving it a go, no matter what the naysayers say.

It might be interesting if there wasn't as you say always someone doing it and looking at it, let's face it, it's just the same old same old that's been the look and formula for years.  Unless you're offering something different I really don't see the point. 

• Like 2