The "leavers" that can't leave.

swissie

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you got 60-65 baht for the £ for a decade,and then 2016 (Brexit or not) it really started to drop,now you get around 37 baht for the £. It's a major drop. That's what he meant by doing the math every day. If the UK leaves without a deal in October, you "might" get around 30 baht for the £. About same as for the $. 

The fx issue is a biggie for some of you.

The USD bounces around 30-33, I've seen it for a while as low as 28.

But that pales in comparison to the drops against GBP & AUD.

Thats got to be a real mind focussing thought for many long term expats, almost halving your purchasing power, 65-37

35 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Maybe he should consider giving up drinking if he can’t afford it? Do people really need the dots connected for them that badly.... 

He can't afford going out drinking.

That's why he drinks at home.

And that's what he wrote in the post.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

He can't afford going out drinking.

That's why he drinks at home.

And that's what he wrote in the post.

By the sounds of it, he can't afford to drink at home either.

Sometimes in life, you have to make a few sacrifices. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The fx issue is a biggie for some of you.

The USD bounces around 30-33, I've seen it for a while as low as 28.

But that pales in comparison to the drops against GBP & AUD.

Thats got to be a real mind focussing thought for many long term expats, almost halving your purchasing power, 65-37

I am not from the UK myself,but I have several UK friends, and I also know friends of them. As you said 60/65 down to 37, that's a biggie. 

On 8/30/2019 at 4:31 AM, RichardColeman said:

If the Uk would relax financial laws on visas for my wife and child today, I'd be on the 0.01 am flight out tomorrow. And it really annoys me to think that as a UK Brit of 55 years that worked all their life, an unemployed EU citizen can bring their unemployed wife within hours !

I do rather think there are no bloody EU citizens.

There are, however, citizens from any if the countries in Europe that live in the UK, and I do think they get the same treatment as UK cutizens get in any of the European countries.

The problem however, is the unchecked stream of so-called fugutives plus family entering the countries of Europe including the UK.

They tend to get everything for free, are getting benefits you and I can only dream of.

Do remember that a very large portion of the people living in any of the European countries don't like, hate of abhor the undemocratic EU.

21 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

By the sounds of it, he can't afford to drink at home either.

Sometimes in life, you have to make a few sacrifices. 

Maybe his sacrifice was not to be able to go out having a few beer with his mates.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/30/2019 at 5:16 AM, ezzra said:

Some people who wishes to display their displeasures of a situation talk about leaving, As it was when Trump was running for president, many prominent people in the business and entretaiments circles has cried foul and 'threatened' to leave should Trump win, None of them did...

My reality as I approached renewing my Extension of Stay was being told that C. Mai Immigration was requiring a full years bank statement reflecting that 65K had been deposited monthly coming from outside the country and having it noted that one month fell short. The fact that I had additional funds in a separate bank here would not be allowed as C. Mai immigration was not allowing the "combination" method. I need not tell most here that we were told that this year there would be a relaxed approach but that next year the requirement would be strictly enforced so, you see my dilemma was potentially being forced to leave my only country of residence, moving the things I had brought with me, abandoning my significant other and her Daughter after living here 8 years. It was not to be a choice but a forced departure. Fortunately, the agency got me through for another year, My leaving would have been the result of changing immigration requirements and inconsistency in enforcement of laws ... not my choice,

Those rose coloured specs of yours are still making you a pain in the backside of this forum. The reasons most people remain is that they can afford to, have property they can't sell, or they have Thai wife and kids. Now take your pointless post and go annoy someone else.

• Like 1

A lot of us expats are "financial refugees" or "financial migrants" – same same – not meaning in general penny-less, but that a similar life-style might be difficult elsewhere, including, or plus, a variety of points mentioned by poster "aqua4"

On 8/29/2019 at 9:51 PM, aqua4 said:

Maybe:

1. The cost of relocating is a pain; (sell house/condo into a soft market)

2. Too old to move and start again;

3. Procrastination and gotten used to the uncertainty;

4. Hoping it changes; (which I doubt)

5. What to do with Thai wife and/or kids; (they are now a liability)

6. Just to lazy to do anything other than moan;

7. Hoping it does not affect them later as they can still wiggle for now.

I believe the reason thatmany of us farang expats moved to here – apart from weather and attractive, often female, companionship – is that we often could not keep a similar life-style at home, as we can have here, due to various costs and taxes.

Even we can afford to move on, we might rather decide to stay – however, I feel sincerely sorry for those that came with little, but enough when the came, and got stuck here due to currency exchange rates – and there might well be a silent majority that still are (very) happy with their choice of stay in LoS, even less funds are available compared to before, and even slightly more administration needed for the extended stay; even I post, I'm one of the happy ones, but some corners have been cut...????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

If you got 60-65 baht for the £ for a decade,and then 2016 (Brexit or not) it really started to drop,now you get around 37 baht for the £. It's a major drop. That's what he meant by doing the math every day. If the UK leaves without a deal in October, you "might" get around 30 baht for the £. About same as for the $. 

Anyone that planned a life on 65b to the GBP deserves what they get. That was a moment in time and a bad one at that. Seems like ever chav, hooligan and thug found Pattaya. Twas the end - 2005.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

He just needs >400k instead of >800k if he changes from a retirement visa to marriage. That's what he's talking about.

I'm fully aware of what he is talking about. My question was if he had a marriage visa and his wife died what visa would he have to apply for then?

If

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

I'm fully aware of what he is talking about. My question was if he had a marriage visa and his wife died what visa would he have to apply for then?

If my wife died, I get over 20 million from Insurance, then back to Retirement  extension. ????

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Everybody die eventually,then nobody could apply for a Marriage visa if they were afraid that the wife would die. 

9 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Next on my bucket list is to buy a wide beam and sale the waterways of Europe just need to sell my beach villa and separate apartment if anyone’s interested and has 25 million baht pm me

77A03782-FA95-4076-A7CB-3C545C3F8775.jpeg

You wouldn't get 2.5 mil. out of me for that. Pretentious, overpriced and ripped off.

good luck hoping for 25Mil.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Xaos said:

Isn't it Vietnam a better option now? Apparently visa hassle free options long term. Pretty woman etc. Not an Vietnam expert but would like to hear from one. 

Strange, isn't it? Every post that appears where others look at a country other than Thailand, the poster always seem to remark on the attractiveness of women there.

Nothing else mentioned about all the other positive things about the 'greener grass'.

Just stay in Thailand, mate, women will rip you off anywhere in the world.

Keep 'em keen - treat 'em mean! (And I don't mean abusive, either).

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

The OP seems to have hit a few nerves.  Good thing, I think, to see a reasonable discussion compared to the interminably boring TM 30 threads of late. 

The problem with many posters are that they don't seem to know there are expats from for example the UK out there with major financial problems due to bad luck actually. No one could anticipate the Brexit yes in 2016 that made the £ drop about 10 baht,and now Boris Johnson.

The £ dropped another 5 baht when he became PM and opened his big mouth, then the UK Embassy bs when they stopped issuing income letters. That triggered Thai Immigration to come up with new rules. Suddenly retirees had to show how the >65k was transferred. Almost every western currency have dropped in value the last year compared to the baht. That makes it suddenly harder for some to meet the >65k monthly requirement. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 10:42 PM, simon43 said:

I left 2 weeks ago ????

Simon I left last year.  Big problems renewing my retirement visa at CW.  Spent a full miserable day and couldn't get it straightened out.   I listen to friends still living in TH and try to be sympathetic about all this visa nonsense, but I think leaving is the best choice if you don't have all sorts of strings holding you back.  I didn't have property or a family.  That made it much easier I admit. 

I am back home in Chicago and looking at Mexico as the place to live for the winter.  Good Luck to everyone regardless of what decision they make.  Mexico requires nothing in the way of visas, tm-30, tm 28, 90 day report, putting funds in a mexican bank, getting health insurance etc.  Mexico gives you a six month visitor pass at the airport when you get off the plane.  That is the entire winter rigamaroll with immigration.   And warm and friendly with good food and great prices.  

I miss bkk and my old friends of so many decades but enough was ENOUGH! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simon I left last year.  Big problems renewing my retirement visa at CW.  Spent a full miserable day and couldn't get it straightened out.   I listen to friends still living in TH and try to be sympathetic about all this visa nonsense, but I think leaving is the best choice if you don't have all sorts of strings holding you back.  I didn't have property or a family.  That made it much easier I admit. 

I am back home in Chicago and looking at Mexico as the place to live for the winter.  Good Luck to everyone regardless of what decision they make.  Mexico requires nothing in the way of visas, tm-30, tm 28, 90 day report, putting funds in a mexican bank, getting health insurance etc.  Mexico gives you a six month visitor pass at the airport when you get off the plane.  That is the entire winter rigamaroll with immigration.   And warm and friendly with good food and great prices.  

I miss bkk and my old friends of so many decades but enough was ENOUGH! 

If you just want to be a snowbird you:re right Mexico is an excellent easy choice especially for North Americans. More permanent residency is of course more involved. There are many detailed posts about destination options in Mexico on the Latin America topic in farang pub. Personally I am Queretaro curious which is probably the safest big city in Mexico. But no beach.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, BestB said:

and one of the highest crime and murder rates in the world.

I don't think it is probably any higher than Thailand really.  In all countries you need to keep your eyes open and OUT OF places that are not safe.   In my last few years in bkk I avoided Pattaya entirely for that reason.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Everybody die eventually,then nobody could apply for a Marriage visa if they were afraid that the wife would die. 

But the initial poster was having difficulty raising the B800,000. If he got the marriage visa and sadly his wife passed away what would his alternative be? If he is getting on in years he would unlikely be enamoured with visa runs. Don't confuse the issue please.

14 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

I don't think it is probably any higher than Thailand really.  In all countries you need to keep your eyes open and OUT OF places that are not safe.   In my last few years in bkk I avoided Pattaya entirely for that reason.

It actually is but it's location dependent. So just go the safer places. Thailand has it's elevated danger issues as well, particularly traffic related.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

You don't know what you are talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If you just want to be a snowbird you:re right Mexico is an excellent easy choice especially for North Americans. More permanent residency is of course more involved. There are many detailed posts about destination options in Mexico on the Latin America topic in farang pub. Personally I am Queretaro curious which is probably the safest big city in Mexico. But no beach.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Personally I am Queretaro curious which is probably the safest big city in Mexico. But no beach.

I can see what you did there. Enjoy!

• Like 1