The future of Soi 6 from today on?

watcharacters

Last night the Mrs. and I went to Bella Italia restaurant for some pizza.   It's literally a stone's throw from Soi 6.  Upon leaving  the restaurant I jokingly said to the Mrs. would she like to  get some vendor food, which I've seen her do in the past after eating a large meal (bottomless pits that Thai ladies are).     She replied to me  "they're gone".   Lo and behold, I hadn't noticed when we walked in, that  a large section of property across the street has been partitioned with construction fencing   that I can only imagine portends the construction of a large hotel.

I'm referring to the hind side on the Soi 6 bars on the north side of the street.

Got me to wondering what does tomorrow bring for this iconic slice of Pattaya?

• Haha 1

It's my understanding that Chang owns all that land, plus the Grand Sole Hotel next to it, the big empty lot on Beach Road, and the Imperial Hotel.  It's all slated for development and redevelopment.  Lots of changes for the good going on in north Pattaya and it's gotten very busy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

a large section of property across the street has been partitioned with construction fencing

Its been that way for years now.....Its been so long I forgot what was there before...

Not quite so. McDonalds has been demolished along with some other derelict properties and a few small businesses that won't be missed. Add in the land all fenced off closer to Klang that used to house a coach & car park and restaurants at Beach Rd and Second Road ends. Chinese leasing off Chang is what I have heard. For what? Time will tell.

I recall reading in the BP that Grand Sole hotel has been sold to a company called AWC or ACW. It will be refurbished and re-opened, though no timescales were given.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Well there are 2 kinds of Chinese......The Thai-Chinese which I would not worry so much about and then there are the Mainland Chinese which I would be VERY worried about........See Cambodia.......

I am sure it is the latter. Just to go slightly off topic, Naklua has many more Chinese businesses opening; mostly restaurants; and a greater number of well heeled Chinese tourists in the locale as customers. Ditto Jomtien too.

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

Sir...... Soi 6 is a National Treasure.....Soi 6 should be declared a World Heritage site...Soi 6 is world famous and Pattaya should be proud of it.....Thailand at its finest is what I say......  

Sure, as long as you know what they usually mean when they use the expression "not the sharpest knife in the box".

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

a large section of property across the street has been partitioned with construction fencing

Its been that way for years now.....Its been so long I forgot what was there before...

I have the same problem. I always ask myself what was there before and blame myself that I am so forgetful. They should put there a picture what is gone. Sometimes I look on Google Street View. 

Perhaps they build a high rise building with many bars. Can't imagine that anything else fits there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I have the same problem. I always ask myself what was there before and blame myself that I am so forgetful. They should put there a picture what is gone. Sometimes I look on Google Street View. 

Perhaps they build a high rise building with many bars. Can't imagine that anything else fits there. 

Except that the bars would likely to become expensive shops, a mini mart and laundry shop, where nobody buys.
Nobody buys into property with prostitutes / bars right at the entrance level... At least, I doubt those buyers they have in mind will.

Edited by tabarin

3 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Except that the bars would likely to become expensive shops, a mini mart and laundry shop, where nobody buys.
Nobody buys into property with prostitutes / bars right at the entrance level... At least, I doubt those buyers they have in mind will.

If they wanted to those bars could be flattened in days to build yet another badly needed hotel or shopping mall...

• Haha 2