The future of Soi 6 from today on?

watcharacters

46 minutes ago, champers said:

Might get more customers from the new hotels.

Yes,I would think so. The problem with sois like Soi 6 are way to many bars. Even during the best years,you couldn't fill them all. There are not customers for 50 bars. Everybody understands that, except bar owners themselves. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Yes,I would think so. The problem with sois like Soi 6 are way to many bars. Even during the best years,you couldn't fill them all. There are not customers for 50 bars. Everybody understands that, except bar owners themselves. 

Soi 6 bars were never primarily about providing beer for seated customers were they? Didn't matter if it was a double-wide that could easily seat 50 customers, at best it probably only had half a dozen upstairs rooms available. The open air beer bar 'plantations' that come and go in various locations were places to sit and drink beer. Soi 6 not so much.

9 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Don't compare Hua Hin with Pattaya. Hua Hin is a joke. 

Hua Hin has a "minor| scene. But, the nice thing is that it has not really diminished over the years, that much. Unlike Samui, Phuket or CM. But, not comparing it to Pattaya in terms of sheer quantity, or even saying it is a comparable experience. Pattaya is unique, and hopefully it will stay that way. 

3 hours ago, brokenbone said:

ive lived here 15 years or so.

where does the prostitutes of pattaya come from ?

what village in thailand doesnt revel in whoring ?

whoring is primarily between thais,

that is, thai punter and thai prostitute,

and thais are everywhere in thailand,

ergo whoring is everywhere in thailand, it is rife with it, there aint a village or minute when a thai punter aint

whoring with a thai whore

And if that was even true, who cares?

9 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

I arrived here January 1994 and it was already called walking street by then, and traffic not allowed during the nightly hours till about 1 or 2 am.

Exactly, no traffic evenings or early nights. I came during world cup football 1994,and we watched the games in a couple of bars on walking street and yes, it was called walking street even then. That was almost the first thing my friends talked to me about. It seems like many posters have failing memories,or they weren't around a lot. I have done so many years in Pattaya and I have a good memory. Still here,by the way. ????

4 minutes ago, Ling Kae said:

And if that was even true, who cares?

lots of holier then theue white ole coffin dodgers

pretend pattaya is unique in prostitution in thailand.

if anything, at least pattaya got anything beyond prostitution & thieves, like western food & shopping malls.

personally i couldnt care less if the entire population walked around with incurable venereal diseases,

i wont be interested either way,

but the rants over pattaya are pathetic coming from

anyone living in thailand

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Exactly, no traffic evenings or early nights. I came during world cup football 1994,and we watched the games in a couple of bars on walking street and yes, it was called walking street even then. That was almost the first thing my friends talked to me about. It seems like many posters have failing memories,or they weren't around a lot. I have done so many years in Pattaya and I have a good memory. Still here,by the way. ????

Still making ascertains that my memory is fading or even worse! Your very confident your memory is good, I am not convinced!

Your memory is different to mine and different to Pattaya mail.

Here in black and white I prove to you yet again that you are wrong, maybe you were not around as much as you make out or maybe all those years drinking down there have had more of an effect than you want to admit to, as yet again you are convinced you are correct when in FACT you are wrong !

Or is the Pattaya mail wrong and not your failed memory? Its in print, the dates are there - prove me wrong instead of running off with your mouth please?

"Transforming Pattaya’s famous Strip sounded like a formidable vision. But that’s what appeared to happen last Friday when the ‘Walking Street’, as it is now known, launched its Food & Beer Festival sponsored by Singha. With the aim of improving the image, atmosphere and trade of the Strip, tables, chairs and umbrellas will line the road every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night through the holiday season."

http://www.pattayamail.com/230/home.htm

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Soi 6 bars were never primarily about providing beer for seated customers were they? Didn't matter if it was a double-wide that could easily seat 50 customers, at best it probably only had half a dozen upstairs rooms available. The open air beer bar 'plantations' that come and go in various locations were places to sit and drink beer. Soi 6 not so much.

So, you're saying that 50 bars on Soi 6 are not for drinking? I don't understand your reasoning. I'm not talking about rooms,even if Queen Vic has quite nice ones. 

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hua Hin has a "minor| scene. But, the nice thing is that it has not really diminished over the years, that much. Unlike Samui, Phuket or CM. But, not comparing it to Pattaya in terms of sheer quantity, or even saying it is a comparable experience. Pattaya is unique, and hopefully it will stay that way. 

The reason Hua Hin doesn't have that many bars and stuff is because there are restrictions. The King have had a residency there for an eternity, and that's why the local administration always try to keep it a bit more quiet. In the late 80's they still had speak easies outside town with girls. You just asked a tuk-tuk driver where to go if you wanted to have some fun. You never knew where you would end up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Exactly, no traffic evenings or early nights. I came during world cup football 1994,and we watched the games in a couple of bars on walking street and yes, it was called walking street even then

An article from 1998, you really need to refresh your memeory, it was called "The Strip"

"South Pattaya’s shopping and entertainment sector has its own character, which has become a symbol of Pattaya’s ‘image.’ The South Pattaya Strip is where it all began. In keeping with the trend to innovate and renovate, the citizens of South Pattaya have taken steps to further improve themselves. By using their own funds to publicize the strip they organized a working committee, made improvements, and organized functions to attract tourists by involving all the business people. Thus the ‘Walking Street’ was named."

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

So, you're saying that 50 bars on Soi 6 are not for drinking? I don't understand your reasoning. I'm not talking about rooms,even if Queen Vic has quite nice ones. 

Where did I say that? You can drink in them all day and all night if you want but their raison d'être isn't to ply punters with beer. If I want a beer, I go to a pub. If I want to drink beer and ogle some totty, I go to a beer bar. If I want the more esoteric sort of liposuction, a hand shandy or some horizontal mambo with an LBFM, I go to Soi 6 and order a beer as I make my selection(s). I'm not going to chug beers all day while surrounded by hookers and their johns... but whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Where did I say that? You can drink in them all day and all night if you want but their raison d'être isn't to ply punters with beer. If I want a beer, I go to a pub. If I want to drink beer and ogle some totty, I go to a beer bar. If I want the more esoteric sort of liposuction, a hand shandy or some horizontal mambo with an LBFM, I go to Soi 6 and order a beer as I make my selection(s). I'm not going to chug beers all day while surrounded by hookers and their johns... but whatever floats your boat.

I'm not a big fan of Soi 6 and I'm not a tourist. I'm not from the UK or Australia and those guys loves Soi 6. I'm just stating the fact that Soi 6 bars always used to do quite good. And many tourists still like to go there,but now not to many people anywhere in Pattaya. You can find almost deserted beer bars on second road,so if you like sitting there by yourself,go for it. 

9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I'm not a big fan of Soi 6 and I'm not a tourist. I'm not from the UK or Australia and those guys loves Soi 6. I'm just stating the fact that Soi 6 bars always used to do quite good. And many tourists still like to go there,but now not to many people anywhere in Pattaya. You can find almost deserted beer bars on second road,so if you like sitting there by yourself,go for it. 

I doubt Soi 6 is the exclusive domain of Brits and Aussies. Many Soi 6 bars are fronts for money laundering, same as many Irish or English pubs in Bangkok. Soi 6 used to be busier for sure. The whole short-time bar, beer bar, go-go bar construct is way, way past its sell-by date IMHO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chivas said:

Lol way off the mark....even back in 1992 there were four Iss Laguna, King Kong, Bullring and Blue Hawaii......by the time 1998 came around it was into double figures

Not forgetting Jimmy Macs, who opened in the late 80's, sold out to the Queen Vic, and opened a smaller bar, further down the soi, same name, for Nang's niece and husband to run. Sadly, Jimmy passed away nearly 20 years ago, but the bar is still there. 

Edited by Thaiwrath
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I doubt Soi 6 is the exclusive domain of Brits and Aussies. Many Soi 6 bars are fronts for money laundering, same as many Irish or English pubs in Bangkok. Soi 6 used to be busier for sure. The whole short-time bar, beer bar, go-go bar construct is way, way past its sell-by date IMHO.

Pattaya used to be busier,but it has nothing to do with the old or wrong concept. This is still Pattaya.

Now we're talking crappy exchanges for many western countries (especially the UK) compared to the strong bath. Then a lot of tourists goes somewhere else or stay at home,or wait until the high season and hope for the best. Phuket are -30% down in tourists and Koh Samui is also struggling. Your conclusions about Pattaya are way off. Visit a temple. Shouldn't be any hookers there, and they sell beer outside. 

On 1 September 2019 at 4:34 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Soi 6 is dreadful. The girls are not pretty. The bars play the worst music in the world  except Scooters and the foreigners are low class footie fan types. WS is much more fun and less sordid. 

You're right.  Footy is great!!

On 9/3/2019 at 3:56 PM, Max69xl said:

Try 50 bars on Soi 6, not a couple of dozen. But it's a bit slow at the moment. 

The last time I was there was 2 years ago under the present format. There was a serious army crack down at the time. Went into a few bars and the same in everyone   " can not sell beer until 6.30 pm" . <deleted> this is soi 6 and you can't buy a beer yet every other soi in Pattaya is open all day. Has this been resolved yet? Admittedly I have not been back since.

5 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

I presume you don't have many beers anywhere in Pattaya then.:coffee1:

Au contraire... my regular watering hole has no slappers and has been that way since its inception over 18 years ago. But there's enough of them around the corner if one feels the urge.

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Exactly, and there are no hookers working in beer bars, either. ????

In your rush to post your emoticon, did anyone here claim that there aren't any?

Are you familiar with the phrase "Don't sh!t where you eat"?

Edited by NanLaew

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Au contraire... my regular watering hole has no slappers and has been that way since its inception over 18 years ago. But there's enough of them around the corner if one feels the urge.

In your rush to post your emoticon, did anyone here claim that there aren't any?

Are you familiar with the phrase "Don't sh!t where you eat"?

I'm quite sure some top police brass Colonel Corporal Major Captain General Private Staff Sergeant ______________________  you fill in the blank declared not long ago, that there is no prostitution in Pattaya.

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Pattaya used to be busier,but it has nothing to do with the old or wrong concept. This is still Pattaya.

Now we're talking crappy exchanges for many western countries (especially the UK) compared to the strong bath. Then a lot of tourists goes somewhere else or stay at home,or wait until the high season and hope for the best. Phuket are -30% down in tourists and Koh Samui is also struggling. Your conclusions about Pattaya are way off. Visit a temple. Shouldn't be any hookers there, and they sell beer outside. 

To be honest, I wasn't aware that you were related to Einstein.

When you said "a lot of tourists goes somewhere else" you should have stopped there because that's all that's important. When they go somewhere else, they are not coming to Pattaya. If they stay at home, by default, they are no longer a bloody tourist.

If you use the yardstick of the increasingly hard to define high season, the decline of Pattaya has been going on for a lot longer than the current "crappy exchanges" which I take it to mean the strong baht.

"Phuket are -30% down in tourists and Koh Samui is also struggling" but you suggest that "still Pattaya" has a certain, unique je ne sais quoi that will magically let it carry on in its current shape and form and dodge all these bullets? Previously, the high season (and the better part of the low season) was built on returning sexpats who have slowly stopped returning. The 'older and fatter' ones that are still coming back squat in mostly empty bars wondering why the 'older and fatter' girls prefer to chat with their younger boyfriends on smartphones instead of rubbing the old goats crotches, whispering lies in their hair-tufted ears and sewing fantasies of a coming night to remember that aint gonna happen.

But I'll stop there. I don't want to be guilty of spoiling your surprise.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I'm quite sure some top police brass Colonel Corporal Major Captain General Private Staff Sergeant ______________________  you fill in the blank declared not long ago, that there is no prostitution in Pattaya.

I'm sure he's not the first and won't be the last.

What's your point BTW?

Why do so many of you care about Soi 6?  I used to once in while walk down Soi 6 to see if any of them met my expectations.  I always left alone.  It's a great place to pick up a disease or bed bugs.  

Bed Bugs would be preferable.