Where to eat - British pub restaurant

Briggsy

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The food was great. The staff were very attentive. There was a farang manager.

I believe it has been taken over by Retox since I was last there. Good to read positive feedback. Although I worry for their future. That location has taken many prisoners and their customer base is diminishing. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe it has been taken over by Retox since I was last there. Good to read positive feedback. Although I worry for their future. That location has taken many prisoners and their customer base is diminishing. 

Yes, I can see the business risks. There weren't many in there yesterday. The upstairs location means no passing trade. And in that locale, there is a ton of competition aiming at a similar customer / price bracket.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

So, anyway, I plumped for the Robin Hood Tavern in the end.

The food was great. The staff were very attentive. There was a farang manager. It was pretty much what I was looking for. And I would not have found it had it not been for you, yes you, you Pattaya front-liners, and your sharing of your wealth of knowledge????.

Too British and plastic for my liking, but I do understand the appeal for many. I like Irish pubs in Ireland and have never enjoyed the pseudo replicas in Spain and Asia. That said, I applaud anyone who has a go at making a business in Thailand and I would much rather places, such as the establishments of the Retox group, existed...... I wish them luck.

There is a story to every Pattaya bar/restaurant and it can usually be found in Facebook pages of Pattaya Breakfast Club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

I was under the impression you were selling up, sold your bikes, and leaving the country asap?

Another "had enough" et al...

I am, I have and I am but not "asap". Also I am not a "had enough". Those last two are your projections.

My reasons for leaving are more to do with family and work.

This thread was for a meal yesterday with some friends.

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL

Remember where you are.

You won't get better Thai food anywhere in the World that is better than right here in Thailand.

As for British food, you can get British food that compares well with food in the UK. You just need to know where to look. Had Cullen Skink in a little restaurant near my home, yesterday. It was the best Cullen Skink that I've ever eaten....anywhere. It was that good that I declined a main course and had a second bowl of Cullen Skink.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I don't think so. Do you know anyone from Cullen?

Grew up not far from the place, and have enjoyed many a bowl of Skink after a round on Cullen Links.

And that thick Smoked Haddock soupy stew could never be described as a broth.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, Briggsy said:

Okay, found it on Googen. It is on the list. Need one or two more. I used to go to Rosies or Rosie O'Grady's on Soi 7. I found the food there to be something like what I am after. Is it still okay / in business?

I liked your Googen so much, I thought I would buy the domain and do something fun in Thailand, but at $11,085 on Godaddy, it was a bit too much for my plans. 

www.googen.com would have been cool.

...anyway, back to our usual programming.

Edited by DLock
  • Like 1

On August 18, 2019 at 8:40 PM, jacko45k said:

I thought I had read that Retox had sold Robin Hood. An Indian fellow had purchased it 

3 hours ago, pegman said:

I thought I had read that Retox had sold Robin Hood. An Indian fellow had purchased it 

Haha, Chinese whispers. That was said of The Pig and Whistle, but last week there was absolutely no evidence of that there. Certainly Indian businessmen getting involved beyond their multitudes of scruffy cafe eating houses. Anybody tried The Beer Hubb yet?

On 8/21/2019 at 12:03 AM, jacko45k said:

Anybody tried The Beer Hubb yet?

Had lunch there a few weeks ago. Waitress advised me that the chef was Indian and recommended the curries. Curry was quite nice but rice was extra so the bill was north of 300 baht. Also a small portion. Asked for half rice half chips but that fell on deaf ears. Also had a pint of draught Stella which would have been great if it had been a few degrees colder.

Had a look up on the roof but zero shade and I didn't see any sign of fans. Impossible to sit up there dring the day but could have been nice in the evening.

All in all, nice layout and comfortable, <deleted> staff and overpriced. Nowadays not many places that serve draught Stella in Central Pattaya so may be tempted to give it another try.

• Thanks 2

On 8/20/2019 at 8:23 PM, pegman said:

That was more than 12 months ago. Ran it into the ground and dissapeared owing money all over town. The minor shareholders (inc. Retox) are now running it and I hear that things are improving.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

That was more than 12 months ago. Ran it into the ground and dissapeared owing money all over town. The minor shareholders (inc. Retox) are now running it and I hear that things are improving.

I agree, I tried it recently. Not particularly busy but priced reasonably, and still some lovely servers! I would say the menu is rather limited though.

As a side, beware Rosie's on soi 7 is having the dining area refurbished. Outside and a small interior area are still open for use. The interior part isn't much use though, kids running around and the pool table spoil it. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 8/19/2019 at 3:35 AM, Briggsy said:

I plumped for the Robin Hood Tavern in the end.

The food was great. The staff were very attentive

Good choice , I am always happy with the choices of food at RH, even if I'm not British.  Never had a bad meal there. Also air-con and big screen TVs is a big plus.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I agree, I tried it recently. Not particularly busy but priced reasonably, and still some lovely servers! I would say the menu is rather limited though.

As a side, beware Rosie's on soi 7 is having the dining area refurbished. Outside and a small interior area are still open for use. The interior part isn't much use though, kids running around and the pool table spoil it. 

For me the only advantage of Rosie's was that you could sit outside and smoke. Pig and Whistle had much better food though. Very surprised to hear it had closed. Used to love the cute little server in there who constantly gave customers grief.

22 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

It was not an Indian person that did a runner.

Retox are running it, along with the person who bought a share before the runner took off.