Non O-A Visa from Thai Consulate Los Angeles

Medical certificate (must be notarized)

How did you accomplish that -- presumably you didn't haul the Notary Public into the doctor's office to verify his signature.....?

Copy of applicant’s airline tickets showing flight to Thailand.

Stupidest requirement I've ever see... Do they think your wasting all your time and resources to get a visa you don't plan on using?  And, if in fact they do require this (?), they're putting you in the position of probably purchasing a ticket in a less than optimum window for best price. Probably invented by the same guy who came up with enforcing the TM30 ludicracy.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, JimGant said:

How did you accomplish that -- presumably you didn't haul the Notary Public into the doctor's office to verify his signature.....?

Stupidest requirement I've ever see... Do they think your wasting all your time and resources to get a visa you don't plan on using?  And, if in fact they do require this (?), they're putting you in the position of probably purchasing a ticket in a less than optimum window for best price. Probably invented by the same guy who came up with enforcing the TM30 ludicracy.

The notary isn't for the Dr. it's for you. Crazy as it sounds, at the Hollywood location, I took my medical cert across the street to a place that does it all, copies, money orders, and they notarize. I wrote on cert.......I certify this is my original signature and I signed it. Cost was $17.00, but it made absolutely no sense.

No questions about Med Ins for me, did ask me to email flight details. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am just curious for the reason why you did not further extend your stay as you did for 8-9 years, and re-applied for a Non Imm OA Visa.

The advantage is of course that with the new Non Imm OA Visa you will be able to unfreeze the 800.000/400.000 THB in the thai bank-account if you did choose that method, and have it that sum at your disposition for almost 2 years.  But of course there could be many other reasons for re-applying.

• Like 1

I'm considering getting a nonOA in LA as well.  But, the only place I've found to do the medical certificate here in Las Vegas wants $400.  That seems ridiculous.  Has anyone found a better deal somewhere in LA?

Thanks.

Wellnessmart.com

An occupational health clinic chain with the following locations:

Van Nuys, Torrance, Long Beach, 1000 Oaks and 3 in Orange County.

Did my OA med with them 3 years.  This not one of those “Sign” here places.

Actually did blood and urine tests.  Total cost was about $300.  I had to use them because of my doctor(pre Obama Care) was not in my new Insurance plan network.  

• Thanks 1

I'm considering getting a nonOA in LA as well.  But, the only place I've found to do the medical certificate here in Las Vegas wants $400.  That seems ridiculous.  Has anyone found a better deal somewhere in LA?

Thanks.

I just use my own doctor. I drop off the form, he signs it and the office mails it back to me, all at no charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Of course you know that Medicare is of no value in Thailand. 

Maybe indirectly it is. I could really be wrong, but I believe medicare pays for a significant portion of my Kaiser Plan now that I am well passed the age of sixty-five and Kaiser does cover me in Thailand. I was told I would have to pay out of pocket first, but they, Kaiser, would reimburse me later.

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I got my nonOA from that consulate 3 years ago by mail. Sent duplicate copies of everything listed on their web site along with my USA passport and a check for $200.

Got passport back in less than 10 days, done and done.

Same experience here but I think the price has gone up. Used the same FedEx shop across the street to do it all by mail both ways. Very little documentation required when using their service. Lightning fast turn around too. Think I was without my passport for 3 business days. Probably 3rd time I have used them over the years. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Of course you know that Medicare is of no value in Thailand. 

Well it is if you have a supplemental plan as Plan G - it is designed for emergencies and has a $50,000 lifetime limit. Just to go to see the doc - you are correct Medicare does not work outside the USA but I already knew that and the reason for a supplemental plan.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am just curious for the reason why you did not further extend your stay as you did for 8-9 years, and re-applied for a Non Imm OA Visa.

The advantage is of course that with the new Non Imm OA Visa you will be able to unfreeze the 800.000/400.000 THB in the thai bank-account if you did choose that method, and have it that sum at your disposition for almost 2 years.  But of course there could be many other reasons for re-applying.

I normally extend-renew in February but was in the USA working so the visa expired. I certainly was not going to take time of the job and fly just to renew-extend. That would have cost lots of $$$$$. Lost income and the plane tickets. I also got a new passport in the process. Of course they would have transferred to the new passport if I had been in country

However I did show my old passport with all my Non-OA visas-extensions and no overstays.

MJ

Edited by imjmn

8 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Thanks.

I suggest if you have primary care physician the you use them or go to an Urgent Care facility. I went to my regular doctor he in LA and he took care of the medical form for me. As noted I would have called a Mobile Notary but my doc took carte of that himself.

As additional info related to notary cost. Bank of America and Wells Fargo will do it for free even if you are not a customer.

MJ

Glad I found this thread. It is pertinent to my situation. I'm heading to LA Consulate for my (US) first Non-imm O-A retirement visa in November. It has been a confounding and crazy-making process so far with all the changes and bad information, and value everybody's experience with this process. 4 copies, 2 copies, 3 copies. Plane ticket, no plane ticket, back to plane ticket. Notary, no notary, fellow at Consulate says wrong, it's all notary, now only med. cert. notary...

Is this process always a moving target? Is this a manifestation rising from the turmoil in Thai Immigration?

Glad I found this thread. It is pertinent to my situation. I'm heading to LA Consulate for my (US) first Non-imm O-A retirement visa in November. It has been a confounding and crazy-making process so far with all the changes and bad information, and value everybody's experience with this process. 4 copies, 2 copies, 3 copies. Plane ticket, no plane ticket, back to plane ticket. Notary, no notary, fellow at Consulate says wrong, it's all notary, now only med. cert. notary...

Is this process always a moving target? Is this a manifestation rising from the turmoil in Thai Immigration?

I have purchased seven non imm o-a multi entry visas from the LA Thai Consulate via USPS (never been there in person) over the past eight years (most recently in a July of this year) and have seen few, if any changes. Follow the requirements from that specific Consulate’s website and you should have no problems.

• Like 1

Same experience here but I think the price has gone up. Used the same FedEx shop across the street to do it all by mail both ways. Very little documentation required when using their service. Lightning fast turn around too. Think I was without my passport for 3 business days. Probably 3rd time I have used them over the years. 

Nope, price has not changed. I just got one in July.

13 hours ago, imjmn said:

I normally extend-renew in February but was in the USA working so the visa expired. I certainly was not going to take time of the job and fly just to renew-extend. That would have cost lots of $$$$$. Lost income and the plane tickets. I also got a new passport in the process. Of course they would have transferred to the new passport if I had been in country

However I did show my old passport with all my Non-OA visas-extensions and no overstays.

MJ

HI imjmn,

Thanks for your response on my query.

Yes, when you were in your home country (USA) the moment your extension of stay expired it would have been very expensive and time-consuming just to fly back to do the extension in Thailand.  And there is absolutely no need for doing that, as you can simply re-new your Non Imm OA Visa (as you did).

Not only that, but there are other advantages of re-newing your Non Imm OA Visa when you are over in your home country.

The main advantage of course being that with the new Non Imm OA Visa you will be able to unfreeze the 800.000/400.000 THB in the thai bank-account if you did choose that method, and do not need to park it again for almost 2 years. 

Another minor advantage being that during the 1st year on your new Non Imm OA Visa, re-entry permits will not be needed when leaving Thailand for a short or long trip abroad. 

14 hours ago, imjmn said:

Well it is if you have a supplemental plan as Plan G - it is designed for emergencies and has a $50,000 lifetime limit. Just to go to see the doc - you are correct Medicare does not work outside the USA but I already knew that and the reason for a supplemental plan.

The supplemental G sounded good but its limitations make it of questionable value depending on circumstances. From medicare.gov:

If you have Medigap Plan C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M or N, your plan:

Covers foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn't otherwise cover the care.

Pays 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.

Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.
---------------
And from another site:
If you decide to retire in a foreign country, you will not be eligible for Medicare supplement insurance. You will have to buy insurance from an agent or exchange in that country.
---------------
With a visa based on retirement in Thailand if you tried to use this insurance you may run into problems, for sure if the claim is happens past day 60. But you have other insurance so not a concern for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 12:31 AM, JimGant said:

Actually I hate the idea of making and paying for a plane ticket before having a visa.  What if the visa is not approved or there is some other glitch?  And I have found over the years that often I get a fine ticket price near the last minute as the airlines drop prices to unload unsold tickets

2 options for fingerprint background checks:  

1.  Fieldprint.com

2. Applicantservices.com

Both companies will complete an FBI LiveScan background check.  

The company you choose will be dependent on your location(how far you are willing to drive).  On both sites you have to complete a lengthy application form with a lot of personal information.  Then you choose the date, time and location.  

2 options for fingerprint background checks:  

1.  Fieldprint.com
2. Applicantservices.com

Both companies will complete an FBI LiveScan background check.  
The company you choose will be dependent on your location(how far you are willing to drive).  On both sites you have to complete a lengthy application form with a lot of personal information.  Then you choose the date, time and location.  

Depending upon your state of residence there is another option as well. In WA state, I buy a background check via the WA State Patrol website. The cost is $11 plus another $10 for a notarized copy. Easy.