Conduit Types & Questions

RideJocky

I am confused about the various available plastic conduits.

Looking at my trusty SCG catalog, there is:

Yellow

White JIS

White BS

Just guessing I’m assuming the JIS & BS are Japanese and British standards, but what it the yellow? What are the differences, and which is “best”?

Also, which is most readily available?

Finally, is there a table of what size conduit is appropriate for different conductor sizes?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, RideJocky said:

I am confused about the various available plastic conduits.

Looking at my trusty SCG catalog, there is:

Yellow

White JIS

White BS

Just guessing I’m assuming the JIS & BS are Japanese and British standards, but what it the yellow? What are the differences, and which is “best”?

Also, which is most readily available?

Finally, is there a table of what size conduit is appropriate for different conductor sizes?

Yellow is "Manufactured in conformity with TIS. 216-2524 "Standard for Rigid PVC Conduit for Electrical Wiring and Telephone Cable."

You you have missed that there is also grey PVC

They are all readily available. 

White is in metric sizes and I'm using it in my workshop as I've standardised on 20mm for my benchdogs.

Yellow is the standard for electrical conduit, the appropriate size of conduit it the one in which the number of wires fit comfortably. 

The most commonly used size is ½" (22mm OD)

IMG_8180.thumb.PNG.ec5d3b39d3c39d063600cd4059ff2139.PNG

Yellow is "Manufactured in conformity with TIS. 216-2524 "Standard for Rigid PVC Conduit for Electrical Wiring and Telephone Cable."

You you have missed that there is also grey PVC

They are all readily available. 

White is in metric sizes and I'm using it in my workshop as I've standardised on 20mm for my benchdogs.

Yellow is the standard for electrical conduit, the appropriate size of conduit it the one in which the number of wires fit comfortably. 

The most commonly used size is ½" (22mm OD)
IMG_8180.thumb.PNG.ec5d3b39d3c39d063600cd4059ff2139.PNG

Thanks for the response.

I was hoping to get an idea of what size conduit was appropriate fo which conductor sizes without having buy material and experiment.

I was also hoping someone knew what the benefits of one over another are. I’m starting on some wiring in the building and I’d like to stay consistent and satisfy and code there might be.

This NEC document may be useful https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/93306059-0A90-458D-8596-3D8AE79F72E4/0/ElectricalTrainingConduitSizing.pdf the 60% fill looks well stuffed.

Sizes are US but you can find the O/D of the metric cables you will be using from the Bangkok cables website http://www.bangkokcable.com/product/bcc_catalog

Generally don't go much over 30% fill or you'll struggle to pull anything if there are any bends.

If you have a lot of cables together then trunking will be easier to get the cables in and provided you are not getting near the maximum load then you can go to 60% fill or more.

15 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

Thanks for the response.

I was hoping to get an idea of what size conduit was appropriate fo which conductor sizes without having buy material and experiment.

I was also hoping someone knew what the benefits of one over another are. I’m starting on some wiring in the building and I’d like to stay consistent and satisfy and code there might be.

There is no code, that anyone follows. But crossy has given the answer above.

The benefit of yellow is that it's specifically recommended by the maker for the job, grey is not.

The size I told you ½" is standard unless there are to many wires to fit in it then they use 2, or trunking, which will not be yellow.

This NEC document may be useful https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/93306059-0A90-458D-8596-3D8AE79F72E4/0/ElectricalTrainingConduitSizing.pdf the 60% fill looks well stuffed.

Sizes are US but you can find the O/D of the metric cables you will be using from the Bangkok cables website http://www.bangkokcable.com/product/bcc_catalog

Generally don't go much over 30% fill or you'll struggle to pull anything if there are any bends.

If you have a lot of cables together then trunking will be easier to get the cables in and provided you are not getting near the maximum load then you can go to 60% fill or more.

Thanks, that is helpful.

I’m all about easier...

There is no code, that anyone follows. But crossy has given the answer above.

The benefit of yellow is that it's specifically recommended by the maker for the job, grey is not.

The size I told you ½" is standard unless there are to many wires to fit in it then they use 2, or trunking, which will not be yellow.

Near as I can tell (from the SCG catalog) the yellow is rigid and the white JIS & BS is bendable. The SCG grey is recommended for agricultural.

Incidentally the BS white seems to offer more selection than the JIS white so I’ll plan on going with that, although it will likely be the one I can’t find...

Well, visited the local Global House and it was pretty disappointing.

Did not seem to have any 4mm^2 in stranded. They did not seem to have any 1/2” bending springs, or any pulling lubricant.

Guess I’ll try Thai Watsadu tomorrow...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

59 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Don't know if it's any help, but I have used the blue water trunking. I pull the wire's through before sticking the joints together. Nothings getting into the blue ones once glued. Works for me. Inside and outside.

Problem with that outside is it can, and probably, will fill with water, maybe not soon but probably in time. 

1 hour ago, RideJocky said:

Well, visited the local Global House and it was pretty disappointing.

Did not seem to have any 4mm^2 in stranded. They did not seem to have any 1/2” bending springs, or any pulling lubricant.

AFIR you didn't say where you are but a reasonable electrical supplier is a better, and often cheaper, source. They will have bending springs. I've never seen anyone using pulling lubricant.

AFIR you didn't say where you are but a reasonable electrical supplier is a better, and often cheaper, source. They will have bending springs. I've never seen anyone using pulling lubricant.

I’m in Lat Krabang, BKK

I’ve seen lubricant used on some job-sites here.

I happen to have sections of both BS white and thai yellow and there is no difference in rigidly 

My assumption is based only on the fact that they list bending springs for the JIS & BS white in the catalog, but not for the yellow.

Also, the spec you posted referred to the yellow as “rigid”.

30 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

I’m in Lat Krabang, BKK

I’ve seen lubricant used on some job-sites here.

Lots of better places than Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu to buy electrical stuff, local information will probably be along soon. You are not far from HardwareHouse, but I'm sure there are places closer.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Problem with that outside is it can, and probably, will fill with water, maybe not soon but probably in time. 

How the Buddha can it get water in it. The blue ones are designed to take water through them without leaking. Might I suggest a Little thought before you post next time.

9 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

How the Buddha can it get water in it. The blue ones are designed to take water through them without leaking. Might I suggest a Little thought before you post next time.

I did think and have had experience of those kinds of pipe taking in water, you have never heard of a pipe getting cracked form sun exposure or ground movement if under ground? 

Why do do you think that above ground best practice is IMG_4407.thumb.JPG.0cf1610be07434ae989553289be5c0b4.JPG

metal, that doesn't seal or painted PVC again not glued and underground is HDPE/LDPE that doesn't need joining.

15 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Through your ends and boxes if you are not using IP68 boxes and glands (which you don't have when they are water pipes).

Trust me, outdoor conduit WILL fill with water by capiliary action even if it's not under ground. An open drain at the lowest point is your friend.

To be honest, outdoor rated cable run naked is just fine unless there's the danger of mechanical damage.

Our indoor (yellow) conduit was all bent cold without a spring by our first sparks.

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@eyecatcher I'm sure can tell you how his electrical pipes got full of water ???? 

Absolutely they can. I had what i think was a combination of using the cheap internal wall yellow back boxes on a fence and push fit non cemented pipe joints.

Having said that, if your cable is in one piece its not an issue. The underground conduit only serves the purpose of keeping it safe(r) from a spade cut.

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Trust me, outdoor conduit WILL fill with water by capiliary action even if it's not under ground. An open drain at the lowest point is your friend.

There is also the condensation caused by cooling the extremely humid air, that may actually provide more water than capillary action. 

Ask anyone who has dealt with outdoor electrical work what they think of people who thought sealed equipment was a good idea and the fun they have had repairing the problems it caused. 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

ALL my IP65 outdoor flood lights lived up to their name, 1/2 full of water after a few months.

In over 12 years of fitting blue water pipes to take wires I have never had a problem with water. I have used it to power the gate motor also the water pump, and my pond power points, including the Flood lights. Where I had an open end (Two) to let the wire go to the flood lights I pumped those full with mastic. No open ends at all so how is the water going to get in???

Have I checked well of cause. When I had a new motor fitted the stupid builder cut through a Blue pipe buggering the wire, and it was as dry as a bone inside. That had been in the ground for over 10 years.

Now been replaced including the wire that was soldered on the joints with shrink wrap over the solder joints that's been ok for over 4 years. If I had got water in the pipe it would have got into the solder joint and made a short. Glad to say Not happened.

Archived