Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

19 minutes ago, rott said:

Must have burnt a good few Bob. 

Yes, although a new name and sign weren't part of it. I have walked past a small Indian place on 2nd Rd quite a few times (outside of lockdown), where a young Indian woman stands outside trying to get customers in. Very sad really as I imagine a newly married couple are running it.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, although a new name and sign weren't part of it. I have walked past a small Indian place on 2nd Rd quite a few times (outside of lockdown), where a young Indian woman stands outside trying to get customers in. Very sad really as I imagine a newly married couple are running it.

Very few Indian caffs ever seem to have customers. 6 in my Soi have been proof of that. The Big and whistle PuB (don't know why he put a lower case w and a cap B) converted the rear to a curry house which must have been the same. 

8 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

E08ppvbVgAAu53E.jpg.ca5ccfb02f5350a6721a0dc23a4e07b4.jpg

Wow, they changed one letter taking over the place. What kind of nutter would re name it that?

Maybe they were too cheap to pay for a new sign, but agreed to change the name when they took it??

Edited by DerbyDan

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Seriously? Because he changed it from a 'P'.

If  you read it again I never mentioned changing from P to B. 

What I did say was that I was puzzled that he used a lower case w and the B (at the end) is a cap. 

Being a former compositor and almost a Linotype operator I have an eye for these things and was wondering if he was being whimsical or it was a mistake. 

If that drove you to post..... well up to you. ????

Edited by rott

29 minutes ago, rott said:

If  you read it again I never mentioned changing from P to B. 

What I did say was that I was puzzled that he used a lower case w and the B (at the end) is a cap. 

Being a former compositor and almost a Linotype operator I have an eye for these things and was wondering if he was being whimsical or it was a mistake. 

If that drove you to post..... well up to you. ????

I'm thinking it's either a foreigner issue who did not speak English, or someone who was changing it maliciously to make it look stupid or as a joke, or some Thai guy that could not fit a big w on there because he did not have the right stencil.

Any way you cut it it looks stupid and wrong, but it kind of fits in with Pattaya in a way with all the comical bar names.

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Particularly the negative types that seem to get a thrill out of things closing

The bars on our soi....still open!!.......have been told the landowner wants all the land back and they have to clear all the bars within 7 days........staff and owners are besides themselves......that's it......their livelihoods gone.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

The bars on our soi....still open!!.......have been told the landowner wants all the land back and they have to clear all the bars within 7 days........staff and owners are besides themselves......that's it......their livelihoods gone.

i guess their businesses are worth zero but could open elsewhere. Is that darkside?

31 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Do they not have leases? 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Do they not have leases? 

First thing I asked.........no......they just pay rent each month.......they only rent the land itself......the bar is just what they knock together as their income grows.

54 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

First thing I asked.........no......they just pay rent each month.......they only rent the land itself......the bar is just what they knock together as their income grows.

I like those ladies that set up a small table and sell whiskey shots. They almost never speak english and act confused when you stop for a shot.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

I know.  That's his business model.  He doesn't make money on the food, he makes money on the restaurant development and sale.

How much money do you think there is in 120 baht meals, after all expenses, including the capital outlay for the redevelopment?  

I think it was established a while back that you have never owned, managed or even worked in any similar business, and it becomes clearer every time you comment.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Rent = 150,000 baht a month.

Prior to HH man opening Chunkey Monkey the building was basically worthless, run down, grass growing out of the balcony, unused for 1 year+ since The failed Elephant Bar. Might become worthless again

On 5/10/2021 at 5:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Don't talk guff, his model is lower prices higher volumes, works for many successful companies. The high price low volume places have closed

When you buy a run down place, you have the initial lease and key money cost, then the building and construction costs, then operating costs.  Not to forget, operating cost are ongoing.  

With the business model you mentioned, how many years would it take to see a return on investment, that's ALL of the capital laid down?  I haven't even taken into account the loss of that same capital investment earning somewhere else.  

There's a reason why he advertises for sale, due to ill health of course, soon after getting the business running.  

I have said in the past, due to covid, he'll either have to raise prices, or sell at a fire sale to get out.   He's done both. 

Price lowered again.  Now at 3 million.   May be selling at a loss at that price.  

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/pattaya-s-number-1-farang-restaurant-is-for-sale--387708

Edited by Leaver

On 5/10/2021 at 5:41 AM, jacko45k said:

Plenty Thai places seem to sell cheap plates and they are not in the game of flipping. 

Rice and chicken / pork a bit different to offering western food.  

1 minute ago, TaaSaparot said:

Bit harsh, Rabbi's seemed successful enough, until he became ill and had to return home.

I believe he returned home to qualify for the aged pension, but maybe that bar has a history of its owners having "ill health."  ????

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Rice and chicken / pork a bit different to offering western food.  

Of course it is.... That is perhaps why they get called Thai restaurants, offering plenty choices at low prices. If anything I find the menus at the Western places limited....  hard to know which you are in by the same fillers on offer. 

6 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Bit harsh, Rabbi's seemed successful enough, until he became ill and had to return home.

Married the first bar girl he met, ran out of money and owed others money, think he went back also to get the Oz pension. Elephant Bar was a golf bar only busy for a few hours on the 3 golf days a week

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

When you buy a run down place, you have the initial lease and key money cost, then the building and construction costs, then operating costs.  Not to forget, operating cost are ongoing.  

With the business model you mentioned, how many years would it take to see a return on investment, that's ALL of the capital laid down?  I haven't even taken into account the loss of that same capital investment earning somewhere else.  

There's a reason why he advertises for sale, due to ill health of course, soon after getting the business running.  

I have said in the past, due to covid, he'll either have to raise prices, or sell at a fire sale to get out.   He's done both. 

Price lowered again.  Now at 3 million.   May be selling at a loss at that price.  

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/pattaya-s-number-1-farang-restaurant-is-for-sale--387708

The only way it would work for a buyer is if they went into partnership. Without his extensive input it will end up like Robins Nest and Chunky Monkey

22 hours ago, treetops said:

I think it was established a while back that you have never owned, managed or even worked in any similar business, and it becomes clearer every time you comment.

Perhaps you can offer an explanation as to why he keeps buying, building, and selling.   

If the restaurants have been profitable, why sell them?   

19 hours ago, piston broke said:

Was at Simple Simons today for a take out (soi 5, Jomtien Beach Road) ...

Closing permently as of this evening...... ...

83045047_3055133687902992_5319007129248701298_n.jpg

That's a shame. I often go in there when visiting Immigration as do many others. I imagine it is quiet after nightfall.