Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

it does have a canteen feel to it but by far it has the best food and at good prices, not falang overpricing which many have. It's the busiest restaurant in Buakhao

The only place that's doing any business Bars & Restaurants wise at present in B/K is Cheap Charlies. All the rest Buddha only knows how fresh their food is. So be it on your own head if you dine??? In them. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

100% . For a business to be operating at a loss you will be lucky to give it away . I know there is some clueless people in this world but that would just about take the biscuit if someone even offered to take on the lease let alone buy it . 

Well the Indians snapped up Chunky Monkey......

Considering the coustomerless dire state of just about every Indian restaurant in Pattaya now, I predict one of these days it will just become unbearable for some Indian to see Hungry Hippo busy all the time...And he will decide he must have it......

I would rate Hungry Hippo probably the busiest restaurant in all of Pattaya right now.. 

Edited by redwood1

13 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The only place that's doing any business Bars & Restaurants wise at present in B/K is Cheap Charlies. All the rest Buddha only knows how fresh their food is. So be it on your own head if you dine??? In them. 

that's not true, whenever i go past cheap charlies it's empty or near empty, plus they have a stupid charging policy of 25 baht extra for take away. Hungry Hippo on the other hand is nearly always busy

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

that's not true, whenever i go past cheap charlies it's empty or near empty, plus they have a stupid charging policy of 25 baht extra for take away. Hungry Hippo on the other hand is nearly always busy

I was in Patts a few weeks ago and it was busy then. Morning for their small breakfast @ 89bht that compares with H/H 109bht for the same thing? Also for their evening food. Yes I did dine there and it was good value also fresh. Cant comment on T/A as I prefer my food freshly cooked, and served to me with a smile. N/B their evening food is also cheaper than H/H + you can get it for even less if you have one of their cards. Cod & chips for EG is 99bht if you have one of those.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

I was in Patts a few weeks ago and it was busy then. Morning for their small breakfast @ 89bht that compares with H/H 109bht for the same thing? Also for their evening food. Yes I did dine there and it was good value also fresh. Cant comment on T/A as I prefer my food freshly cooked, and served to me with a smile. N/B their evening food is also cheaper than H/H + you can get it for even less if you have one of their cards. Cod & chips for EG is 99bht if you have one of those.

The HH English breakfast starts at 89 baht, other breakfasts from 59 baht incl Tea\coffee. Cheap Charlies needs to lose the membership nonsense and drop the takeaway 25 baht charge before it goes down the toilet

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Yes, and one of them is air-conditioned which in my mind is worth a few baht. I was chatting to someone in HH other day and they were disparaging of Cheap Charlie's food..... do you say it is good?

Are you sure it is cod for 99baht or simply fish?

Edited by jacko45k

I went to a famous restaurant in Bangkok recently. The staff were more than the customers. They were so free that they have to time to watch customers' every move.

Edited by EricTh

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and one of them is air-conditioned which in my mind is worth a few baht. I was chatting to someone in HH other day and they were disparaging of Cheap Charlie's food..... do you say it is good?

I try not to eat in A/C restaurants as the food gets cold. I'm not saying that the H/H isn't good value it is, but it's just as good in C/C. Nothing wrong with their food either. I had their small breakfast twice whilst I was there, and it was hot freshly cooked and nice (With fab back Bacon). I can also recommend their Cod and Chips some of the best fried Cod delish crispy batter and at 129bht a steal, I have had in Thailand. N/B only had that because the nights I was there it was tipping it down with rain and I didn't want to walk to far.

Reply to S/Dub I was comparing like for like on the prices. Look up their wed sites.   

9 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I try not to eat in A/C restaurants as the food gets cold. I'm not saying that the H/H isn't good value it is, but it's just as good in C/C. Nothing wrong with their food either. I had their small breakfast twice whilst I was there, and it was hot freshly cooked and nice (With fab back Bacon). I can also recommend their Cod and Chips some of the best fried Cod delish crispy batter and at 129bht a steal, I have had in Thailand. N/B only had that because the nights I was there it was tipping it down with rain and I didn't want to walk to far.

Reply to S/Dub I was comparing like for like on the prices. Look up their wed sites.   

Going to the extreme. I also ate at the Beefeater restaurant. Had their Beef filet with pepper sauce and Lyonnaise potato's very nice. Good service and nothing to complain about. Must say not cheap though, with 2 small Tiger beers just a few BHT short of 1.000bht.

15 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Since your link was posted in July, or ?

i think it was originally advertised for 8.5 million baht.  Now advertised at 6 million baht.  That's a 30% drop in price.  

Edited by Leaver

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem with the owner banging on about ill health, people might as well wait for it to go down further

As another member has alluded to, who would buy a non performing asset in the current climate? 

He could offer it for free, but no one will take on the overheads.  

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

As another member has alluded to, who would buy a non performing asset in the current climate? 

How can the most busy restaurant in Pattaya be non performing ?....

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

i think it was originally advertised for 8.5 million baht.  Now advertised at 5 million baht.  That's a 30% drop in price.  

Your own post link says it's now 6 million baht not 5. With 2 apartments upstairs, 1 of them the whole 5th floor plus 300 meals served a day, sounds like a great deal except for covid

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

How can the most busy restaurant in Pattaya be non performing ?....

See Post #1787.

The cheap eats make it packed so he can flip it.  The intention was never to make money on food and beverage.  

10 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Your own post link says it's now 6 million baht not 5. With 2 apartments upstairs, 1 of them the whole 5th floor plus 300 meals served a day, sounds like a great deal except for covid

Sorry, I noticed the typo.  I have edited it to 6 million.  The 30% drop in price is correct.

Have you taken into account the overheads?  

You can do 500 meals a day, but if all you are making per meal is 1 baht profit, you are not making much money for the risk involved.  

His meals are cheap for the "pump and dump."  He pumped it, but can't dump it.  You can expect prices of the meals to rise in the future, if they haven't already, the longer he can not sell it.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leaver said:

what evidence do you have it's a non performing asset? from what i can see it's the busiest restaurant in the area at the worst time in decades, what it's worth is another question, you'd need to look at the books to work that out

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Going to the extreme. I also ate at the Beefeater restaurant. Had their Beef filet with pepper sauce and Lyonnaise potato's very nice. Good service and nothing to complain about. Must say not cheap though, with 2 small Tiger beers just a few BHT short of 1.000bht.

My choice always in Beafeater. I have the Dauphinoise potatoes though. Didn't know they did Lyonnaise but find them a bit dry anyway.

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

what evidence do you have it's a non performing asset? from what i can see it's the busiest restaurant in the area at the worst time in decades, what it's worth is another question, you'd need to look at the books to work that out

As I said in another post, and he has a history for it, it appears the restaurant was built to break even, possibly run at a loss, on purpose, with cheap meals to make it packed. 

The end game was the sale of the business, probably to a dreamer that just saw it always busy.

I agree, we would need to see his books, so you can see the overheads, particularly the rent, not to mention the purchase price.  

How many 120 baht meals do you think it would take to get back the purchase price, with monthly rent on top, not to mention staff salaries, electric, water etc etc?   

His ill health story would seem to be BS, so if it's so profitable, why is he selling?

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You don't get the building - you have to pay rent in addition to the many millions. If you want to have a restaurant like this simple copy it. You don't need to provide quality. The food just needs to be cheap. The people eating there just care about the price. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Leaver said:

it appears the restaurant was built to break even, possibly run at a loss, on purpose, with cheap meals to make it packed. 

No evidence of that, it's just your opinion. Yes he flips successful businesses, makes sense to sell businesses that make a profit, plenty of ones that make a loss for sale which have few customers with too high prices

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No evidence of that, it's just your opinion. Yes he flips successful businesses, makes sense to sell businesses that make a profit, plenty of ones that make a loss for sale which have few customers with too high prices

Yes, it is just my opinion, but do you have any evidence it actually makes a profit?

If all someone was looking for was the quick sale of bar, for example, why not take a loss on 45 baht all day beers, and possibly some live music, and pack the place out for prospective purchasers?   Nothing new, been done before.

The end game is the sale, not making money on the beer.

He has a history of it, and I see HH as no different. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

I seem to remember in the days of the Retox loss leading 99 baht buster breakfast down in vest central they needed to sell in the region of a couple of hundred just to break even. Profit was obviously made on the later beer guzzlers and higher priced food. 

Seems like HH and CC are catering solely to the cheap special brigade, is there any higher priced upside to their business model? 

I hate to agree with Doctor Doom but for me he is right on this one and it will send shock waves through the English fried breakfast community if one of them pulls down the shutters in the next couple of months. 

Edited by kinyara

6 hours ago, polpott said:

My choice always in Beafeater. I have the Dauphinoise potatoes though. Didn't know they did Lyonnaise but find them a bit dry anyway.

I have had their Dauph: potato's before, but this time they had Lyon: Potato's. Both delish. To answer your other reply. C/C Does Cod and home made chips mush: peas as their special every Friday night. At 129BHT well worth a try.                     

6 hours ago, kinyara said:

Seems like HH and CC are catering solely to the cheap special brigade, is there any higher priced upside to their business model? 

I hate to agree with Doctor Doom but for me he is right on this one and it will send shock waves through the English fried breakfast community if one of them pulls down the shutters in the next couple of months. 

Places that charge falang prices in Thailand just don't work, they crash and burn. Lower prices and higher volume work well all over the world. CC could go under due to not being busy and their daft membership requirement. As for Doctor Doom he's not right on this one

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Places that charge falang prices in Thailand just don't work, they crash and burn. Lower prices and higher volume work well all over the world. CC could go under due to not being busy and their daft membership requirement. As for Doctor Doom he's not right on this one

To be fair it looks like the owners business model is a pretty decent one . Certainly not going to get rich by selling cheap meals but as someone said the real profit is selling it on before it loses its appeal . He might get caught holding the hot potato this time .  

• Like 1