Thai Traffic Laws

CharlieH

On 7/27/2024 at 12:14 PM, maoro said:

Try Buriram, a green arrow to turn right, but oncoming traffic has also green. Total debacle.

Green means Go or Carry on with caution, very tricky one where in the event of an accident the police will come to a decision that suits them financially.

There was a new Road Traffic Act, I believe, in 2021.

As a pedestrian as well as a driver, I was interested in the nightmare that is zebra crossings.

The Act clearly said that if you step onto a zebra, all traffic MUST stop until you finish crossing. The fine (then) was 4000 baht (plus, I presume, losing some points).

I drove my daughter to school in Chiang Mai last week.

A car veered to overtake me on Sapahn Mengrai just outside the hospital! He stayed up against my rear bumper until I turned right along Charoenprathet. A policeman was standing on the zebra crossing there as the car whizzed past me over the zebra at at least 65-70 kms an hour. It went into Montfort Junior School. He didn't even blink.

I have the b#stard's number. But will the police care?

On 7/27/2024 at 12:14 PM, maoro said:

Try Buriram, a green arrow to turn right, but oncoming traffic has also green. Total debacle.

Seen the same in Chiang Mai , total confusion.

Nothing to do with traffic lights just Thais and conforming to the law. Where I live new underground waterpipes are being put in. This morning the workers had to close the road off. They put out road closure notices about 100m from the workings. Guess what? The locals took no notice of the signs and carried on down to the roadworks in the hope they could squeeze a motorbike through anywhere instead of going the longer route. Completely selfish idiots IMO.

Edited by IvorBiggun2