TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

webfact

I hope that all foreigner start to complain to their embassies.

Further, as a matter of fact, it is a discrimination of foreigners!!!!!!!!!

Thais never fill any form, when moving around in Thailand.

They are only registered at there blue house book location.

It really need to be done something about all these discrimination for foreigners.

I would guess, it will be a good idea when all the foreigners publish and post their negative 

experiences online.

So this country might lose there last tourists and foreigners to Vietnam etc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 3421abc said:

Great BBC picked up this story. Hopefully other news outlets will report as well. This should be an embarrassment for Thailand if they ever want to be a modern international country this kind of law only going against it.

And no doubt the BBC and others who broadcast any negative story will be blocked just as before as had happened in the last few years.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You dont travel around Thailand frequently.  If a biker takes a trip for a day or two every week he will have to make frequent illogical trips to the IO. The requirement has not been necessary in the last 30 years and its not necessary now. I travel frequently around Thailand from my base in Pattaya.  Many small guesthouses,  resorts,  AirBnB, do not bother with TM30 leaving me with a gap to explain which might get people intk trouble. The TM30 comes from an era of fighting armed communist insurgency and was introduced by a government that burned demonstrators alive. The TM30 is totalitarian and authoritarian.

..correct..and a lot of these small places you mention are not registered either, so they're not about to do anything until sprung.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, logres212 said:

Maybe an ankle bracelet would be easier... ????

my thoughts exactly..perhaps a yellow wrist bracelet ala the rubber ones for merit making with a chip embedded..oh then a Stat Dec by a witness to say you took it off for a shower and replaced it later.

• Like 1

Just now, Chazar said:

I do  not have never  done one my  current  plan is to  just pay the fine and if travelling only stay where my details are not required by either  using the Wifes  name when  booking or staying illegally in unregistered  places with the very small chance of capture.

Facial recognition however  will make that redundant in time and they will see Ive left an area.

Ill  move to a town thats split between two provinces and revert daily as i walk over the road back and forth to  immigration to let them know Ive been over the road to buy a paper etc

you will be ok...you only have a Purple 'C' to identify you by!

Owners of condos who are overseas who have tenants that come and go and fail to lodge TM30 forms is also a dilemma. 

Registering online has been an exercise in futility with the website never working and confusing.  What do owners do in this situation? 

Also, the 24 hour reporting every time you leave the province and stay elsewhere means you need to find an immigration office if not staying in a guesthouse or hotel (and even then you just need to hope they do the right thing).

Then there are often the horrific queues.  It hardly ever is a quick process unless you are able to get in very early ahead of the queue.  Been in Chonburi IO for 2 hours before and often an hour just to report.  Almost fainted from heat exhaustion.  Scuffles and arguments break out as tempers flare.  Seen it several times. Seen others just give up and leave. Is a massive disincentive to travel about frequently. 

Hopefully the system will at least be streamlined.  Maybe a scan and go process? Face recognition? 

Edited by aussienam

3 hours ago, Isaanlawyers said:

You wanna help, sign at www.reform-thai-immigration.com

Only 6,000 signatures. DO NOT BE AFRAID. No names given to immigration. Making noise and showing that it is not efficient, undated, bureaucratic, unnecessary is the way to go.

According to our internal survey, it is continues, 25% of expats in Isaan will leave Thailand. That's more than 2 billion baht in income for the area.

Anymore updates from officialdom yet? apart from the toe the line mindset

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

We were told that one time does it. No need to redo after each trip.

15 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

I hope that all foreigner start to complain to their embassies.

Further, as a matter of fact, it is a discrimination of foreigners!!!!!!!!!

Thais never fill any form, when moving around in Thailand.

They are only registered at there blue house book location.

It really need to be done something about all these discrimination for foreigners.

I would guess, it will be a good idea when all the foreigners publish and post their negative 

experiences online.

So this country might lose there last tourists and foreigners to Vietnam etc.

Embassies don't care, our govs & embassies don't want us living in foreign countries, frequently making work for them...they want us back in our own countries, working and paying taxes. Try complaining to your embassy and they'll say...we'll you don't have to be here, if you don't like it that much go back to your own country.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jamesbbkk said:

We were told that one time does it. No need to redo after each trip.

The law says every time.

The IO is encouraging you to break the law, and you will be liable for the subsequent fines. And they will be written by the hand of the same smiley IO.

On a second thought, they might ask a colleague to do it, to save face.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You dont travel around Thailand frequently.  If a biker takes a trip for a day or two every week he will have to make frequent illogical trips to the IO. The requirement has not been necessary in the last 30 years and its not necessary now. I travel frequently around Thailand from my base in Pattaya.  Many small guesthouses,  resorts,  AirBnB, do not bother with TM30 leaving me with a gap to explain which might get people intk trouble. The TM30 comes from an era of fighting armed communist insurgency and was introduced by a government that burned demonstrators alive. The TM30 is totalitarian and authoritarian.

No. If you stay at places that don't register you then no need to register when you return. No one knows you have been gone. No evidence no gaps.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, puchooay said:

You are going to sell your bike because a TM30 must be completed upon your return to your registered address? Really? Get online and register. It is very simple.

This whole TM30 saga has been blown totally out of proportion.

yu are not in the REAL Thailand

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Since arriving in Thailand in April, she has racked up immigration fines totalling 12,400 baht (£330). A large part of that is because her apartment manager failed to promptly file a form saying where she was staying.

So why has she paid the fine... the apartment manager is the guilty party ?

• Confused 1