can anyone read Japanese, are these sulfuric or hydrochloric acid tablets ?

steven100

Hi all,

I have got a musky drain smell coming from the bathroom shower drain. I have tried baking soda, vinegar, hot soapy water, dishwashing liquid, blu loo cleaner, but nothing seems to work.

I purchased these 4 tablets from the hardware, however I'm reluctant to drop them down the drain as when I tried one at the drain opening just sitting it in the circular cup at the top of the drain, I added water and it is bubbling, foaming and smells like some kind of acid gas ….

I just didn't want to drop it down into PVC pipeware.

Could it damage PVC piping if they are hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid tablets   ????

IMG_20190910_093953.thumb.jpg.5332bfb68f7ceab5b7a9b6c4fe80f3bf.jpg

IMG_20190910_094041.thumb.jpg.56ee1357575cbe3c6cb46f93da864ddb.jpg

Thanks,

steven100

Taking a picture which allows people to actually read what's written would increase your chances of getting an answer.

But this is most likely some kind of acid. PVC pipes are standard in Thailand and such products are widely sold here, so i would not expect problems.

• Like 1

It is almost certainly sodium hydroxide (lye) based, unfortunately the (unreadable) Thai label is over the actual ingredients list.

It is definitely drain cleaner, that much I can read on the front of the package.

Fizzing and bubbling is what it's supposed to do, don't breathe the vapours.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It is almost certainly sodium hydroxide (lye) based, unfortunately the (unreadable) Thai label is over the actual ingredints list.

Thanks Crossy …  so you think no problem dropping these into PVC pipeware. 

I managed to peel of some of that back thai sticker ….

IMG_20190910_105020.jpg.b2754f0a0e89624d750841a251a5d59b.jpg

OP should show us a picture of the drain in question. 

A properly built and installed drain cap has a water seal to stop stinky smells from coming up through the pipes and into the room. 

Its more likely your your problem lies in the drain cap rather than the smell. 

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

It's alkaline, so certainly sodium hydroxide, safe in PVC pipes.

Use warm (40oC, not boiling) water, about a cup or two just enough to dissolve the tablet.

• Thanks 1

Just go to the local ma and pa shop and get a 1kg bag of caustic soda.  Might want to use googl translate  and print out the Thai translation.  The last time that I bought it I went to my normal shop and asked for it and even di the act of pouring it in the drain but she told me "no hab"!  I said "Hab" and went and pulled out a box of the stuff that was behind the nails which were stored under the water pump displ!  It was still in the place where it was years ago!  Funny ting is I usually can't remember where I put my glasses 10 minutes ago!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

IMG_20190910_105020.jpg.b2754f0a0e89624d750841a251a5d59b.jpg

If you use the google translate app it does an excellent job of translating the Japanese on the label, though you will need to get a bit more of the paper off

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Shinro: Japan SANADA FCC Pipeline Cleansing Agent International Article: 4984324012641 Material: Surfactant such as oxalic acid, organic acid, voice base: Japanese standard: diameter 2.5cm / single 10g * 4 

Quantity: 4 jaws  Characteristic 
1. Sensakuen Pond, Senbetsu Pond, Bath Red, Footwear, Washing Machine Pipeline Kiyosei for this product: 
2. 2. Enriched fragrance essential oil, one of the best deodorizing taste and more bacteria mucus, natural washing, deodorizing and disinfecting  Number of merits 
3. 3. Yui-free gas component, sung-out Tateoka taste.  
5. How to use: 
6. 1. Use immediately after clean-up and clean-up 
7. 2. Direct throwing out wash basin, wash basin, bath red drainage mouth open watering part, full 40 degrees left and right hot water off and down comparison  Favorable: 
8. 3. Household septic tank cleaners Can be used: 
9. 4. In-house drainage outlet, pre-existing surface release small amount (50-100cc) warm water, re-tablet tablet etc.  Liquid solution for liquid residue was introduced and offshore.  
10. 5-powder injection 20-61 minutes purely heavy water.  
11. 6.Used in heavy summer under foul pickled and odorous conditions.

One has to love the translation of para 11 number 6 as that may describe some people's needs.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1